Only 1 Workspace in LMDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hypoxic
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Only 1 Workspace in LMDE?

Post by hypoxic »

not sure exactly what happened/changed, but today after rebooting the same system that yesterday had the same experiences as everyone above i now no longer have the flashy 'cube' switching and it appears that compiz isn't even running as the other flashy bits don't appear to be enabled either. however now i still have multiple desktops/workspaces and now the Workspaces Switcher panel app has the option to change the number of desktops, including setting it to '2'. i'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to configuring desktop behavior to know where to look for the actual config settings/files to see what settings may have changed, but for those looking for a 2 workspace solution you might play around with running compiz and using the settings above, then killing or restarting w/o compiz and see it the result works for you. hth, and if anyone can tell me where to look, i can provide the output of whatever state the config files are in now
Dr.m0x
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Dr.m0x »

Ok guys I've been running LMDE x64 on my laptop since yesterday. I did notice this issue as I like a two desktop setup with desktop wall and edge move/dnd functionality. Under Compiz settings I can only select 1 or 4 desktops which is very annoying as I like to have 2!

It was quite easy to solve the problem actually ... I just had to run gconf-editor and change the settings there.

1. Press alt+f2
2. type "gconf-editor" in the box and press enter.
3. Go thru the menu path to apps -> compiz -> screen0 -> options
4. Double click on the value which says hsize
5. Enter the desired horizontal size (in my case 2)

There ... problem solved! I know its quite a non intuitive way of doing it but at least it can be done (relatively) easily :)

Hope that helps some of you out.
Vidar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vidar »

Thanks! Worked fine!
mfctyro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mfctyro »

1. Press alt+f2

There ... problem solved! I know its quite a non intuitive way of doing it but at least it can be done (relatively) easily :)
Nope. Didn't work for me. What DID work was: ctrl+alt+uparrow and add as many workspaces as you need.

Mind you I had already done what you said so who knows?

Another Dave
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

mfctyro wrote:
1. Press alt+f2

Nope. Didn't work for me. What DID work was: ctrl+alt+uparrow and add as many workspaces as you need.

Mind you I had already done what you said so who knows?

Another Dave
i would be surprised if it did work.
if you didn't notice yet the last post in this topic is more than one year old, from the time lmde was using gnome2, you are now using either mate or cinnamon.
for your description i assume (but that's the best i can do) that you are using cinnamon, so the way of accomplish this is totally different.

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Return to “LMDE Archive”