<MOSTLY_SOLVED>Keeping LibreOffice up-to-date on Betsy

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

<MOSTLY_SOLVED>Keeping LibreOffice up-to-date on Betsy

Post by Fred Barclay »

After reading exploder's post, upgrading LibreOffice to v. 5 seems to be easy enough. But how can I keep it up-to-date automatically?
On normal Mint I'd just add the LibreOffice PPA but I don't think that's an option here. :(
Last edited by Fred Barclay on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
BeaverPaw
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Keeping LibreOffice up-to-date on Betsy

Post by BeaverPaw »

You can install backports of libreoffice to jessie from stretch from http://backports.debian.org/

Obviously you'll only get the versions of libreoffice that have made their way from sid into stretch; currently in jessie-backports there is version 4.4.5. Libreoffice 5 will eventually make it's way into stretch, and afterwards to jessie-backports most likely.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

The inability to keep libreoffice updated to its bleeding edge version is probably the most annoying limitation of LMDE. I have LMDE2 in my main computer, and LM17.2 in several laptops. In the main, I'm forced to stay with LO 4.3, in the laptops I have LO 5 (thanks to the PPAs). LO is by far the most important program of all my software because I'm a writer and I write a lot. I need the maximum efficiency and compatibility with the MS formats.
Probably this limitation of LMDE (the lack of PPAs) will force me in the future to change the OS of my main computer to the Ubuntu branch of Linux Mint.
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)
DanJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DanJ »

xfrank wrote:The inability to keep libreoffice updated to its bleeding edge version is probably the most annoying limitation of LMDE. I have LMDE2 in my main computer, and LM17.2 in several laptops. In the main, I'm forced to stay with LO 4.3, in the laptops I have LO 5 (thanks to the PPAs). LO is by far the most important program of all my software because I'm a writer and I write a lot. I need the maximum efficiency and compatibility with the MS formats.
Probably this limitation of LMDE (the lack of PPAs) will force me in the future to change the OS of my main computer to the Ubuntu branch of Linux Mint.
I've chosen to download the deb version of LibreOffice 5.0 from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/ and install it with

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
This means I have to check for updates myself and then download the new version, but at least I can run the latest version this way. I also chose to do this when I was running the main edition of Mint as the Fresh version from the link above includes a full grammar checker and thesuarus.
websquad
Level 1
Level 1

Keeping LibreOffice up-to-date

Post by websquad »

I have a friend who had an old XP-era machine that started smoking. So I took it to our city's tech recycle facility. I then spent $60 on an used Optiplex 755 and installed Linux Mint: this little Dell box purrs with happiness. Then I tried to install LibreOffice 5 using the Software Manager, but it installed 4.4.3.2. Before I return this box to my friend, I'd like the latest version of LibreOffice. Alas, my days of knowing how to use a command interface ended with CP/M and DOS; and the Linux Mint Software Manager only installs 4.4.3.2.

Is there a way to install version 5 that will not drive a complete Novice nuts?

Help !!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Keeping LibreOffice up-to-date

Post by Fred Barclay »

websquad wrote:I have a friend who had an old XP-era machine that started smoking. So I took it to our city's tech recycle facility. I then spent $60 on an used Optiplex 755 and installed Linux Mint: this little Dell box purrs with happiness. Then I tried to install LibreOffice 5 using the Software Manager, but it installed 4.4.3.2. Before I return this box to my friend, I'd like the latest version of LibreOffice. Alas, my days of knowing how to use a command interface ended with CP/M and DOS; and the Linux Mint Software Manager only installs 4.4.3.2.

Is there a way to install version 5 that will not drive a complete Novice nuts?

Help !!
For future reference, it is nearly always best to start your own thread. ;) No worries, though.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=201426

Or you could just install it from the LibreOffice website.

PS: Glad to hear about how well Mint runs on your friend's machine, too. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
mramish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mramish »

As mentioned above it's better to use jessie-backports in LMDE2. There you get LO 4.4.5 at the moment so very close to 5. Don't use ppa's in LMDE because this will
cause problems. And beside that the package quality in backports is very good. LO 5 will land in backports when the dev's consider it stable enough.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

After evaluating all the advises here (thanks), I had installed LO 4.4.5.2 via jessie backports. To do that:

1 - open (as root) the file " official-package-repositories.list "
2 - add the line " deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free "
3 - go to the terminal and do (as root): " apt-get install -t jessie-backports libreoffice "
4 - approve the installation.
LO will upgrade to 4.5.5.2 version. Not the 5 version, but anyway, better than 4.3. :lol:
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

After trying both the tutorial for LibreOffice 5 and the backports, the backports seems like the better option. LibreOffice 5 worked fine but memory use increased 100 MB at startup! The version from the backports also works fine but has no negative impact on memory use. Really I could use either version but I think using the backported versions might have better compatibility with the rest of the system. Like xfrank I rely on LibreOffice quite a bit these days so keeping it up to date is important to me too. :)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

xfrank wrote:After evaluating all the advises here (thanks), I had installed LO 4.4.5.2 via jessie backports. To do that:

1 - open (as root) the file " official-package-repositories.list "
2 - add the line " deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free "
3 - go to the terminal and do (as root): " apt-get install -t jessie-backports libreoffice "
4 - approve the installation.
LO will upgrade to 4.5.5.2 version. Not the 5 version, but anyway, better than 4.3. :lol:
exploder wrote: think using the backported versions might have better compatibility with the rest of the system.
And with this in mind I'll call the thread solved. Thanks everyone!
- Albert Einstein
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

xfrank wrote:LO will upgrade to 4.5.5.2 version. Not the 5 version, but anyway, better than 4.3. :lol:
It will probably be backported in a few weeks.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Re: <MOSTLY_SOLVED>Keeping LibreOffice up-to-date on Betsy

Post by xfrank »

Just a warning: I had to downgrade to LO 4.3.3 because I found a bug: the printing dialog was somewhat messed up, missing some important features (select printer, select a range of pages to print...). Reverting to the previous version solved that.

*Update 11 / 09:
Now is possible to upgrade to LO5 via debian backports and the printer bug disappeared.
See: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=204809
vlad1777d
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vlad1777d »

You can also add Linux Mint PPA to LMDE2 and install LibreOffice from there.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks, vlad, but you really shouldn't use PPAs in LMDE or Debian. They're only for Ubuntu and its derivatives such as ordinaryl Mint. ;)
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”