LMDE 64bit default install getting slower and slower

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
LouDorn
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE 64bit default install getting slower and slower

Post by LouDorn »

Hello,

I installed LMDE Cinnamon 64 bit on a new WD Caviar Black hard drive 1-TB and am booting directly to it. I have a separate drive for my Win 7 Ultra 64 install.
The install went fine with no issues at all.

I did a default install on a (older by today's standards) computer with a Gigabyte MB EP-45, Duo core Intel chip running at 2.88 conservative O.C., 8 gigs ram, ATI 4870 vid card. All hard drives have been checked with Western Digital Diagnostic Software run under Windows 7 Ultra64. I pointed my bios to the Linux hard drive and boot directly to it.

I have not changed anything except to add my bookmarks to Firefox.

Each time I click on a web page, or scroll up and down on a web page I get significant lag while the hard disk activity led comes on and it takes 3 or 4 seconds before changes on the screen take place. This also goes for opening programs on the desk top. The system seems to be taking longer and longer to work with. The hard drive activity light comes on for almost every mouse click. The system is stable but the lag times or disk drive accessing time seems to be getting worse.

Any known issues? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by LouDorn on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerom
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE 64bit default install getting slower and slower

Post by Jerom »

Try monitoring your hard drive with SMART attributes and quick/full test ... http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/monitoring-hard-disks-smart
It might be dying...
(Backup all important data to another disk first !)

LouDorn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LouDorn »

Jerom wrote:Try monitoring your hard drive with SMART attributes and quick/full test ... http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/monitoring-hard-disks-smart
It might be dying...
(Backup all important data to another disk first !)

Hi,

Thanks for that information. My hard drive has checked out ok.
My windows 7 64 install on the same computer (separate drive) is fast compared to LMDE.
I'm talking about 3-4 seconds or more and watching the disc led active the whole time. Really slow.
Never had this occur with other Linux installs in the past. Usually Linux is a little snappier then Windows. Maybe I should do a wipe and clean install again to see if anything improves. I haven't changed anything yet as I have been in testing mode.

I'll keep reading and searching mean while.

Jerom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jerom »

What filesystem are you using ? EXT2/3/4, another one ?
(It should not lag over time but it may help for investigation...)

LouDorn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LouDorn »

Jerom wrote:What filesystem are you using ? EXT2/3/4, another one ?
(It should not lag over time but it may help for investigation...)

Whatever the default file system is used when installing off of a 64 bit ISO file.
I downloaded a LMDE Cinnamon 64 iso file burned it to a disc and did a default install.
All I told it was which drive to install to. I will guess that it is the EXT4 system. That is the latest?

Just amazing how much disc activity (mostly reading) is taking place before programs open, websites change etc..

Like I said, I am testing this to see if I want to keep using it which is why I haven't changed one thing from the default install except Fire Fox book marks.

Thanks again.

Jerom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jerom »

LouDorn wrote:Just amazing how much disc activity (mostly reading) is taking place before programs open, websites change etc.
This doesn't look normal at all, do you have another spare disk to try and install LMDE to ?

Otherwise you can give a try to Update Pack 7 that is coming in the following weeks that might overwrite and fix a corrupted package that give you these problems (?)
(And/or solve an issue with your unsupported hardware with the latest kernel 3.10...) :roll:

Good luck.

Return to “LMDE Archive”