How often does LMDE2 crash?

Archived topics about LMDE 2
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

How often does LMDE2 crash?

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Hi, I'll soon get a new ssd and I was thinking of installing lmde on it because it is a rolling distribution, so I would not have to worry about upgrading.
On the project site it says that this distro is for experienced users and it is more risky.
I want to ask how often does your system crash or how often do you experience problems after update?
What are some other differences between Betsy and main edition?
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How often does LMDE2 crash?

Post by xenopeek »

It's not meant for experienced users because it crashes more often. You think experienced users are masochists? :|

It's more stable (=unchanging) than main edition Linux Mint. Whether you will have trouble with depends largely on your particular hardware and what software from outside the default repositories you will install. The text you refer to is mostly applicable to LMDE 1 ( (it reaches end of life in 2 months), which was based on Debian testing and was a semi-rolling release distro. LMDE 2 is based on Debian stable and like on the main edition the only "rolling" (if you can even call it that) part of it is that you get upgrades to newer releases of Cinnamon, MATE, and the Mint tools.

That said, the installer is less full-featured than the one used on the main edition. And it's not compatible with PPAs so it may be a bit harder to easily install software from outside that default repositories (but see above). Those would be the main differences.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

this PC always had issue with the video driver, and often needed to be booted in rescue mode,
and from there to a normal boot.

other than that, it seemed to work okay - stable enough.
- the video driver / updater is not automated, like it is in the Main Edition(s).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

This may be a dumb question, but I am just trying to understand ☺ you said that the only updates are cinnamon and mint tools. What about firefox and open office? These are basically the only programs I use. Do they get updated or not?

Odoslané z G7-L01 pomocou Tapatalku
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

cinnamoncoffee wrote: you said that the only updates are cinnamon and mint tools.
That's not what I said. Updates are to fix security issues; that's covered by using Debian stable as a package base. The Debian security team handles updates.
xenopeek wrote:the only "rolling" (if you can even call it that) part of it is that you get upgrades to newer releases of Cinnamon, MATE, and the Mint tools.
This is about new functionality; referring to your talk about semi-rolling release. Whether point-release based or rolling-release based, you get updates as mentioned above. You generally do not get new functionality (= what I call newer releases) on point-release based distros. You'd install the next point-release to get new functionality in your applications.

Here is all the software maintained by Linux Mint on top of Debian stable: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Betsy. Firefox and Thunderbird are there (as Debian doesn't have those). LibreOffice is not. You only get security fixes for LibreOffice.

Distribution security teams handle updates for the software versions in their distributions. Upstream projects develop new releases, which eventually may make it into a next distribution.

oats
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oats »

Well.. I run lmde2 on my laptop, which has an amd A8 cpu, raedon 7640 gpu, and some standard assorted stuff like wifi, usb, card reader, etc.

Since the mint team switched to following Debian Stable, in my opinion things have improved 1000%. I frequently leave my laptop on for several weeks at a time with not a single problem. No crashes, no mem leaks, smooth running. Fast and snappy. Always. Im fairly simple on my daily needs. I use Geany, Chrome, Firefox, a Calculator, Dropbox Sync, and Android in virtualbox on a daily basis. That's about it.

I came back to LMDE from debian stable when the project switched to stable here, and have been thoroughly impressed. The stability is way better than the Ubuntu based builds

I sincerely think LMDE has the potential to surpass the main mint builds, and with the way canonical has been heading, there is a growing part of me that hopes it will happen, and ubuntu will cease to be the foundation of the main builds.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

I agree with oats, LMDE2 is very stable, never had a crash, freeze, etc. FF and Thunderbird are kept up to date. I don't use Libre Office so I can't answer that one. The Mint tools and DE are superb, on top a rock solid base. :D

