Check this before upgrading LMDE Cinnamon/GnomeShell to UP7!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
stanley82
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Check this before upgrading LMDE Cinnamon/GnomeShell to

Post by stanley82 »

That was no good at all. In fact it's made it worse.
Originally I used the upgrade icon and it downloaded tons of stuff, including something to do with fortran that I do not use. It took ages then when I got back my desktop was empty ie no ions, menu etc, so ctl alt F1 sudo poweroff, reboot okay but could not type into a terminal .
sudo apt-get -f install ** told me to run sudo dpkg --configure -a which I did followed by
sudo apt-get -f install then sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
now it tells me /var/lib/dpkg/lock is locked "are you root?"
So then should have done su
apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
AND AND LONG long long long time running and eventually back to where I started not able to type into the terminal or root terminal. I'll try a reboot. an.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

All this sounds like an experience from someone who haven't read the first post in this thread.
And it's not recommended to reboot a half-upgraded system.
Myself
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Myself »

Have had to Give-Up on 64bit LMDE despite loving it due to Update Failures!
Have had no problems with 32bit Updates... ...until now!
After Update it defaults to a crazy 'noveau' (?) version of Nvidia driver and I get a greyed-out screen at log-in but I can enter password and it sort of starts but only after lots of clicking can I see 3 icons.. ...and then it all goes White!!!
Recovery mode is exactly the same as it doesn't default to a basic diver that will work 'no matter what' - as in Windowz, which I Hate!
Thanks for the warnings - After I do the Updates!
One major issue with the Updating is that it is 'all over the place' - no logic at all!
Would it not be best to Update the System first before Updating Applications?!
CPU = U9300, 4GB RAM, Intel GM45 Graphics @ resolution 1366x768, 128GB internal drive, 6TB external storage, Main OS = LMDE Xfce 64bit UP4. 2nd OS = LMDE Xfce 64bit UP4, Other installed OSs = Bodhi 1.4.0, Ubuntu 10.04 & 12.04, Mandriva & Windows.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Myself wrote: I get a greyed-out screen at log-in but I can enter password and it sort of starts but only after lots of clicking can I see 3 icons.. ...and then it all goes White!!!
Recovery mode is exactly the same as it doesn't default to a basic diver that will work 'no matter what' - as in Windowz, which I Hate!
You have been hit by this bug: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 35#p819517
Solution will reach MintUpdate this afternoon and packages are already available.
Myself wrote: Thanks for the warnings - After I do the Updates!
That's your problem guy! If you don't read the blog, UP notes or forum, then it's your fault. Not mine.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Return to “LMDE Archive”