[Solved] Problem Playing Video

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Scorpio_Snake
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Problem Playing Video

Post by Scorpio_Snake »

I just installed LMDE and installed all updates. However I am having a problem with Totem playing video. I have tried flv, ogg and mp4 files. All totem will do is open the file and sit there. It will not play any of them.

Ok, so I will try them with vlc. vlc will play the files but it does not play any sound. Sound does work on the computer as it will play youtube vidoes just fine and I have system sounds. vlc is not muted. I turned the volume all the up and still nothing.

Any help is appreciated.

By the way, this is my first experience with Linux Mint. It seems pretty nice so far and I really like the idea of the rolling release.
Last edited by Scorpio_Snake on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scorpio_Snake
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem Playing Video

Post by Scorpio_Snake »

Ok, I walked away from the computer for a few hours and when I get back and try it the video is playing fine for both totem and vlc. I really have no idea what was going on here but it is working. I am not sure what proper forum etiquette is around here. Should I delete this?

blowtorch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blowtorch »

Scorpio_Snake wrote:I just installed LMDE and installed all updates. However I am having a problem with Totem playing video. I have tried flv, ogg and mp4 files. All totem will do is open the file and sit there. It will not play any of them.

Ok, so I will try them with vlc. vlc will play the files but it does not play any sound. Sound does work on the computer as it will play youtube vidoes just fine and I have system sounds. vlc is not muted. I turned the volume all the up and still nothing.

Any help is appreciated.

By the way, this is my first experience with Linux Mint. It seems pretty nice so far and I really like the idea of the rolling release.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 16#p335181

vicshrike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vicshrike »

Scorpio_Snake wrote:Ok, I walked away from the computer for a few hours and when I get back and try it the video is playing fine for both totem and vlc. I really have no idea what was going on here but it is working. I am not sure what proper forum etiquette is around here. Should I delete this?
Glad it works for you, mark topic solved.

Return to “LMDE Archive”