[solved] can I get help installing espeak-gui?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ejames82
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] can I get help installing espeak-gui?

Post by ejames82 »

can I get help installing espeak-gui?

I recently installed linux mint debian with mate DE. the previous linux that I was using had espeak-gui in the synaptic. I am no longer able to find it there and my linux skills are beginner, but I do know how to copy and paste into the terminal.
when I had espeak-gui setup before, I was able to lick the icon, and paste the text into the box. it was so easy and it worked super. my reading is horrible. it is by far the most used program the computer has to offer me.

could I get expert advice and guidance getting espeak-gui working? I would be most grateful.
Last edited by ejames82 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
py-thon
Level 4
Level 4

Re: can I get help installing espeak-gui?

Post by py-thon »

espeak-gui should be there. If the package doesn't exist in synaptic you either have the wrong view in synaptic (synaptic's search engine sadly is dumb and might not show you espeak-gui if you enter just part of the name) or you have the wrong repositories. If you are not sure about your repositories type

Code: Select all

inxi -r
and show us the output.
Tower: Sparky 64 bit Mate+mintmenu - Netbook: Sparky 32 bit Mate+mintmenu
ejames82
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ejames82 »

ed@edmint ~ $ inxi -r
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/ testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
deb http://extra.linuxmint.com debian main
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list
deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free #Opera Browser (final releases)

thanks, py-thon
ejames82
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ejames82 »

it just occurred to me to try this:

ed@edmint ~ $ sudo apt-get install espeak-gui
[sudo] password for ed:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package espeak-gui is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'espeak-gui' has no installation candidate

of course, it didn't work.
py-thon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by py-thon »

Your repos are ok.

It seems that currently espeak-gui is not part of Debian testing/jessie, only part of stable/wheezy and unstable/sid.
Probably I installed it when it still was and of course it remained, even though it currently is not in the repository.

What you can do is download it directly from Debian https://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/espeak-gui . The version 0.4-3 from wheezy is the same I have got here. It works (but I never got the mbrola-voices to work with it, judging from google results I'm not the only one).

As you said you are a beginner, do as follows:
1. Check whether all the listed dependencies (dep: ....) are installed on your PC (you can check that with synaptic).
2. Download espeak-gui (link: all).
3. Check checksums (run md5sum from terminal or use gtkhash) to make sure the package is complete.
4. If there are no missing dependencies you can click (or double-click, depending on your settings) the downloaded deb-file and gdebi will do the rest.

If there is just one or two missing dependencies (with no missing further dependencies of those dependencies) you can download them as well (and check checksums).
5. Have all the downloaded packages (deb-files) in one folder which does not contain other deb-files.
6. From within this folder start a terminal and run

sudo dpkg --install *.deb

This will install all the deb-files contained in that folder and that's it.

If there are more dependencies or dependencies in several levels the above solution gets too complicated. In this case it is better to temporarily add the Debian-repository to your sources (contained in /etc/apt/sources.list.d), install espeak-gui and let apt or synaptic solve the dependencies. Immediately afterwards you remove the Debian-repository from your sources.
You mustn't do any other updates/upgrades or changes to your system with the Debian-repo or you could seriously damage your system.
In case you need this I am sure there is some guidance of how to temporarily add a repo in this forum. I haven't done anything like this since sources.list was substituted so I won't try to explain.
Tower: Sparky 64 bit Mate+mintmenu - Netbook: Sparky 32 bit Mate+mintmenu
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

Fwiw... once you download a DEB file you can right-click on it and select "Open with Gdebi Package Installer". You'll get a GUI for Gdebi and it will do all the work for you if you're lucky. If there are dependencies involved it will get them first (of course that's IF they are in the LMDE repositories). I have had good luck with this method myself and it saves extra downloads sometimes.
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240
ejames82
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ejames82 »

I checked dependencies in synaptic.

gconf2
yes
python
yes
python-espeak
yes
python-gconf
yes
python-gtk2
yes
python-gtksourceview2
yes
python-gtkspell
was not installed, but was in synaptic so I installed it
python-support
yes
python-xdg
yes

recommended: libtextcat0 - package not available

clicked 'all' at the bottom of the page
went to a new page.

added the first mirror under 'north
america' to sources.list via software centre

ran

sudo apt-get update
espeak-gui was now in the synaptic. it installed without a hitch and is now working. I am really happy about this. :)

I went back to software centre and removed the 'new' repository and 'updated cache'. I would hope this tells the operating system that the repository is no longer available to use and no conflicts can be caused by it.

thanks for all the replies.
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

ejames82 wrote:I went back to software centre and removed the 'new' repository and 'updated cache'. I would hope this tells the operating system that the repository is no longer available to use and no conflicts can be caused by it.
That was actually brilliant and I've used that method to mess with graphics drivers. Your repositories should be ok now, no problem.

Can you edit your first post and add <SOLVED> to the subject? Might help someone else out too.
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240
ejames82
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ejames82 »

thanks for the reminder, gtsfer. I will try.
ejames82
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Re: can I get help installing espeak-gui?

Post by ejames82 »

I put [solved] in the subject line. I hope that properly marks it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”