"shockwave flash has crashed" Iron & Chrome Browsers

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Ubulindy
Level 2
Level 2

"shockwave flash has crashed" Iron & Chrome Browsers

Post by Ubulindy »

The last 2 weeks or so I've been getting a yellow bar at the top of my browser that says "shockwave flash has crashed". Happens on random sites. I've tried every flash player. Still happens. It doesn't happen in Firefox, only Chromium/Iron Browser, which is what I use. Recently I uninstalled mint-flashplugin, mint-meta-codecs
mint-meta-debian-codecs and I'm using adobe flash. It still happens. Does not happen on youtube for example, happens on every video on ebaumsworld.com and other random sites. Anyone have any ideas what is causing these crashes?
“When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Re: "shockwave flash has crashed" Iron & Chrome Browsers

Post by bobafetthotmail »

On Chromium I always install the flash plugin used in Chrome (pepper), with package pepperflashplugin-nonfree (downloads Chrome, extracts the plugin, installs it in Chromium), and I can see videos on the mentioned sites just fine.

as for the crashes, maybe it's hardware acceleration options. If they are enabled on a device that lacks hardware acceleration for flash, flash becomes unstable.

I think you should reinstall codecs, btw. Needed by most players.
Ubulindy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ubulindy »

I installed the pepperflash plugin like you suggested, and while it might be used in Chromium, it isnt in Iron ( SRWare Iron Browser ) for some odd reason. Iron shares everything with Chromium. Iron is what I use almost exclusively. Flash is still crashing. I'm now thinking this might be an Iron issue and not per se a flash issue. Thanks for your help :)
“When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

This is something I've experienced occasionally for a long time, previously on chrome on XP and occasionally here on chrome on linux. That said it's never happened to me continuously on the same site and reloading the page usually sorts it out.

Now a days I run with all plugins turned off and have to select each one ( a flash video for example ) to run individually, which ' hardens' the browser and stops auto starting flash objects inserting malware into my browser. Since opting to manage my browsing in this way the only time I ever see a shockwave flash crash is on this very site where I run with all plugins enabled to allow Clem and the team to maximise advertising revinue.

I appreciate this doesn't answer your question about cause, just thought it worth a mention as I've always assumed it was due to loading errors and now I load flash separately it seems to have stopped.

If you wish to know more about setting chrome plugins to run as I do I'll be happy to elaborate.
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

ah, the script in the package I said above works only for Chromium because it's hard-coded for Chromium.

For Iron Browser there is a guide here to do manually what is done by that script http://ag8.alltagsgrauen.info/tying-the ... rware-iron
Ubulindy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ubulindy »

Ahhh bobafetthotmail ...... thats really nice!!! Thanks you SO much! :)
ctav01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ctav01 »

Please elaborate WinterTroubles. Thanks.
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

Hi ctav01.

This setup of loading flash objects and the like separately and only upon selection on google chrome is fairly simple, yet deceiving at 1st glance.

Start by opening the settings page.
Then navigate to the privacy section ( in the advanced settings extension at the bottom of the page).
Next click on the 'content settings' button.
Then navigate down to plugins in the window that opened.
Once there you want to select 'block all', Do not select 'click to play' as this merely hides flash video etc and does not either load it separately or offer protection against malicious code in autoplay objects.

Once this is set up the placeholders of flash videos etc will display grey with a jigsaw puzzle piece in the middle. To play a particular flash video simply RIGHT click and select 'run this time'. You will also notice a similar jigsaw piece next to the favourites star in the address bar, some pages require plugins to load correctly in which case you can click this icon and select run this time, then reload the page correctly.

It probably goes without saying that this only offers protection from malware if you only run plugins on sites you trust. More info about reducing risk in google chrome can be found by searching with terms like; chrome, privacy, security... and the like :)
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Meh, if you want to harden the browser you need to lockdown javascript (not same thing as java). Flash is more of an annoyance (when every page you see is 2-3 mb due to Flash ads a slow connection chokes and a capped connection is wasted for nothing).
Chrome and collegues have limited support for blocking javascript (can blanket-block but it's not an easy to reach option nor it is discerning so as to not block javascript used to actually run the page) and the one-stop addon for firefox Noscript cannot be ported over for this reason.

Ghostery addon is good for locking down all tracking and ads while remembering some sites where you allow them.

Also, a heads-up about chrome/ium/iron addons getting bought by evil parties and becoming adware/tracking/malware http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01 ... d-updates/
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

bobafetthotmail

I already run a hardened browser with a set up similar to the one you mentioned, that simply wasn't the question asked in the OP though so I didn't want to fork the thread :)
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

GNU Terry Pratchett
salemcmr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by salemcmr »

I've the same problem in Chrome 37.0.2062.120, I'm sure this problem comes with the last update and the tips at the internet want work for me.
My workaround is downloading the last version before 37.0.2062.120 from http://mirror.pcbeta.com/google/chrome/ ... me-stable/ extract and replace the pepperflash in /opt/google/chrome/ with the version from the previous version...
for me it works :-)

Return to “LMDE Archive”