unable to solve "something went wrong" (sad PC) message

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
guydo
Level 1
Level 1

unable to solve "something went wrong" (sad PC) message

Post by guydo »

Hi,
I am a new LMDE user after years with Ubuntu, with intermediate linux knowledge, happy to find a "bridge" to Debian: thank you!

I installed LMDE on my Asus eeepc S101 (Atom N270, ram upgraded to 2GB) and it was running well before something happened: now the system boots but it always ends up with a sad PC message "something went wrong" and it forces me to end the session.
when log in as superuser the session starts normally, so I guess it could be a user profile issue (corruption /errors):
could you please help me in recovering from that problem without having to reinstall the system from scratch? (I did not set a separate /home partition).

I see two possible causes for the problem:
- I left in dual boot with LMDE my previous Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (in order to complete the migration), and when I booted the old system Ubuntu performed a disk check before I could stop it: could it have caused the problem "fixing" some disk errors?
- I tried to manually compile and install some lexmark drivers, but afterwards I discovered I compiled the files in the bad order: could this have messed up something?
- I don't remember if the problem appeared after some updates, I would say no but I am not sure about it.

I hope somebody could help me quickly.
Thank you
Chrisnz
Level 2
Level 2

Re: unable to solve "something went wrong" (sad PC) message

Post by Chrisnz »

Hi I'm thinking it might be the dual boot issue? However ... did you have a backup of files prior to loading LMDE? Thats always a good place to start - from my history on changing Os's?
guydo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: unable to solve "something went wrong" (sad PC) message

Post by guydo »

dual boot isn't an issue as it has been working for some time (both LME and Ubuntu) before the problem appeared, and indeed it is still working although LMDE session starts correctly if I login using my account [from the shell: I disabled themed login] but only if I"startx" as superuser.
I think something messed up my profile but I guess if there is an intermediate solution other than deleting the account or reinstalling the system.
The message "something went wrong" should be more clear about what went wrong.
Any workaround?

Return to “LMDE Archive”