LMDE in netbooks

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Iskander
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE in netbooks

Post by Iskander »

I'm a Mint beginner, in the sense that I have never actually used or installed any of the Mint variants (except that I tried a it a bit from a usb key on a netbook). I was thinking about installing Mint XFCE in my wife's netbook, but with the announcement of LMDE I wonder if that would not be a better option. The idea is that I would not like to have to re-install her netbook's OS every 6 months, but don't mind upgrading it every 2 weeks.

The question is: can LMDE be made to be appropriate for a netbook (lightweght, display adapted to a netbook), or it's just better to go with Mint XFCE and accept a reinstall in 6 months?

Rifester

Re: LMDE in netbooks

Post by Rifester »

Debian may be more difficult to install drivers. If you are prepared for this and willing to do some research Debian would be great. Why not install the current LTS version of Mint and then you won't have to reinstall in 6 months? If you post the type of netbook & wireless card we might be able to advise you about compatibility issues.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

I recently bought a new AAO Netbook.
First, thing I did was install a Debian OS on it. (not Mint-Debian but similar)
My new AAO Netbook came in today.

I've spent the last hour or so playing with it.

It was supposed to have Windows 7 Home Premium edition ... instead, it has Windows XP Service Pack 3.
I was a little bummed about that, just cause I wanted to see what all the 'hoopla' was about with W7.

First thing I did was download DebianLive 5.0.4 to Unetbootin ... and changed the Netbooks BIOS for USB boot-up.
Debian opened up as a LiveUSB ... I've been playing with it. Haven't installed anything yet.

So far ... everything in DebianLive works "out of the box".
Wireless ... Wifi ... Webcam ... everything.

I'll keep ya'll updated on my Acer Aspire One netbook and Linux adventures.
I did install Debian 5.0.4 Xfce on my AAO. Everything works 'outta the box'

Installing Linux Mint Debian should be no more difficult to install and use on a Netbook. Several of the Mint Forum and Debian User Forum regulars use a netbook.
I just downloaded LMDE yesterday ... I will be installing it on my Netbook, later this week ( for play/testing purposes)
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Intio
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Intio »

Check my signature, I'm using the first edition netbook that became available - with a processor running at 630MHz. Debian flies compared to Mint 9. Everything is snappier and more responsive on my limited hardware, and I have so far not encountered any compatibility issues with any devices I have. Even if there are problems on your wife's netbook - a rolling release should mop them up eventually.
Asus Eee 701 Netbook - 2GB OCZ RAM
Debian Edition - Xfce

arinlares
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arinlares »

What Intio said, plus one.

Mint Debian, despite having Gnome, runs faster than any Ubuntu/XFCE, or even LXDE-based distro I've used on my Eee 1000HA, even with desktop effects.

Rifester, It can't be that bad, can it?. Of course, you could just use the free drivers, which are pretty good and improving.

libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

Iskander wrote:The question is: can LMDE be made to be appropriate for a netbook (lightweght, display adapted to a netbook), or it's just better to go with Mint XFCE and accept a reinstall in 6 months?
No need for it to "be made to be appropriate for a netbook," as LMDE runs fine out of the box on my Acer Aspire One, model D150. It's hard to be certain, but I previously had Mint 9 installed on an 8 gb SDHC memory card, and I replaced it with LMDE today, and it feels slightly faster. Not as fast as Ubuntu 10.04 on a 32gb SSD, but pretty good, considering slow access time of an SDHC memory card.

Rifester

Post by Rifester »

I wouldn't say it would be "that bad". But the OP did state he was a beginner. I think it is fair to tell them that Debian may or may not be more difficult to install.

Iskander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Iskander »

Thanks for the answers. The netbook is an ASUS 1000HE. I don't know which wireless card it has, because I can't get access to the computer at the moment, but hopefully it should work out of the box, at least according to what I have understood by browsing the net.

I don't mind searching for drivers and to take some time for the install, as long as it's a rolling release, so that I don't need to start again for that computer in the foreseable future, while keeping the system up to date..

In terms of LMDE being appropriate, I was not only thinking about system responsiveness, but also making the OS fit the small format of the computer. I've heard that some netbook distributions have specific configurations for the netbooks, such as for instance saving power, automatically maximising windows, etc. I don't know how mint XFCE stands on this, and whether it would be an advantage in relationto LMDE.

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

I have had several different version of Linux on my Gateway netbook, I personally don't like the netbook editons, a little to cutsy for me. Right now I have PCLinuxOS 2010 on it and it rund fine. I have had LM8, EB4 whic is now Auroa and maybe Ubuntu 9.04 not for sure on the last one. They have all ran just fine. Mine has the Broadcom 4312 wifi so with almost anything I have to do a little extra to get it work but nothing that isn't doable.

