Mint Debian for Tablets?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Mint Debian for Tablets?

Post by darethehair »

OK, this 'Debian-rolling-release-Mint' distro is catching my interest, and here is my first question about it: Is there anything known right now that would disqualify this distro as being useful for the (near?) future crop of Atom/ARM-based tablets being released?

I am thinking specifically of Ubuntu's plans to provide 'multitouch' (v10.10), which (I think) would be nice in this context.

My assumptions are these:

1) Atom-based tablets could theoretically run any version of Linux, including all the Mint flavors (based on Ubuntu), and would eventually include 'multitouch' because of this
2) ARM-based tablets would be much more restricted (?) as to which Linux distros they would support e.g. Ubuntu is the only one I have heard about (so far) re: NVidia Tegra2

Anyways, I think you know where I am going with my line of questioning i.e. it might be nice to be able to run MintDebian *now*, on a normal desktop, and in the future (months?) as well on a tablet, and be 'comfortable' with it by then.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint Debian for Tablets?

Post by dawgdoc »

darethehair wrote:Is there anything known right now that would disqualify this distro as being useful for the (near?) future crop of Atom/ARM-based tablets being released?

2) ARM-based tablets would be much more restricted (?) as to which Linux distros they would support e.g. Ubuntu is the only one I have heard about (so far) re: NVidia Tegra2

Anyways, I think you know where I am going with my line of questioning i.e. it might be nice to be able to run MintDebian *now*, on a normal desktop, and in the future (months?) as well on a tablet, and be 'comfortable' with it by then.
According to distrowatch, Debian, Gentoo and Slackware run on the arm architecture. I verified that there were downloads for the arm architecture on the debian site. Getting multi-touch on them may be a different issue. Of course, if there are source files available it should be possible.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim
element
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Debian for Tablets?

Post by element »

i'm also very interested in this. i used to run mint 8 on my dell m65 precision workstation (its a laptop) and had it working wonderfully. i have upgraded to a dell xt2 convertible tablet (win 7 x64) and i read somewhere that the ubuntu 10.10 was targeting just such an animal http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/455. however, i dont want to run ubuntu. is it possible maybe to use mint with the packages from 10.10 that are for the tablet stuff. or will mint debian also include the right stuff. or maybe try ubuntu and mintify it?
maybe i need to stop buying such obscure devices. anyways, the xt2 is mostly intel hardware.

Return to “LMDE Archive”