Xfce 4.12 now in testing

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Xfce 4.12 now in testing

Post by GeneBenson »

Just an FYI for anyone running Xfce and tracking testing. Xfce 4.12 entered testing today. Upgrade went fine and everything is running smoothly here.
For anyone who jumped the gun and got 4.12 from the Mepis repository this upgrade will upgrade most of what was installed already. :D
jahid
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Xfce 4.12 now in testing

Post by jahid »

I am running 4.12, It's on Xubuntu though. Everything's great so far..

At first I was having some problem with thunar, but they got fixed pretty soon with version 1.6.6.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop
aurquiel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aurquiel »

What is the repository of xfce 4.12? could you posted it, please? I would like to try it
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

<Moderator On>

This is a thread about xfce 4.12 on LMDE 2.
Therefore any Ubuntu based PPA, Xubuntu, Linux Mint 17.1 xfce, and any other Ubuntu based objects are irrelevant for this thread.
This is why, too, all posts discussing the LaunchPad xfce 4.12 PPA have been cleaned from this thread.
They could only mislead users to try out Ubuntu based PPAs on LMDE 2, which is no good idea, unless your aim is to break LMDE 2.

<Moderator Off>
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
jahid
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jahid »

aurquiel wrote:What is the repository of xfce 4.12? could you posted it, please? I would like to try it
You can always use source to install it in any system.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

The title of the topic is Xfce 4.12 now in testing

This means that the easiest way to have XFCE 4.12 in LMDE2 is too enable testing repo, install XFCE and remove the testing repo. No need to compile anaything.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
jahid
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jahid »

killer de bug wrote:The title of the topic is Xfce 4.12 now in testing

This means that the easiest way to have XFCE 4.12 in LMDE2 is too enable testing repo, install XFCE and remove the testing repo. No need to compile anaything.
Installing from source has some advantages though....

enabling testing repo might be dangerous. But if you install it from source, only xfce-session will change, other packages will remain the same like thunar. That means, if there are any problems in new thunar file manager it won't have any effect as it is not getting updated at all....
dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement »

PMFJI, I'd like to know what you XFCE 4.12 users upgraded first: LMDE to LMDE2, or XFCE to 4.12? Do you think there is a preferred order?

Regards, Daniel
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

You should probably first upgrade to LMDE2. LMDE1 base is really old and you may have some problem installing XFCE 4.12. The easiest is probably to update to Jessie (LMDE2) and then focus on installing XFCE.
dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement »

Thanks, I'll do it that way. Not that I'm particularly keen on installing XFCE 4.12, but I guess I'll have to do it eventually and here's why.

I had pulled the latest thunar version (1.6.8 ) from Sid some time ago, in order to get this long-standing bug (no network drive icons) fixed. Fine. But I only just noticed (thanks to this thread) that it had pulled some components from XFCE 4.12 (e.g. xfce4-panel).

Hope it won't stand in the way of my upgrading to LMDE2, but I sure had rather XFCE fully upgraded to 4.12 in the end.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Ouppsss sorry! I had not read carefully enough. :)

If XFCE is already installed on your LMDE1 system, then upgrading to LMDE2 will upgrade XFCE in the same time :wink:
dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement »

Yes, XFCE will be upgraded, but to which version? I understand that XFCE 4.12 now is the current testing ("Stretch" now?), but that it did not make it in time for Jessie (hence not for LMDE2 either--is that correct?)

If LMDE2 has got XFCE 4.12 eventually, then of course my question is pointless.

OTTH, if not, I assume that it won't get backported, and that I'll have to pull it from the Testing repository.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

*Face Palm*

You are right. By upgrading to LMDE2 you have XFCE 4.10 --> https://packages.debian.org/jessie/xfce/xfce4
After this, you can enable shortly Stretch to get 4.12 --> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xfce4
dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement »

Hmm... After upgrading, I realize I'm not sure how to upgrade XFCE, now that Synaptic doesn't let me upgrade any more.

Should I use mintupdate? But it wants to update everything... (BTW, an option to "deselect all" would help.)

Should I use the command line? But then, which option (apt-get install or upgrade) and which package(s) should be used?

TIA, Daniel
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Well, first you need to allow testing repo on your system. Then you can simply install xfce (without upgrading your system otherwise you will end with testing :) )

Code: Select all

apt install xfce4

Code: Select all

apt install xfce4-goodies
dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement »

Oh, silly me, I overlooked that again :oops:. I really could use some command-line culture! Worked like a charm of course.

However, I did not install the meta-package xfce4-goodies, because it wants to pull xfce4-power-manager. And this package could be (maybe, maybe not...) the culprit of the "can't shutdown" problem I've described in my this post. So instead I installed the other components of xfce4-goodies one by one.

So far so good with XFCE 4.12, and since it has a newer version of xfce4-power-manager is newer, I think I'll give it another try later.

Thanks again!
jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jjaythomas »

Can also use the 'mepis and/or mx14 (packages changing to get ready for mx15) repo their backported to use on jessie (lmde2).

I originally used used the experimental Debian packages (before they hit testing) then from debian testing as above, but the mepis/mx14 backport repo gives me no problems for last 2-3 months (LMDE2, Soldydx(upgraded to it),sparkylinux(staying on stable-vers 3.6) and pure debian xfce stable.

I'm a distro hopper :lol:
J.Jay

Return to “LMDE Archive”