[EDITED] How to make LMDE-MATE look like GNOME3?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
man_without_clue
Level 1
Level 1

[EDITED] How to make LMDE-MATE look like GNOME3?

Post by man_without_clue »

Hi all,

Originally, i had posted this question as "How to install GNOME on LMDE-MATE?", however I found that's something I really shouldn't do since getting rid of GNOME was the one main thing for creation of LM. So, ok, I understand.
Now I want to know how to make it "LOOK LIKE" GNOME3 D.E.

My original post is below:

I have installed LMDE2 MATE just days ago. While I enjoy out-of-box working environment of LMDE2, my wife just doesn't like the MATE desktop.

We are using Debian Wheezy for main OS and she uses standard GNOME there.( I use LXDE)

I would like to add GNOME to LMDE for her, but how do I do that? She just wants something simple as she doesn't want to deal with long passage from the "Menu" to whatever she wants to start, and she doesn't like Shortcut icons on the desk top :roll: ...She just wants to retain the look of GNOME that she's used to with Wheezy.

Any suggestions?

What I want is desktop look similar to GNOME, and also what I personally don't like about MATE is that the scroll bars of windows are way too thin, it sometimes irritates me to grab with tiny mouse pointer. (That's the reason why I use LXDE)

Can anybody suggest me the best solution?
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [EDITED] How to make LMDE-MATE look like GNOME3?

Post by xenopeek »

You'll get the best experience with the officially supported desktop environments on LMDE 2, but others should all be possible as long as they are available on Debian 8. Might take a bit of doing to install Gnome Shell.

In any case, you might instead want to look at Xfce with Xfdashboard. Xfdashboard is a Gnome Shell like dashboard for Xfce. WebUpd8 has a video showing it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ni1JHUt14. I haven't used it myself, don't know how active it is maintained, so look more into it before diving in :)
man_without_clue
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for suggestion.

I had bit of problem with Xcef back when I was using it with Mint Maya, since since then I haven't used but maybe, that could be the choice. I think I will be playing with it for while.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

man_without_clue wrote:

What I want is desktop look similar to GNOME, and also what I personally don't like about MATE is that the scroll bars of windows are way too thin, it sometimes irritates me to grab with tiny mouse pointer. (That's the reason why I use LXDE)
Is MATE controlling your scrollbar size or is it your theme? Maybe you could use the customization feature in the theme selector to create what you want or perhaps you could hack your theme code? I use the old AlaDelta theme and have color customized it to a gray color scheme. It comes with wider scrollbars and perhaps some other older themes do too.
man_without_clue
Level 1
Level 1

Somewhere I saw there is the way to modify the thickness of the scroll bar of MATE, I haven't been able to try that. Actually I like LXDE, but my wife just wants that GNOME3 looks since that's what she's been using since the debian Wheezy. I might just upgrade to Debian Jessie when it comes out on April 25th since for her use for now.

Haven't tried XFCE yet though.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

man_without_clue wrote:Somewhere I saw there is the way to modify the thickness of the scroll bar of MATE, I haven't been able to try that. Actually I like LXDE, but my wife just wants that GNOME3 looks since that's what she's been using since the debian Wheezy. I might just upgrade to Debian Jessie when it comes out on April 25th since for her use for now.

Haven't tried XFCE yet though.
'Maybe' this will work ----

Let's say you are using the gtk-3.0 Mint-X theme:

Code: Select all

sudo pluma /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css
Find:

-GtkRange-slider-width: 10;

Change it to whatever width number you desire.

Code: Select all

sudo pluma /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
Find:

GtkScrollbar::slider-width = 10

Change it to whatever width number you desire.

Not all scrollbars will change until you logout and log back in.

Adjust the theme name in this routine to the gtk-3.0 theme you are using.

Also, I'd suspect if there's ever an update to your theme it's going to overwrite your custom settings. Putting the custom copy in your home .themes folder and using that one will resolve that if you prefer not to edit the updated theme.
GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

I installed the Cinnamon version of LMDE2 and then installed Gnome through Synaptic. A bit of work to add all the Gnome bits like Nautilus and make it the default.

Now I have LMDE2 Gnome Edition. It all works as it should.

If I run Cinnamon I can have desktop icons appear in Gnome but it is just a matter of turning them off in Cinnamon - which is no issue as I run Gnome Shell. Gnome will run with MDM as the log in, but I went all the way and changed to GDM3. Gnome is supported by Debian so this is not a big stretch. I also enabled systemd as the init system as Gnome and systemd go hand in hand. You may ask why I just do not install plain Debian and there is no answer to that other than I can install either way and for the moment this is how I am doing it.
man_without_clue
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for late reply...
I just haven't had time to play around with LMDE much since then...
Soon after I posted this thread Debian Jessie was released and I of course installed it, now that has become our main OS. My wife prefers older GNOME than the new release that comes with Jessie but still she prefers GNOME over other D.E.

I have Debian Jessie, LMDE2, now LM 17.1 each installed in separate HDDs in one machine, 95% of time running Jessie.

I still would like to know if there are any easier way to tweek/customize the MATE though.

Return to “LMDE Archive”