The board will go down for necessary maintenance at 12:00 PM UTC (see current UTC time). We expect to be back 1 hour later at 1:00 PM UTC. Apologies for any inconvenience.

New name for 'Linux Mint Debian Edition' / LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
simpleblue
Level 2
Level 2

New name for 'Linux Mint Debian Edition' / LMDE

Post by simpleblue »

I think it would be great if we were to get ideas from the community for a new name and cast a vote. We could certainly come up with something more appealing then 'Linux Mint Debian Edition', or the plain abbreviation LMDE.

Imagine how exciting and motivated the community would be in having the power to "choose" its name, even if we choose to just keep the current name! It's a WIN-WIN!!

I would trust that the name that ALL of us came up with would be pretty awesome!

p.s.

I've created a poll so we can vote on this: http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/833

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: New name for 'Linux Mint Debian Edition' / LMDE

Post by MALsPa »

"Linux Mint Debian Edition" sounds like a good name. We could call it LMDE for short.

Seriously, I don't see anything unappealing about the name. And it describes exactly what it is.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I second your +1 Ikey. I really like the name/designation LMDE. Of course I'm retired Navy, so I spent half my life using acronyms for objects and organizations. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

ikey wrote:
MALsPa wrote:"Linux Mint Debian Edition" sounds like a good name. We could call it LMDE for short.

Seriously, I don't see anything unappealing about the name. And it describes exactly what it is.
Hmm... I haven't +1'd anyone today.
Here, you can have it! :mrgreen:
I'll add to that +1
LMDE ROCKS!!!

steveo314
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steveo314 »

ikey wrote:
MALsPa wrote:"Linux Mint Debian Edition" sounds like a good name. We could call it LMDE for short.

Hmm... I haven't +1'd anyone today.
Here, you can have it! :mrgreen:

+1
debian or bust

Binx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Binx »

It aint broke so it dont need fixing :wink:

vicshrike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vicshrike »

The name says it all, so there is no need to change it, but it would have been fun to see how LMDE would have done it on the Distrowatch hit ranking list by itself.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

How about The Rolling Mint? :lol:

axel668
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axel668 »

randomizer wrote:How about The Rolling Mint? :lol:
LMDE is perfect for now ... My guess is, that in a year from now we will have Mint Stable and Mint Testing, according to the underlying Debian release, and Live CDs with the different Desktop Flavors ... and that Mint will be number one on Distro Watch, finally :)
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

LMDE is perfect as it is

simpleblue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simpleblue »

Whether it's a year or more down the road I think they'll either change the name, or regret calling it 'Linux Mint Debian Edition.' I think Mint (which as we know is MUCH more popular then Debian even though Deb is its base) will want to break their association with Debian, just like Ubuntu. As I see it Ubuntu does not go out of their way to say it's Debian based. Imagine Ubuntu called their product 'Ubuntu Debian Edition'? Imagine Debian calling itself 'Debian GNU Linux.' These acronyms can get very confusing for newbies who just want something that works.

I was thinking of a cool name like (although it's already taken, but as an example) "Peppermint." It has 'flavor' and distinction and I think it would have had much more potential. We don't need Debian to look good., when Mint is already very respected in the Linux community.

I'm quite certain the name will change anyways, regardless of what anyone says right now. :P :wink:

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

^ ubuntu like Mint 9 is a debian derivitive rather than beinb purely debian based. All the deb packages are rebuilt to suit the distribution. Lmde on the other hand uses on the whole a pure debian base hence the recognition in the name.

Also, we don't have to imagine Debian being called Debian GNU Linux. That is the distributions correct name to start with.

tacoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tacoz »

simpleblue wrote:Imagine Ubuntu called their product 'Ubuntu Debian Edition'? Imagine Debian calling itself 'Debian GNU Linux.'
I was inclined to do the +1 on MALsPa as well... until I got to simpleblue's post.
My +1 goes here!

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

simpleblue wrote:Imagine Ubuntu called their product 'Ubuntu Debian Edition'? Imagine Debian calling itself 'Debian GNU Linux.'
But Ubuntu doesn't use Debian repos like LMDE does, so why would they ever call their product "Ubuntu Debian Edition?"

And, as omns pointed out, the correct name for Debian is in fact Debian GNU/Linux.
simpleblue wrote:I'm quite certain the name will change anyways, regardless of what anyone says right now.
Well, the word "Community" was dropped from the Community Editions, so anything's possible! Perhaps the new name that you foresee will be one that you like. Right now, I don't think most people have any problem at all with calling it "Linux Mint Debian Edition."
simpleblue wrote:These acronyms can get very confusing for newbies who just want something that works.
Don't most newbies know how to Google? Is "LMDE" really all that confusing to anyone?

simpleblue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simpleblue »

omns wrote:^ ubuntu like Mint 9 is a debian derivitive rather than beinb purely debian based. All the deb packages are rebuilt to suit the distribution. Lmde on the other hand uses on the whole a pure debian base hence the recognition in the name.

Also, we don't have to imagine Debian being called Debian GNU Linux. That is the distributions correct name to start with.
Good point!

The name LMDE sounds cool to me, but I know a small bit about Debian and I can relate to what it means. I know why it's so awesome. I also like the name 'Mint' or "Linux Mint" because it's sounds so simple and easy to use. The average person simply doesn't know much about Linux. Even the concept of Linux itself. Adding the mumbo-jumbo after it, to me, it just getting carried away. It's not required.

I think that sometimes we would do good to stop thinking like techy's and start thinking like the average day-to-day computer user in terms of how we want to market Mint.

Little story relating: I have worked for a cable company as customer service. We helped people troubleshoot their internet for a cable provider. The company fired almost all of the techy's and hired average people with little or no internet experience and taught them everything they needed to know. Why? Because these techy's could not relate to the customers. They expected people to know what they were doing and the results were poor customer service. The people with the good customer service skills gave the people the feeling like they were actually being heard and the customer service ratings skyrocketed.

Mint is the most user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing distro I've used. And I've distro hopped countless times... I'm trying to think "What would the average mother, teenager, shift-worker.. want in a distro? Is it really worth it to complicate things? Do they care if its Debian based? Likely not. They just want Linux Mint to work.

simpleblue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simpleblue »

MALsPa wrote:Don't most newbies know how to Google? Is "LMDE" really all that confusing to anyone?
I think about 10 years ago people would care. Today we live in the age of information. There is simply so much information that society as a whole is becoming overloaded. As a result most people shut down and they stop caring and shut it out. But can you blame them? They hear news from all around the world and there is nothing they can do to fix it. So we become ignorant. And it really isn't our fault. It's a defense mechanism to deal with all the good and the bad that we take in our minds. So after listening to one hour of news about bad things they can do nothing about they then go to the internet and perhaps stumble upon an operating system that's either named like it's an alien, or that sounds like you need to a university degree to understand. Can we blame them if they say 'no thanks' before even giving it a try?

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Well, if "Linux Mint Debian Edition" is such a bad name for the Linux Mint Debian Edition, I'm sure the Mint devs will change it.

Until then, I have a feeling that quite a few people will continue to use the "LMDE" acronym. (Sounds like it's named after an alien? Really?)

simpleblue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simpleblue »

MALsPa wrote:Until then, I have a feeling that quite a few people will continue to use the "LMDE" acronym. (Sounds like it's named after an alien? Really?)
No. I was thinking of different OS's like Gentoo, Chakra, Pardus, and Aptosid...

Then again, at least then didn't name it "Linux/GNU Aptosid Debian Edition.' :lol:

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

Let's keep beating the dead horse
LMDE ROCKS!!!

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »