UBUNTU 10.10 -->LMDE direct upgrade possible ?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
benny59
Level 1
Level 1

UBUNTU 10.10 -->LMDE direct upgrade possible ?

Post by benny59 »

Hi you all,

I am running LMDE since day one on my laptop. I am so excited that I'd like to migrate our family desktop to it. As this desktop is shared and running also Puppy, I am investigating if it's ubuntu (latest version updated) partition can be moved to LMDE seamlessy with not fresh installation from scratch. Otherwise I need to tailor a new configuration for that machine.

What I am asking is how to say to the installation: "from now on you are LMDE, keep it in sync !"

am I crazy or leazy ?

benny
azathoth
Level 3
Level 3

Re: UBUNTU 10.10 -->LMDE direct upgrade possible ?

Post by azathoth »

LMDE is directly based on Debian testing and therefore fully compatible with Debian. Ubuntu, while loosely based on Debian, is not fully compatible. There are several differences including, some system file/folder locations, shared libraries, kernel, etc. For this reason it is highly inadvisable to use Ubuntu applications or repos with Debian, there are some similarities but enough differences to break a Debian install in most cases. Another major difference between LMDE and Maverick is that LMDE is based on the testing branch of Debian by default and uses the testing repos, where Maverick uses the Sid repos. The list goes on. You would want to start clean in any case.
Hope this answers your question.

P.S. Make sure to read the release notes and Clem's blog about LMDE.
arch | kernel26-lqx | kde 4.7.0 & xfce 4.8.1(tiling)
"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." ~ Mark Twain
MyLast.fm
benny59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benny59 »

Thanks for your reply.
the current situation challenges me. As I am supposed to rebuild the partition, I decided to try anyway. nothing to loose and if it works I will not miss the global machine configuration to rebuild.

So I noticed on my LMDE a meta package including all needed stuffs so I appended my LMDE /etc/apt/sources.list to the ubuntu one and updated/upgraded the system ticking all mint entries I could find.
after rebootin the mintUpdate icon was in the control bar. good sign, but basically it was still Ubuntu.

So I commented not mint entries and I gave the commands apt-get clean, autoclean, update, upgrade. the system started downloading new modules and install them.

At the moment I don't know the end of story as my boys needed such machine and I had to leave to take my hands off.

I will describe you the end of story when I will reboot the new system (if it will reboot)
benny
k3lt01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by k3lt01 »

Benny unless you change the Ubuntu repositories for Debian repositories you will not end up with LMDE. LMDE by its very name is Debian not Ubuntu. Just enabling Mint packages will give you a Mint version of Ubuntu.
benny59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benny59 »

I did it actually

My idea was to proceed step by step :
1) download and install most mint packages I was allowed to, so I ADDED the LMDE /etc/apt/sources.list to the ubuntu sources.list and then update and installed all mint* new entries. I am aware that this is still ubuntu

2) Disable ubuntu repository and switch over giving the control to LMDE. I had some problems on this phase as some processes (i.e. update-manager or so were locking repositories) and i just KILLED-9! them (I know I am not the best technical in the world..)

3) Finally I rebooted and gave the apt-get update and upgrade commands, the system started downloading about 350MB and install replacing old packages.

As said I don't know yet the result of the operation as boys (23 an 20 !) room is off limits at the moment for me.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sgosnell »

Doing it that way, you will end up with the system still looking like Ubuntu, because your /home is the same, with the same configuration files. You'll get some change in look and feel, but certainly not all of it. That may or may not be a bad thing for you. It will still be familiar to the other users, so that's probably a plus.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.
benny59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benny59 »

This is fine for me. The aim is having a rolling edition also for that machine, themes and cosmetics are not relevant to me...
thanks for your support and suggestions.

benny
deivid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deivid »

Hi benny, what was the final outcome of your experiment? I might be attempting the same thing.
benny59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benny59 »

Hi you all,
I gave up and installed plain Julia from scratch on that pc.
I still have LMDE on my laptop and sometimes I am attempted to do the same.
In general I was enthusiastic of the rolling edition concept, but the real word is different as computers are different and the SW you install makes additional entropy to the system (at least me, my wife is using a stable ubuntu LTE as writing machine on her netbook).
I will evaluate what to do to my system running LMDE since the beginning once Katya will be released and see if the upgrade goes on smoothly.
The major problems I faced were:
- possible errors in scripts during one of update process (rarely, but happened)
- disk space growth due to old stuff not purged. I tried on my own to apt autoremove but I am not sure I cleaned all and only it was needed.

so, 50% satisfied.
regards
benny

Return to “LMDE Archive”