Problems with "new" Advanced partitioning system.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Zilashak

Problems with "new" Advanced partitioning system.

Post by Zilashak »

Hello everybody, i must say that after posting here i have been looking for information, but i havent found yet anything wich could help me, thats why i came here finally.
I must say im still newbie with Linux/GNU and still have got lot of things to learn.

Well, im going to explain my problem, with the new LMDE 201403, in the installation you have 2 option for partitioning your system, doing it on a simple disk or the advanced mode, here is my problem, in the old installations methods in the advanced mode i could select many differents disk to distribute it, now i am asked to mount my partitions on /target, and i really dont have any idea wich this means, i have been looking information but nothing found.

What i want to do is next:

SSD:
/dev/sda1 for /boot
/dev/sda2 for /

HDD:

/dev/sddX for /home

Well, i dont really know what this new feature wants me to do and im stuck here for 1 day now.

So , if anyone could help me and explain what is the matter i have to do, and then continue with my installation.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jenia

Re: Problems with "new" Advanced partitioning system.

Post by Jenia »

It means you need to mount the partition to /target, like this:

Code: Select all

su
cd /
mkdir target
mount /dev/sda2 target
cd target
mkdir boot
mkdir home
mount /dev/sda1 boot
mount /dev/sddX home
That will install it in the "distribution" you've described.
Then you'll just have to remember to set the system to mount these things whenever it starts
Zilashak

Post by Zilashak »

Thanks you! :)
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Same here, I was wondering confused. ADVANCED USERS ONLY? How advanced? I am not newbie, I have used fdisk, I have installed Debian before (a long time ago - I liked it, but was useless on laptop w/wireless - NO I do not like having a wireless dongle hanging outside my laptop. I shudder at the tought of picking said laptop up, raking the dongle off on something and trashing the laptop).

/target ? - well that's cleared up. Thank you.

Do not mount virtual devices such as /dev, /proc, /sys, etc on /target - Is /tmp a virtual device?

During install you will be given time to chroot into /target to install any packages that will be needed to boot you new system. - what packages? why? I never had to do that before when I installed Debian.

During Install you will be required to write your own /etc/fstab - why? I never had to do that before when I installed Debian.

I am really am not sure what a lot of this means, but I do not want to go back and do the default install. I need a /temp and want a /home, and I want to size them to my needs.

You need to make the installer work like the one on linuxMint 16 so someone can easily carve up their HDD the way they want it, or supply some reference material so they can become ADVANCED enought to the complete the operation.

There is a difference between showing someone what they don't know, and educating them.
sbazzeguti

Post by sbazzeguti »

Jenia wrote:It means you need to mount the partition to /target, like this:

su
cd /
mkdir target
mount /dev/sda2 target
cd target
mkdir boot
mkdir home
mount /dev/sda1 boot
mount /dev/sddX home
That will install it in the "distribution" you've described.
Then you'll just have to remember to set the system to mount these things whenever it starts
Im trying to install LMDE from this morning ...

If I typr

su
terminal ask me for a password .. what I have to type ?

May be

sudo su 
Will work instead of

su
?

Cause is the first time in my life I have to put password root to install a new OS

Plz A help will be appreciate ... thanx !!!
sbazzeguti

Post by sbazzeguti »

Ok ......

sudo su

seems working

But the problem is still how to do all the thing in the list at the end of the installation ..... really I don't have any idea this will become unbelievable os istallation 's....

There is update tutorial?

Or its better if I wll change distro ?

Many thank in andvance for the help cause Im really in trouble ... really :(
sbazzeguti

Post by sbazzeguti »

Switched to main Mint Quiana ...

Return to “LMDE Archive”