LMDE as main OS

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE as main OS

Post by excollier »

Will it be safe to assume that LMDE is a good OS to use as my main working OS? My wife has started to use it now and we both like it, and it seems stable and works well with our printer/scanner.
Would I be better to keep at least a dual boot with a different OS just for safety's sake or can I rely on it solely? I really would like to kick the distro hopping habit and settle on one OS.
Registered Linux user #557695
Mint 17.3 XFCE &Debian 9.1 XFCE dual boot (desktop), Raspbian Jessie (Raspberry Pi)
Windows 10 VM (I know) so I can work from home.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: LMDE as main OS

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, if you are happy with LMDE there is no reason not to have it as your main OS :) Some users find it handy to have a "backup" OS installed (not specifically for LMDE; for any OS there are users that do this)--in case they do run into some kind of problem. But if you have the LMDE ISO, you can always boot from that and use that as your emergency/recovery system.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Thanks, after reading reports of breakages when UPs are released, I was worried it may become problematic from time to time, which I definitely can do without.
I am relatively new to linux, so I don't really understand the deeply technical stuff, I just want a usable OS and I really like LMDE, especially not having to re-install.
Mint 17.3 XFCE &Debian 9.1 XFCE dual boot (desktop), Raspbian Jessie (Raspberry Pi)
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Well, on the forums you mostly read about users with problems of course. Everybody for which it just works you don't see posting much about it :wink: That said, when a new UP arrives it can cause problems. Generally you will be using the LMDE "latest" repository, the default one. Other users may be using the LMDE "incoming" repository and that would get them the UP a few weeks ahead of you. So common upgrade issues will already have been fixed, or solutions/workarounds will have been documented on the upgrade issues forum.
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pfeiffep »

excollier wrote:Will it be safe to assume that LMDE is a good OS to use as my main working OS? My wife has started to use it now and we both like it, and it seems stable and works well with our printer/scanner.
Would I be better to keep at least a dual boot with a different OS just for safety's sake or can I rely on it solely? I really would like to kick the distro hopping habit and settle on one OS.
I noticed one of your OSes is a Windows variety. :wink: Please evaluate carefully your uses of Windows prior to choosing a single OS.
Perhaps you intended to choose a single Linux dist and keep Windows. I know I certainly am not *YET* willing to completely replace Win 7.
Keeping a live dvd of another dist is certainly a worthy consideration.
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cwsnyder »

For system stability in a backup OS, Debian stable (presently Wheezy 7.0), or a year old or older Ubuntu/Mint LTS version is what I like. For me, I like a extreme dependability in a backup OS, so I don't have upgrade issues happening while I'm trouble-shooting problems with new software on what is my 'working' OS. My working OS is where I try out software with which I am not familiar, which may cause problems, but I need the software to get something accomplished. My backup OS or machine, I must depend on to be able to access the Internet to search for solutions and to copy my /home partition data in case of extreme re-installation or software glitches which overwrite data, so I DON'T have the latest apps, may not have the latest browser, but do run it regularly to make sure that nothing has trashed its installation and check for critical updates.

In the last 6 months, my Debian installation has gone from Squeeze to Wheezy, and while that change was being tested, my Debian install went from my backup OS to a working OS (along with Bodhi) while I actually used my LMDE install as my backup OS, since it had had relatively few updates while waiting for Wheezy to go stable.

Of course, suspected extremely unstable software, like Ubuntu or Mint Alpha or Beta releases I try out in a VirtualBox VM.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

The only thing I can think off is that you might prefer more GUI support for example for users & groups or menu edits
--although you can do it via text edits or some lxde or other GUI tools that do work with xfce

Other than that and a simpler menu structure: xfce is just like any other desktop Linux OS
--updates, at least from repositories mostly work and applications install fine.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

pfeiffep wrote: I noticed one of your OSes is a Windows variety. :wink: Please evaluate carefully your uses of Windows prior to choosing a single OS.
Perhaps you intended to choose a single Linux dist and keep Windows. I know I certainly am not *YET* willing to completely replace Win 7.
Keeping a live dvd of another dist is certainly a worthy consideration.
I am referring to my HP Pavillion with 5 distros on it, Windows will be left on the other computer along with a Mint LTS of some vintage.
I have several live dvd isos as an emergency along with a Puppy Linux on usb.
As long as LMDE stays reasonably stable then it will be the #1 os of choice.
romanyacik
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE as main OS

Post by romanyacik »

I made my own computer. I use LMDE exclusively. I've used the main edition, openSuSE, and Ubuntu in the past. I've never felt any need to use windows, although I do have a copy, I never used it. In fact, if you believe what it says on the gnu.org philosophy page, you're probably better off not using windows.
Last edited by romanyacik on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

I'm using LMDE as my main OS since about one year with few problems. I "survived" well to UP7 and UP8. For me, this is a trustworthy OS, perfectly capable to do serious work. I have also Win7 in dual boot, "just in case", and for a printer that won't work in Linux 64bit, but 95% of the time I'm in LMDE.
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)

Return to “LMDE Archive”