Basic packages to be included in the next version of LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Basic packages to be included in the next version of LMDE

Post by secipolla »

I'm opening this because there may be some packages that have been missed by the LMDE team and listing them here the devs can have a look in a centralized post.
So please no "change Thunderbird for Evolution" kind of posts. Only packages that may be needed for proper functioning or enhancing of current features.

I've stumbled upon this post by wayne128 where he suggests ttf fonts for chinese and says it's a small package. Which package you suggest wayne? ttf-arphic-bkai00mp, ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp, ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp, ttf-arphic-gkai00mp, ttf-arphic-ukai, ttf-arphic-uming?

Also, user dimitri17121 talks here about a missing ALSA plugin for proper functioning of PulseAudio in multiple channels at once. Which package is that, dimitri? libasound2-plugins?

Here's the list up to now
More basic system packages:
- Chinese/Asian fonts
- ntp
- gdebi
- ttf-mscorefonts-installer
- keepassx (doesn't gnome's pasword manager work for that?)
- gstreamer0.10-x264: to use video chat with gmail users in pidgin
- pidgin-libnotify
- libgl1-mesa-dri
- fix for samba, see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 72#p316972
- broadcom installer script (to be created) or...
- ...extended wireless support (is aptosid's good?)
- gnome-icon-theme-extras
- no audio output in two sources at once (specially if one of them is Flash - I don't know if it's one issue or two separate issues). Possible solution may be installing flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound or adding /etc/asound.conf and editing it as instructed here and here (same content). Besides removing PulseAudio and staying with Debian defaults. Or maybe tinker with the settings as in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 02#p322102
- cryptsetup

More extra kind of packages (note. some third party apps may have to have an installer option instead of coming pre-installed because of lincensing issues), not really the main issue of this topic:
- cheese
- compiz plugins
- xfburn (note:brasero is part of gnome-core so...)
- deluge
- devede
- parcellite
- grsync (small and useful - my observation)
- wine
- teamviewer http://teamviewer.com/index.aspx (3rd party)
- skype http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/ (3rd party)
- treepad http://www.treepad.com/ (for Wine) (3rd party)
- dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/
- extra gtk themes - the cream of the crop so to say. elementary, equinox etc.
- Freeciv
- Winetricks (3rd party)
- Banshee
- Acidrip http://sourceforge.net/projects/acidrip/ (3rd party)
- fusion-icon
- bleachbit
- beagle http://beagle-project.org/Main_Page (not is repository)
- game console emulators (FCEUX, Nestopia, Kega Fusion, ePSXe, PSCX2, Dolphin)

Other modifications:
- decrease multimedia applications options
Last edited by secipolla on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:28 am, edited 12 times in total.

gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Basic packages to be included in the next version of LMD

Post by gotjazz »

ntp seems to be missing although the option in the date/time settings menu exists so I guess that counts as "current feature"

Tibuda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tibuda »

The current package selection is almost perfect, but here are what I would include/remove.

Include:
gdebi: to install downloaded *.deb packages
ttf-mscorefonts-installer: as they are everywhere on the web
gstreamer0.10-x264: to use video chat with gmail users in pidgin
cheese: to test and play with the webcam
compiz-{gnome,fusion-plugins-{extra,main}}: some plugins for compiz (not basic)
jockey: I know it is not available for debian :( , I just had to mention it

Remove:
mplayer, vlc or totem: they all have the same purpose. I'm happy with whatever the devs choose, as I can install my preferred app later.

CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CiaW »

KeePassX is the only one that comes to mind right now.

mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

I'm really trying to abide by the OPers comment not to mention preferences but to mentioned functional improvements.

-I agree with installing with only one media player by default, and I think that it should be VLC because it's so versatile.
-I also agree with installing Truetype fonts by default. For the first few days, I couldn't figure out why Chromium looked so UGLY! Then I installed TT fonts and, bam, back to normal. (I shoulda thought of this first.)
-Here's my real issue. I know that it's an XFCE app, but I think that the devs ought to include xfburn instead of brasero. I know that it won't happen because xfburn is an xfce-centric app, but I have made too many coasters with brasero to ever trust it again. In the past I used k3b, but it just pulls in too many KDE dependencies as it was the only KDE app that I used. Xfburn pulls in far fewer dependencies than k3b. Anyway, just my $.02. The first thing that I do on any new installation now is to install xfburn. I just can't trust brasero to function properly.

mikhou

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Tibuda wrote:Remove:mplayer, vlc or totem: they all have the same purpose. I'm happy with whatever the devs choose, as I can install my preferred app later.
I would have to vote to keep vlc as default player. IMHO it's the best overall player.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

Anonymo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anonymo »

tdockery97 wrote:
Tibuda wrote:Remove:mplayer, vlc or totem: they all have the same purpose. I'm happy with whatever the devs choose, as I can install my preferred app later.
I would have to vote to keep vlc as default player. IMHO it's the best overall player.
VLC or SMplayer is fine

markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markcynt »

Two programs I can't do without:

1) Deluge

2) Devede
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

thermodynamics4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thermodynamics4 »

tdockery97 wrote:
I Second you on that VLC it's a really nice video player, besides every time I click on a video I have to right click and use VLC... :shock:
Thinkpad Lenovo T400 Core 2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26Mhz. 2G HD 250G. GM 4500 HD.Intel Pro Wireless Link 5100 AGN, Alfa 1000mw. LMDE, BackTrack and XP.

