Keyboard is crashing

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
John Foster
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard is crashing

Post by John Foster »

Linux Mint 17 LMDE 64 bit; for some unknown reason after a period of idle time the keyboard is shut off. Just does not work. I can reboot & it works fine. Also doesn't happen with Windows 7 pro on same multiboot system; Or standard Debian or Unbuntu.
Any tips
Thanks
John

py-thon
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Keyboard is crashing

Post by py-thon »

John Foster wrote:Linux Mint 17 LMDE
There is no such thing as Linux Mint 17 LMDE. Either you use Linux Mint 17 or you use LMDE.
Tower: Sparky 64 bit Mate+mintmenu - Netbook: Sparky 32 bit Mate+mintmenu

John Foster
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Keyboard & mouse are crashing

Post by John Foster »

Well a few months ago I posted this question & there was really no answer that provided any help so I thought I might try again:
I have LMDE installed and currently updated. Since I installed LMDE, I have encountered the issue of the keyboard and the mouse crashing after an idle time period. It occurs randomly. This system is used as a web server so it runs constantly. When the keyboard & mouse go down, it seems to leave the server functions un affected, and Apache, MySQL, & Mediawiki run OK & do their job. However as stated before I have to reboot to get the keyboard & mouse to reactivate. The issue does not occur on Windows 7Pro or BSD as this is also a multiboot OS testbed. It does occur no matter what keyboard or mouse or combination I use, as I have tried several & they all fail equally. I am completely at a loss here, so any helpful replies will be appreciated.

darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Keyboard is crashing

Post by darethehair »

Sorry, I offer no solution to you, but have you checked for any messages ('dmesg') to see if anything useful is stated when these failures occur?

Since the keyboard is failing, have you tried plugging in another one (in case it is hardware-specific)?

Sometimes I also leave an open terminal window with the following output running in it:

Code: Select all

sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

Return to “LMDE Archive”