If things go right this week I will have LMDE on it. The only thing I don't like is the Mintmenu when running Mint on the netbook. The menu just takes to much relestate.
LMDE ROCKS!!!

vicshrike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vicshrike »

experience with LMDE on Eee 1000H anyone?

Smart Viking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Smart Viking »

vicshrike wrote:experience with LMDE on Eee 1000H anyone?
It works perfectly for my but i'm using Eee 1001px.
If you install it and theres no internet you might wanna try to install a newer kernel, works sometimes. :)

ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ukbrian »

@Gramps50

Code: Select all

If things go right this week I will have LMDE on it. The only thing I don't like is the Mintmenu when running Mint on the netbook. The menu just takes to much relestate.
Like you I'm mean with my real estate :D
What I do is right click on the panel, select "Add to Panel"
then scroll down to
"Main Menu
The main Gnome menu"
and click on the "Add" button at the bottom right.
If you right click on the menu icon on the panel you can customize it for your own needs.

Once your happy you can remove the other menu's from the panel by right click, remove from panel.
my menu http://lin.me.uk/pics/menu-mint.png

I made a short video and posted it here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=56449
let me know how you get on
ukbrian
Last edited by ukbrian on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sgosnell »

LMDE should run fine on a 1000. I'm running it on my 900, and have no problems. I have less real estate than 1000 users, but I use both top and bottom panels. With autohide, they disappear when not in use, allowing the full screen to be visible. I've tried putting the panels on the side, but I just don't like that setup very much. Autohiding panels is a good solution for me on a small screen.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.

ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ukbrian »

sgosnell wrote:LMDE should run fine on a 1000. I'm running it on my 900, and have no problems. I have less real estate than 1000 users, but I use both top and bottom panels. With autohide, they disappear when not in use, allowing the full screen to be visible. I've tried putting the panels on the side, but I just don't like that setup very much. Autohiding panels is a good solution for me on a small screen.
You might find the video I made of help, I guess you're running Ubuntu when you talk of two panels
ukbrian

Matt3223
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matt3223 »

I have just installed LMDE on my ZaReason Teo netbook and was quite surprised by how much I liked it!

I too was biased against using Mint on a netbook because of the large size of MintMenu...but I wanted to give LMDE a whirl and my 13 inch laptop was down, so I stuck it on a partition on the netbook. ... and discovered I was wrong. Mint menu isn't all that bad on the 10-inch screen. Plus it goes away once you make a selection.

I'd wager a bet as to what the area covered by MintMenu vs. Gnome with system >> administration open is. I'm banking on negligible difference.

I also am seriously drawn to the rolling-release option. I'm confident the Mint devs will make this an enjoyable experience.

I vote yes for LMDE on a Netbook. any issues you run into, the folks on the forums will help out! :D

sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sgosnell »

ukbrian wrote:You might find the video I made of help, I guess you're running Ubuntu when you talk of two panels
ukbrian
No, I'm running LMDE, with two panels. You can add as many panels as you like, even in Debian. :)

RichardH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RichardH »

@ukbrian,

Thanks for the comment on the Gnome menu. Hadn't realized there was a choice.

I have Lmde, inadvertently on my AA1 model AOA150.

I was running Peppermint on sda2 which was working fine.
Installed Lmde on sda5, with lmde's grub, to try out but then Peppermint would no longer boot.
I'm traveling and in hotels for a few weeks. I use the netbook for myself and to
not expose the company XP computer with oilfield tech course material to the internet.

So I guess I get to try out lmde. :) It is working fine on the netbook. I haven't been able to get
Peppermint to install from a USB created in Lmde with unetbootin and usb-creator isn't in the
[Edit: Unettbootin works. Format the USB as Fat32 and it installs and boots.]

Debian repos. Guess I'll have to try to get the source, or just keep on with Lmde.
All in all, it is a nice distro.

A great benefit is the quick install to Debian testing. Not too much fiddling around.
Used to use sidux for a fast install then switch to track testing. But I prefer this.

Regards.
Last edited by RichardH on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vicshrike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vicshrike »

thanks for the feedback guys, have tried the live dvd on my eee and it looked good, will not install now though, want to see how things work out in the "afterfreeze" period first, but netbook tips tricks and quirks are always welcome!

pghjake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pghjake »

Brightness and volume Fn keys work on my 900a. Haven't played with suspend since I don't run a swap on my SSD. Boots up quick enough for me not to bother and no issues worrying about wireless up/down with return from suspend :lol:

sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sgosnell »

pghjake wrote:Brightness and volume Fn keys work on my 900a. Haven't played with suspend since I don't run a swap on my SSD. Boots up quick enough for me not to bother and no issues worrying about wireless up/down with return from suspend :lol:
Suspend doesn't need swap. That's hibernate. Suspend just maintains RAM. I don't use hibernate, since it takes almost as much time to recover as to boot from off, but I do use suspend a lot, because that takes only a few seconds, less than 10.

Return to “LMDE Archive”