New name for 'Linux Mint Debian Edition' / LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
flygon250
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New name for 'Linux Mint Debian Edition' / LMDE

Post by flygon250 »

MALsPa wrote:Don't most newbies know how to Google? Is "LMDE" really all that confusing to anyone?
LMDE on it's own isn't confusing. However, imagine someone finding the LXDE edition of Mint and trying to find how LMDE and LXDE are similar/different to each other.

As the two editions are entirely different and with most LMDE comparisons going to be done next to the GNOME version of Isadora/whatever version it is at the time, it will cause confusion eventually.
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

flygon250 wrote: LMDE on it's own isn't confusing. However, imagine someone finding the LXDE edition of Mint and trying to find how LMDE and LXDE are similar/different to each other.

As the two editions are entirely different and with most LMDE comparisons going to be done next to the GNOME version of Isadora/whatever version it is at the time, it will cause confusion eventually.
Well, if you really think that this is an issue and people who get confused by this are not capable finding the difference on their own, really exist. :roll: Why don't you write up something easy to understand and post it on Wiki? :idea:
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

The community will likely pick the name through the process of common usage. Much like the process where some people drive a Chevrolet and other people drive a Chevy. They can be the same car but the individual picks the moniker they like best.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

flygon250 wrote:
MALsPa wrote:Don't most newbies know how to Google? Is "LMDE" really all that confusing to anyone?
LMDE on it's own isn't confusing. However, imagine someone finding the LXDE edition of Mint and trying to find how LMDE and LXDE are similar/different to each other.

The thing is, you don't refer to the LXDE edition as simply "LXDE" because that is an entirely different project to Linux Mint LXDE. At best, you could abbreviate it to LMLXDE, or LM9LXDE if referring to the latest version only. You should also never refer to LMDE without first qualifying the full name to someone who has never heard of it.

IMO, the only change that could be worthwhile is simply to drop 'Edition' from the end, only because none of the other spins of LM9 are referred to as 'Editions' and it's not really needed. I couldn't care less if it never changed though.
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gotjazz »

more than a name it needs a bit of it's own identity - for example the word debian could show show up in grub2 by default ;)
And maybe use the logos already going around in its gdm screen and some of the wallpapers installed by default.

maybe even a plymouth team that boasts a bit about what it is???
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

The name should be DEBILE :mrgreen:
(Debian immortal labor edition or Debian incredible loveable experiment or ...) :wink:

Seriously, perhaps one day the "Debian" suffix will be needless for it will be inherent to Linux Mint. Then it will be Linux Mint main edition or XFCE edition ...
Right now it's an experiment and I think the name fits perfectly.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
Mike54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike54 »

ej64 wrote:Seriously, perhaps one day the "Debian" suffix will be needless for it will be inherent to Linux Mint. Then it will be Linux Mint main edition or XFCE edition ...
That is my hope, as well. Beyond that, I've no real opinion on what it's called between now and then.

I am referring to it as simply, "Mint".
steveo314
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steveo314 »

Linux Mint is Clem's "child". If he wanted it named something else he would have done so.
debian or bust
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

steveo314 wrote:Linux Mint is Clem's "child". If he wanted it named something else he would have done so.
+1
vicshrike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vicshrike »

maybe this thread should be marked as solved?
Mad_Sunday
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mad_Sunday »

Gramps50 wrote:Let's keep beating the dead horse
DEAD HORSE LINUX.............hey that sounds good to me ;-)

I'm with you gramps, dead horse linux, you can't beat it! :-)

Pete
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

DHL!
Mad_Sunday
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mad_Sunday »