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

xenopeek wrote: LibreOffice is not. You only get security fixes for LibreOffice.
cinnamoncoffee,
Libre Office 5 is in Jessie backports. Therefore Libreoffice can be easily upgraded if this is important to you.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Well, I tried LMDE 2 in VM . There was a message that there was something wrong with my graphics or video. I don't remember the exact words. Still, the desktop worked normally, it was just sluggish. I thought maybe i need to install video drivers. So I googled some command lines for that. It seemed everything was OK but when i restarted there was no desktop, just the command line. Some problem with xorg. No idea what that is. If this happened on my real computer, this would really drive me crazy! So I think Betsy is not for me, staying safe with Rafaela :)
Last edited by cinnamoncoffee on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

cinnamoncoffee wrote:well, I tried LMDE 2 in VM and I tried to install video drivers.
Video drivers for a virtual graphics card? What exactly did you install. Only the VirtualBox Guest Additions make sense. You don't have access to real hardware in a virtual machine.

cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

I tried to install nvidia. And than there was some command for xorg.

deepclutch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deepclutch »

I'm using LMDE 2 installed on a SSD. The only problem is, my Dell E1914H monitor's resolution (1366x768@59.8Hz) is not properly detected and configured. With the monitor EDID and the nvidia drivers, the display is 1368x768@60 which affects the clarity (slightly). I did manage to bring back 1366x768 resolution using xorg.conf and custom modeline copied from edid disabling monitor's edid. But, then it shows some color fringing on the RHS side which is the problem.
BTW, I forgot to mention using a DVI-I out from nvidia 7300GT gfx card and connected to this VGA monitor using a DVI2VGA converter.

See the RHS side when the monitor is forced to display resolution 1366x768.
http://i.imgur.com/81fRjAJ.jpg

kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

deepclutch wrote:I'm using LMDE 2 installed on a SSD. The only problem is, my Dell E1914H monitor's resolution (1366x768@59.8Hz) is not properly detected and configured. With the monitor EDID and the nvidia drivers, the display is 1368x768@60 which affects the clarity (slightly). I did manage to bring back 1366x768 resolution using xorg.conf and custom modeline copied from edid disabling monitor's edid. But, then it shows some color fringing on the RHS side which is the problem.
BTW, I forgot to mention using a DVI-I out from nvidia 7300GT gfx card and connected to this VGA monitor using a DVI2VGA converter.

See the RHS side when the monitor is forced to display resolution 1366x768.
http://i.imgur.com/81fRjAJ.jpg
It's probably possible to create software that will make that setup work, but it will be much easier to put together a hardware package that's a little more mainstream. I recommend a video card with a vga-out to run a vga-only monitor.

Felix2cat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Felix2cat »

My LMDE 2 never crashed or freezed.
On the opposite, my Mint Qiana has frequent problems, maybe I'm installing/de-installing too much softwares (mostly games) on it ?
Moreover LMDE is more responsive than the standard edition. 8)

Of course LMDE isn't perfect ! For example, it's a lot easier to install graphic drivers on the standard edition. But no problem with Intel !
Also, a few window managers are available (no KDE).
And the "suspend" mode sometimes completely halt the session. Nothing dangerous however...
Honestly you won't have any command line to know if your PC is standard, with common HP printer... :)

Maybe you could try the standard edition for a while, testing and choosing your favorite softwares.
Then proceed with a fresh LMDE Betsy installation (see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&t=203105).

Good luck !
Everyday : LMDE (Cinnamon) - Gaming : Mint Qiana (Cinnamon)
One laptop, two partitions !

dwainehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dwainehead »

With LMDE 1 in 2 years of running the average days between reboot was 38, max 50, with LMDE 2 the average days between reboot is 15 max 21, Mate seems to have some memory leaks, better now with the latest update to 1.12, so hopefully the average days between reboot get's better now. In 3 years my system has only "crashed" 1 time.

AMD FX 4100
16G Ram
2TB, 70GB Hd's
GeForce 5500TI 1gb
LMDE x64 20120409 UP5 AMD FX 4100 x4 3.6gHz Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 16g Corsair Vengeance PC1600 Hitachi 750gig sata 3 EVGA Geforce 550Ti 1g kernel 3.2.0-3

Return to “LMDE 2 "Betsy" Archive”