No Sound in Chrome on LMDE [OK NOW BUT DON'T KNOW WHY]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

No Sound in Chrome on LMDE [OK NOW BUT DON'T KNOW WHY]

Post by darethehair »

This is very strange. My up-to-date LMDE system was giving me trouble i.e. unexplainable desktop/app freezes multiple times a day, becoming worse over time. I decided to simply re-install it on a spare partition and copy all my old stuff over -- which is working just great since I have had no more freezes.

From my past experiences with sound problems on my LMDE machine, I knew I had to add the following entry to '/etc/pulse/default.pa' in order to prevent the non-sound-capable HDMI digital connection being used:

Code: Select all

set-card-profile 1 output:analog-surround-41+input:analog-stereo
This helped to get sound working again, including in Firefox -- but NOT in Chrome! This despite the fact that it is the same version of Chrome (37.0.2062.94) that I was already using. Using various diagnostic techniques (i.e. pavucontrol) I learned that the Chrome 'app' was NOT sending any sound to any of my sound devices. I compared back to my previous working LMDE, and noticed that it was an app named 'chromium' (not 'chrome') that was the working source source -- but in my new LMDE install there is no such activity. Here is a screenshot showing the working activity:

In this screenshot, 'ALSA' is what Firefox is using for sound playback (e.g. YouTube) and 'Chromium' is what Chrome is using for sound playback. This Chrome sound playback is missing in my new LMDE installation.

Help? Comments? I also installed Chromium, which works just fine (using 'Chromium' as the sound source, naturally I guess).
Last edited by darethehair on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: No Sound in Chrome on LMDE [OK NOW BUT DON'T KNOW WHY]

Post by darethehair »

OK, is anyone successfully getting sound on YouTube videos on Chrome in LMDE? If so, can you check the 'Playback' setting in 'pavucontrol' while running the video and tell me what sound source is generating the sound?

I have no idea why my version of Chrome is NOT generating sound via 'Chromium' like it did in my previous install....

UPDATE: Without me doing anything, I now 'suddenly' have sound again in Chrome. Problem solved? Well, I didn't 'solve' anything -- but the problem seems to have gone away for totally unknown reasons :)
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

Return to “LMDE Archive”