RAM usage

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mike77

RAM usage

Post by mike77 »

Following the latest round of cinnamon upgrades - 3.0.4 & 3.2.5 - RAM usage is shooting up like crazy. It starts out at around 260 MB, and after opening a few programs - like libreoffice, even leafpad etc - it is up to 400-500 MB within minutes. Before this round of upgrades, getting to 500MB would take three or four days at least. Today, I opened a few pictures and downloaded them from google, and RAM was up to 1.3 GB! Firefox 50 as well now using about twice to three times its former memory. Does anyone know what's going on here? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: RAM usage

Post by xenopeek »

A memory leak was found in the new Cinnamon release and it's being worked on by the team with highest priority.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

xenopeek wrote:A memory leak was found in the new Cinnamon release and it's being worked on by the team with highest priority.

Code: Select all

cinnamon --version
will give the version you are running at present. Is there a way to roll back to version 3.04?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
mike77

Post by mike77 »

@ xenopeak - Thanks for the quick info and all the work you are doing!
mike77

Post by mike77 »

deepakdeshp wrote:
xenopeek wrote:A memory leak was found in the new Cinnamon release and it's being worked on by the team with highest priority.

Code: Select all

cinnamon --version
will give the version you are running at present. Is there a way to roll back to version 3.04?
This refers to version 3.2.5 - however, the problems started with 3.2.4.
mike77

Post by mike77 »

Meanwhile, on the advice of someone (Odyseus in another forum) I disabled "recent files" - and the result is excellent. No memory leaks at all now as far as I can tell! What relief :-)
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

mike77 wrote:Meanwhile, on the advice of someone (Odyseus in another forum) I disabled "recent files" - and the result is excellent. No memory leaks at all now as far as I can tell! What relief :-)
@mike, disable recent files where? Firefox settings? Or in the file manager?
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

kevinthefixer wrote:
mike77 wrote:Meanwhile, on the advice of someone (Odyseus in another forum) I disabled "recent files" - and the result is excellent. No memory leaks at all now as far as I can tell! What relief :-)
It is in Privacy in system preferences.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
mike77

Post by mike77 »

kevinthefixer wrote:
@kevinthefixer - Go to Cinnamon's System Settings/Preferences/Privacy/ and deactivate "Remember recently accessed files".

Incidentally, a new version 3.2.6 was pushed out this morning which appears to minimize the leakage; I reactivated recent files and effects and am finding that things are now vastly improved. According to Clem, this is not yet fully resolving the issue, but it is huge step in that direction.

Return to “LMDE Archive”