Poll: Who wants a 64-bit version of Linux Mint Debian?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in a 64-bit version of Linux Mint Debian?

Yes! Give me that 64-bit Debian goodness!
72%
No. 32-bit is good enough.
25%
64-bit? Nah, I'm waiting for the 128-bit version.
3%

Total votes: 64

mmactyre
Level 1
Level 1

Poll: Who wants a 64-bit version of Linux Mint Debian?

Post by mmactyre »

From http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php on the last line of Question 5:
Will it come in 64-bit? With KDE or other desktops?... When it's fully on par with the Main Edition and if there is a demand for it, further editions will come for LMDE.
It seems like the devs want to know if there is a demand for a 64-bit version of Linux Mint Debian (as well as other versions). No pressure on the devs; they asked an honest question and they deserve an honest answer.
Matthew

KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Poll: Who wants a 64-bit version of Linux Mint Debian?

Post by KittyKatt »

The first question that must be answered is: "Is it on par with the Main Edition yet?"

I personally think it's too early to tell what the answer to the above question will be. I will, however, vote yes for 64-bit.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

If the 32 bit version works out to be on par with Main Edition, then i think the most important variations needed is both 64 bit and the KDE desktop...
both Gnome and KDE versions should be available in 32 and 64 bit....

5dolla
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 5dolla »

to be honest Debian is as stable if not more stable then Ubuntu even in its testing form. So not
having a 64 bit release is just silly. Most computers now days support 64 bit so why should we
suffer with the 32 bit version. yeah i know about the "big memory kernel", but lets be honest
why should we as a community settle for a band aid option. just my two cents.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

At this moment ... all the Mint Devs are working on the new Mint-10 release/versions that are forthcoming probably next month.

Give then a little time, as I'm sure the 64-bit version of LMDE is in the works. :mrgreen:

Correct, that all new computers have 64-bit capabilities ...
But, as has, been stated before - unless you have more than 4 Gb of RAM, most of the processors abilities just sit there - waiting.
Even my new AAO Netbook with 1 Gb RAM has a 64-bit processor.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

deleted

Post by deleted »

vrkalak wrote: Correct, that all new computers have 64-bit capabilities ...
But, as has, been stated before - unless you have more than 4 Gb of RAM, most of the processors abilities just sit there - waiting.
Even my new AAO Netbook with 1 Gb RAM has a 64-bit processor.
...But the coolness would be that even though we (might) have 4 gigs of ram on a 64 bit pc, when we get our allowance and buy 4 more gigs, the OS will grow with us (without a re-install).

On that note, should the standard 32-bit distros default to a pae kernel?
-Hinto

mikeymouse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikeymouse »

Yes i want a 64 bit Debian system. Imagine never having to reinstall again , or maybe just once in a while ..
It better have all the programs required to get online with dialup..that is a necessity, of course only for those
of us who have to use dialup.. Yes its sad but true dialup is still out there and a lot of us are on it..
yes for 64 bit but i will take 32 bit if it pops up..
thanks
mikeymouse :twisted:

mmactyre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmactyre »

vrkalak wrote:Give then a little time, as I'm sure the 64-bit version of LMDE is in the works. :mrgreen:
I was chatting with one of the devs on IRC a couple of days ago, and he told me that there would already be a 64-bit version if he had the hardware to support it.
Matthew

mmactyre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmactyre »

hinto wrote:
vrkalak wrote:On that note, should the standard 32-bit distros default to a pae kernel?
-Hinto
Mentioning PAE does bring up a question. Are there any limitations using PAE compared with a 64-bit OS's ability to address memory?
Last edited by mmactyre on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew

Mike54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike54 »

I will be happy to switch a couple of machines over to 64 bit LMDE when it becomes available. Until then, both machines are zipping right along on Mint 9, so it's not as if I am missing out on the goodness of Mint while i wait.

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

mmactyre wrote:
hinto wrote:
vrkalak wrote:On that note, should the standard 32-bit distros default to a pae kernel?
-Hinto
Mentioning PAE does bring up a question. Are there any limitations using PAE compared with a 64-bit OS's ability to address memory?
Take a look at this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... _pae&num=1 Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

deltatux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deltatux »

Until there's a 64-bit KDE version of LMDE, I'm going to stick with the Ubuntu variant but am very interested in LMDE.

Who the hell runs 32-bit in this day and age unless they have ancient hardware? I'm surprised the experiment wasn't on 64-bit to begin with.

deltatux

linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linmint777 »

yes , yes, i´m waiting for.
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com

water spirit
Level 2
Level 2

Post by water spirit »

Yes I do, I believe 64-bit computer 64-bit operating system, can't see why not.

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

I voted yes, I normally run the 32bit versions as I don't see any improvement in speed using the 64 bit and the memory foot print is much smaller. Anyway I do like having the option of both versions.
LMDE ROCKS!!!

caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I use 32 bit LMDE
And _64 Mint 9

I voted to get _64 LMDE

Whilst I accept it's probably not a necessity, as 32 works just fine and some would argue - probably better than _64 will. Isn't Linux all about progress, so let's do it.
If any of you use _64 windows OS, try downloading the _64 Firefox Browser...That's how things progress on the darkside.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

LMDE x64 isn't going to be released for a long while, not until Mint 10 is finally released and the devs work out some of the issues with the 32-bit edition, e.g. a more flexible installer, ports of common packages like Hardware Drivers GUI (jockey-gtk), or usb-creator-gtk, and so on. If you guys don't want to wait though, like I've said before, go build your own Debian Testing 64-bit. You'll have to read a few docs first, but it's quite the educational experience, especially if you're working with a netinst install.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

admiralspark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by admiralspark »

On that subject (sorry for the threadjack), if I wished to build a 64 bit LMDE do I just download the source code/compile for 64bit kernel from the mint debian repos? Or do the packages work on both (I assume not, either way shouldn't be too hard).
Lenovo Y560: Intel i7 quad core, 8gb ram, 500gb hdd, ATi Radeon 5730 1GB dedicated, 15.6" HD widescreen, Linux Mint 10 x64/Windows 7 x64/Mint Debian
Please help convince Netflix to support Linux!

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

The Mint Debian repos do not contain any kernels. In fact, packages.linuxmint.com contains a very small set of packages, mostly just the Mint tools, e.g. mintInstall, mintMenu, etc. Most packages come directly from upstream Debian. I've made a short set of tutorials here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/197 and http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/198
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

TheMonster0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMonster0 »

I know enough people who say they would try Linux Mint Debian if a 64-bit edition was available. So I vote YES.

Return to “LMDE Archive”