Linux mint Debian installation

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vsgeping

Linux mint Debian installation

Post by vsgeping »

System version: Linux Mint Debian (201009)

After installation, choose DVD to enter into desktop, install Linux desktop ICONS double-click mint began installing, choose the language ---> choose zones ---> select keyboard layout ---> partition of disk space input user (user name and password) - - > began to install installation

Next, installation operation to this step "Mounting /dev/sda8 on /target/", Several hours later, or the operation

Excuse me, is this why, is there something wrong with it

Ask everybody to help me, thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KROwen1959

Re: Linux mint Debian installation

Post by KROwen1959 »

After installation, choose DVD to enter into desktop, install Linux desktop ICONS double-click mint began installing, choose the language ---> choose zones ---> select keyboard layout ---> partition of disk space input user (user name and password) - - > began to install installation

Next, installation operation to this step "Mounting /dev/sda8 on /target/", Several hours later, or the operation

Did you do live install or directly on line? I downloaded mine to computer as ISO file then burnt it to dvd. did a dual boot so I can "temporarily" save windows until I am confident with myself with Linux. The process went as you described and the whole process to me maybe 10 minutes.
vsgeping

Post by vsgeping »

KROwen1959 wrote:
Did you do live install or directly on line? I downloaded mine to computer as ISO file then burnt it to dvd. did a dual boot so I can "temporarily" save windows until I am confident with myself with Linux. The process went as you described and the whole process to me maybe 10 minutes.

Ten minutes? But I waited for two hours is "Mounting /dev/sda8 on /target /" this operation
I don't know what to do, can you help me
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I moved this here from Newbie Questions,
Seems like a better home for it
oscar799
Forum Admin
vsgeping

Post by vsgeping »

oscar799 wrote:I moved this here from Newbie Questions,
Seems like a better home for it
oscar799
Forum Admin

Thank you for your concern my problem, and move it to the right place, so you can help me look at problems and help me to solve it
odinmint

Post by odinmint »

Exactly same situation here.

Tried a few times, rebooted twice and repeated, same problem as described.

First time in more than a decade of Linux usage that this specific problem appears.

Was looking forward to trying the new Debian version after being disappointed by the Ubuntu one!
crumbs

Post by crumbs »

vsgeping wrote:System version: Linux Mint Debian (201009)

Ask everybody to help me, thank you
I had the same problem with the a version I downloaded from an Irish server on tuesday before the official iso links were put back up. With the non official version I could install if I told it I was from Canada, not the US. I am sorry to ask based on your posting date, but did you download from a link on the announcement page after the two bugs in the previous version were fixed? The reason I ask is your problem is exactly the same as the one I had except for me it was the sda6 volume.

When the newer version installed it was obvious something was wrong with my other version. The installer quickly progressed and started copying files almost instantly. I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not but until someone more knowledgeable comes by you could try downloading a different iso. Sorry.
ottorto

Post by ottorto »

I had to run the live desktop installer twice, with a reboot in between, to avoid the /target/ hang.

Run it first to partition and format your drive targets: sda1, sda2, sda3, etc; /boot, swap, /, etc; ext2, swap, ext4, etc; however you want to configure it. Make sure to finish formatting then quit the installer.

Reboot and run installer again to finish, but do not repartition OR format any partitions. Just identify/label your targets. Then let it finish.

After booting into your new LMDE desktop, open a terminal. Run fdisk -l as root to see what your partitions are. Run "free" to see if your swap is active. Edit /etc/fstab if you need to add/fix your swap.

That's it! Tweak compiz, and enjoy this spectacular OS! I love it!
verden

Post by verden »

I had the same problem and with my first attempt to install i ticked format for my swap partition. I then installed again and just formatted my / and /home partitions. When i looged into my new install i found that there was no swap so i just edited /etc/fstab and added the swap partition. Now i have a great mint debian system.
Bageer

Post by Bageer »

Your problem sounds very similar to mine
The way I had my drive formated was like this

sda1 /(root)
sda2 swap
sda3 /home

this is also my first time using something other than one click partition from either ubuntu or mint
my problem was during installation I was always formating my swap partition instead of before

go to gparted on the live cd
format it however you would like i believe main edition just does root and swap
the go through the installer
when it shows you the partitions right click on your root and set it to */*
if you have a separate home right click and set it as */home*
your only other partition will more than likely be the swap partition. Don't right click it have it format during installation.

If this fixes your problem please reply

Return to “LMDE Archive”