LMDE Cinnamon to MATE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
joejohnston3
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE Cinnamon to MATE

Post by joejohnston3 »

Hi All,

I installed LMDE Cinnamon earlier today before realizing there was a MATE edition and really like the MATE look. Is it possible to convert my Cinnamon to MATE without doing a reinstall? It is not a big deal but may be easier to install the MATE DE versus installing the whole system over again. I just wanted to ask before taking the plunge.

I really love the LMDE and am impressed with the development team! Thank you for all your hard work.
Joe Johnston
Linux Mint KDE
"All the best people in life seem to like LINUX." Steve Wozniak

joejohnston3
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE Cinnamon to MATE

Post by joejohnston3 »

Okay, I followed the directions on this website and things seem to be working well so far, http://www.itworld.com/software/408166/ ... ux-mint-16

The only thing I wasn't sure about is that the default taskbar is at the top so apparently LMDE does some specific configuring to MATE that I will need to figure out or just install MATE edition fresh.
Joe Johnston
Linux Mint KDE

joejohnston3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joejohnston3 »

Well, I decided to stick with Cinnamon as it has a few features I consider critical such as the Sound Preference Output Device and it has a clean interface. I like MATE a lot but I think Cinnamon has won me over. :)
Joe Johnston
Linux Mint KDE

darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

joejohnston3 wrote:Okay, I followed the directions on this website and things seem to be working well so far, http://www.itworld.com/software/408166/ ... ux-mint-16

The only thing I wasn't sure about is that the default taskbar is at the top so apparently LMDE does some specific configuring to MATE that I will need to figure out or just install MATE edition fresh.
Just out of curiosity, I thought that it was 'dangerous' to mix Ubuntu repositories into the regular Debian-based LMDE ones? Isn't that what these instructions are suggesting?
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

darethehair wrote: Just out of curiosity, I thought that it was 'dangerous' to mix Ubuntu repositories into the regular Debian-based LMDE ones?
Oh yeah it is!
darethehair wrote:Isn't that what these instructions are suggesting?
Not exactly since this tutorial was primary intended to install MATE 1.8 in Linux Mint 16 (so the one based on Ubuntu)
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

joejohnston3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joejohnston3 »

Yes, that was a concern of mine and last night I removed the MATE from my system to avoid issues!
Joe Johnston
Linux Mint KDE

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

joejohnston3 wrote:Yes, that was a concern of mine and last night I removed the MATE from my system to avoid issues!
If you want MATE on your system, use the instruction given in the MATE wiki page: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download "Debian Jessie' section. You may have to pick one lib from Debian Testing. Be careful :)

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I don't think it's needed - it should be enough to install mint-meta-debian-mate from the Mint repo.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Monsta wrote:I don't think it's needed - it should be enough to install mint-meta-debian-mate from the Mint repo.
Sorry, I should have been more precise in my previous message :lol:

If you want MATE 1.8, then you should use MATE install wiki.

woodsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by woodsman »

I used the LMDE Mate disk as my base and then installed the Cinnamon meta package and dependencies. I am having no problems running both desktops.

There are some duplication in the menus and control centers, but nothing horrific. I still need to play with that but I suspect fiddling with OnlyShowIn and NotShowIn in the duplicate *.desktop files will resolve the problem.

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

You can run the menu editor (in MATE it's called mozo) and uncheck the entries you don't want to be displayed.

woodsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by woodsman »

You can run the menu editor (in MATE it's called mozo) and uncheck the entries you don't want to be displayed.
True, but that applies only to each user. :) We want the changes to be system-wide. Modified *.desktop files in /usr/local should suffice, but I still need to test. Another system-wide option is to modify the /etc/xdg/menus.

Return to “LMDE Archive”