uninstall the mint... bla bla

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
specmod0
Level 3
Level 3

uninstall the mint... bla bla

Post by specmod0 »

How do i uninstall this UGLY Linux mint theme? I want to install the Debian theme..or some kind of better theme.. . this is a fresh install.

instead of spending hours fixing everything by hand i would rather install the Debian theme.... I do not like the package manger.. how do i go about replacing it? Why are all the icons so small? so is the text? the fronts? or whatever

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Re: uninstall the mint... bla bla

Post by randomizer »

specmod0 wrote:How do i uninstall this UGLY Linux mint theme? I want to install the Debian theme..or some kind of better theme.. . this is a fresh install.
Your two best friends:
Appearance->Theme
http://gnome-look.org

Google would have told you this much faster.
specmod0 wrote:I do not like the package manger.. how do i go about replacing it?
By installing something that is not a Debian derivative? Unless you are referring to the package manager front-ends like Synaptic and the Software Center, in which case you remove them like any other application. Replacing them with something else may be a bit more effort. Synaptic is the most used graphical front-end to APT/dpkg.
specmod0 wrote: Why are all the icons so small? so is the text? the fronts? or whatever
Because you haven't changed them?

vicshrike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vicshrike »

why didnt you install Debian from the start?

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

These are the Linux Mint appearance packages:
mint-wallpapers-extra
mint-wallpapers-previous-releases
mint-clearloox-theme
mint-elementary-icons
mint-x-icons
mint-x-theme
grub2-theme-mint
mint-artwork-debian (just a choice of gtk and icon themes)
mint-stylish-addon (for Firefox)

If you have a penchant for Debian's theme

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install desktop-base

off220
Level 1
Level 1

Post by off220 »

so if one removes everything from mint repo, he'll have pure debian? Do I understand it correct?
Happy LMDE user.

Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

Not entirely true, but that might just be semantics. Some of the Mint-enhancements involve some install-time configurations of scripts and files read on boot - such as setting up sudo, as I understand. The casual user probably won't see the difference, so...
The TRUE way to get TRUE Debian is to use their install-media.

ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

vicshrike wrote:why didnt you install Debian from the start?
+1

I also don't know, why he installed LMDE when he dislikes anything that sets it apart from Debian ... :roll:
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Well, Mint Debian is quite a bit easier to install than Debian Testing, but...

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

For anyone with a clue about installing Linux, it really isn't that much easier. A little less time-consuming, yes, but not really easier. The Debian install is very much a matter of following the prompts. The real difference lies in the extra configuration that you can do with it that Mint and Ubuntu typically leave out, and the fact that Debian's installer doesn't like running from a USB flash drive and expects to find the install image on a CD.

But yea, if you really want Debian, you should run Debian. Apart from the installer, proprietary packages, the theme (which is not actually Mint's) and the mint tools - almost all of which you want to remove - LMDE is Debian.

specmod0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by specmod0 »

Why didn't they just keep the Debian installer? instead of wasting time by writing new again? Why re-invent the wheel? how many million installer programs do we need? Why not just keep building the one that already there... add better support and fix the bugs.. instead of spending months writing a new one.. that has less futures? unless they are going to build something that would blow the old one away.....

They could have added usb support to the Debian installer? it has a graphic installer..

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

Debian Stable has a graphical installer. I don't think Testing does. In any case, the whole point of building a new installer (well I believe they are planning on porting Ubiquity actually) is to remove features, not add them. More features is apparently more confusing. I suppose if you're used to Windows that would be true because the installer doesn't let you do anything but play with partitions and stick in your product key.

If you want the Debian installer, why not use Debian? You don't seem to have a reason for using Mint other than to pick out the differences and complain about them. If LMDE was the same as Debian it wouldn't need to exist.

specmod0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by specmod0 »

Ubiquity would be better... as long as they add support for full disk encryption ect...

the great thing about LINUX is its Features! by taking away features you just end up with a windows clone.

I noticed we can back up our programs? How many gigs of space is that going to take?! why not just make program that makes a list of installed programs and have the updated or manger re-download the latest versions of the programs you had installed before? I just installed 40 programs.. would be nice if i could have a list of all the programs in a text file that i can store away, in case i have to re-install Linux or my hard drives crashes... So i don't have to spend an hour looking for all the programs i once had installed... including firefox plug ins.. maybe even rearrange the desktop back to the way i had it before too....

gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gotjazz »

specmod0 wrote: I noticed we can back up our programs? How many gigs of space is that going to take?! why not just make program that makes a list of installed programs and have the updated or manger re-download the latest versions of the programs you had installed before?
uhm that is essentially what it does...........

meandean
Level 2
Level 2

Post by meandean »

randomizer wrote:.... the fact that Debian's installer doesn't like running from a USB flash drive and expects to find the install image on a CD.
I almost always install from USB or the hard drive....seems to work
Debian Stable has a graphical installer. I don't think Testing does.
uh...you may want to think again :wink:

ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ukbrian »

I expect I'm terribly wrong to say this but as an old man I have found the best way to deal with
dickheads and trash is to just laugh at their feeble attempts to gain attention and
just ignore them and like a bad smell they go away.

But that's a very antisocial thing to say so I won't say it :oops:
ukbrian

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

meandean wrote:uh...you may want to think again :wink:
Hmm, it has been a while since I've tried it.

Mike54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike54 »

randomizer wrote:If LMDE was the same as Debian it wouldn't need to exist.
Exactly. if LMDE was the same as Debian, it would be... wait for it... Debian.

I have no problem with anyone who doesn't enjoy LMDE. We all have different needs and wants, so we're not all going to enjoy using the same distro. But, and correct me if I am mistaken, the beauty of so many different distros is the ability to test them until we find one we want to use. I found Mint 9 to suit me better than Ubuntu Lucid and it cost me nothing to switch. When LMDE was introduced, it appeared to be a friendly and soft-core step closer to Debian. And it cost me nothing to switch to LMDE, either. Had I felt comfortable switching to Debian, I would have made the move months ago. I didn't feel I was ready for that move and I also found this community is more to my liking, so here I am. And I plan to stay here until someone gets tired of this auld git asking newbie questions. :wink:

A few years back, I installed PCLinuxOS and it just didn't 'feel' comfortable. I didn't waste anyone's time by complaining about it, I just pulled up stakes and moved on. It's really not that hard to do.

Return to “LMDE Archive”