Thinkpad lenovo X61 T7500 2.2Mhz. 3Gb, HD 320G. Wireless 8191SE, Intel 3945, bluetooth. Debian 6.0, LMDE.

zole052
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zole052 »

Include 'pidgin-libnotify', it displays notification bubbles for pidgin.
Tibuda wrote:The current package selection is almost perfect, but here are what I would include/remove.

Include:
cheese: to test and play with the webcam
compiz-{gnome,fusion-plugins-{extra,main}}: some plugins for compiz (not basic)
+1

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

There's also the libgl1-mesa-dri package needed for Intel graphics. It's a dependency of xorg but maybe Ikey built the iso just with xserver-xorg which is just the basics (I'm not using LMDE so can't check :oops: ).

- start off-topic -
Regarding Brasero, it generally worked fine for me when I needed even I not being able to set the speed for the burn. For quite some time now I just use wodim for burning. To burn a iso file, for example, login as root, cd to the directory where the file is and run

Code: Select all

wodim -v -sao speed=4 file.iso
-v = verbose
-sao = session-at-once = dao
speed=4 may be changed for speed=2 with DVDs
If there's more than one burning device, then run

Code: Select all

wodim --devices
to find them and put the proper dev='/dev/scdX' parameter at the command line (not needed if the default device is used).
- end off-topic -

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

As long as we're compiling a list, the following are all Samba related:
gvfs-fuse
smbclient
There are in fact a number of issues with samba that need to be addressed to work out of the box. Some of them require modifying smb.conf itself and some of it has to do with users having to be added to the proper groups :
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 72#p316972
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

I have my own personal preferences that I install in almost any distro that I install, but that is just me. I do think there are a fewpackages missing in the out of the box version of LMDE

gstreamer0.10-x264: to use video chat with gmail users in pidgin
parcellite: clipboard manager I find myself using this all the time
grsync: gui for rsync makes copying files to a usb drive fast and easy
BM4312: This may not be necessary now that Broadcom has open sourced their drivers but it would be nice to have a script to install the drivers for the Broadcom 4312 wifi which seems to be very popular in laptops and netbooks. I have a script to do this now in Debian but would be nice to help the less techies to get theirs working.

I was happy to see vlc installed as I install it each time so it saved me a step.
LMDE ROCKS!!!

ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ukbrian »

TeamViewer - the All-In-One Solution for Remote Access and Support over the Internet
http://teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Skype http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/

Wine

Treepad http://www.treepad.com/ an app I can't live without
but the linux version is no longer supported you have to install the free version under Wine

A list of all the apps already suggested with a description edited into the first post!

I forgot the gamechanger :oops: I really can't live without dropbox
Dropbox Sync your files on line and across machines
https://www.dropbox.com/
bri
Last edited by ukbrian on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tibuda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tibuda »

thermodynamics4 wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:
I Second you on that VLC it's a really nice video player, besides every time I click on a video I have to right click and use VLC... :shock:
You can right-click > Properties > Open with, and change the default app for that file type.

off220
Level 1
Level 1

Post by off220 »

I'd like to see some eye-candy. Boot splash could be good...besides which one would you recommend?
Happy LMDE user.

gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gotjazz »

I'd like to see more gtk themes already included - the cream of the crop so to say. elementary, equinox etc....
That'd probably catch some new-comers' eyes

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

off220 wrote:I'd like to see some eye-candy. Boot splash could be good...besides which one would you recommend?
Boot-splash is troublesome at the moment. In Clem's words, Plymouth wasn't included for being still unstable and usplash for being too old.

voss749
Level 2
Level 2

Post by voss749 »

ADD

1) TT fonts-
2) A proper ISO icon, or at very least the gnome-icon package that includes the cd icon for ISOs
3) REAL Nvidia driver
4) Freeciv
5) Every possible wireless driver you need to have wireless networking working out of the box.
6) winetricks
7) Banshee

REMOVE
1) Nouveau

GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

I'd like to second the inclusion of libgl1-mesa-dri. A search of this forum reveals that some people need it to get compiz to work, something I don't use personally. However, following the instructions found in another thread, installing this has fixed an annoyance I had with SMPlayer/mplayer. I can now use the output video driver "gl", which on my system at least, is far superior to the default "xv" driver. This on my Ati Radeon 9600 video card which is no longer supported by Ati.

Return to “LMDE Archive”