Theming brainstorm for LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Theming brainstorm for LMDE

Post by gotjazz »

well it's me again with a tiny little thing. I don't know if this is on purpose or not so I thought I'd mention it here: The progress bar of multimedia players (in the screenshot it's vlc) used ut have a green "highlight-trail" behind the button. Now the area before and after it look the same:
Attachments
vlc.png
vlc.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 5982 times

SkiesOfAzel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SkiesOfAzel »

kruijf wrote:Is there something new what you can let us see already again?? or what you can tel us?
Well, things are a little uncertain at this time. Minty-Freshness won't become the new LMDE theme, that's the only thing i can tell you for certain. It will either become the new default Mint theme, or it will be included as an optional theme and mint-x will get some improvements and bug fixes for the next release (this is the more probable scenario). In the next few days i will move Minty-Freshness into it's own git repo and i will start modifying mint-x into the existing one. Freshness will also keep getting improvements.
gotjazz wrote:well it's me again with a tiny little thing. I don't know if this is on purpose or not so I thought I'd mention it here: The progress bar of multimedia players (in the screenshot it's vlc) used ut have a green "highlight-trail" behind the button. Now the area before and after it look the same:
You are right, i hadn't noticed this, i will fix it for the next update. Thanks for pointing it out :).

gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gotjazz »

:( I'd have loved for the debian edition to have it's own default theme. Oh well you can't always get etc etc....

elav
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elav »

SkiesOfAzel wrote: Well, things are a little uncertain at this time. Minty-Freshness won't become the new LMDE theme, that's the only thing i can tell you for certain. It will either become the new default Mint theme, or it will be included as an optional theme and mint-x will get some improvements and bug fixes for the next release (this is the more probable scenario). In the next few days i will move Minty-Freshness into it's own git repo and i will start modifying mint-x into the existing one. Freshness will also keep getting improvements.
In the address where he was Minty-Freshner in Git, now Mint-X .. Where I can get now Minty-Freshner? "Minty-Freshner not receive any more updates? :?

JohanSJA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohanSJA »

May I suggest that Liberation font family is used as default font family used across LMDE? Ubuntu font is nice but just isn't as complete as Liberation which I think is the nicest among Dejavu, Freefront and so on.

elav
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elav »

JohanSJA wrote:May I suggest that Liberation font family is used as default font family used across LMDE? Ubuntu font is nice but just isn't as complete as Liberation which I think is the nicest among Dejavu, Freefront and so on.
Liberation may be a fairly comprehensive source, but it is ugly, in fact, is very ugly. Ubuntu source I find it quite complete and failing that, use Aller, which is more than the source from where he initially Ubuntu font.

JohanSJA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohanSJA »

elav wrote:
JohanSJA wrote:May I suggest that Liberation font family is used as default font family used across LMDE? Ubuntu font is nice but just isn't as complete as Liberation which I think is the nicest among Dejavu, Freefront and so on.
Liberation may be a fairly comprehensive source, but it is ugly, in fact, is very ugly. Ubuntu source I find it quite complete and failing that, use Aller, which is more than the source from where he initially Ubuntu font.
That's why my friends could not trust my taste when comes to art. You are the expert and I believe that you know what is the best. I am just voicing up my suggestion. :D

elav
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elav »

JohanSJA wrote:
elav wrote:
That's why my friends could not trust my taste when comes to art. You are the expert and I believe that you know what is the best. I am just voicing up my suggestion. :D
Hahaha no, not really my expertise. Just do not have to be a great designer to realize that the font you propose for distribution as current as LMDE, is a bit ugly.

bwat47
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bwat47 »

I personally think droid sans is quite a nice font. There's a few distro's using it as default now.

The ubuntu font is really sexy but only on ubuntu and with certain font rendering settings (for example if you set hinting to anything but slight it looks terrible). And for some reason in LMDE it doesn't look as good as in ubuntu even with the same settings :/ which is why I am using droid right now.

gozer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gozer »

I tried to grab Minty-Freshness from the git repo above, but it looks like a copy of Mint-X. Am I missing something here?
Debian Testing
g+

ferdi6917
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ferdi6917 »

gozer wrote:I tried to grab Minty-Freshness from the git repo above, but it looks like a copy of Mint-X. Am I missing something here?
you can download deb file of minty-freshness from http://webupd8.googlecode.com/files/min ... .5_all.deb

cheers :wink:

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Great looking themes. :D
I'll toss in one, I wanted to try a new one anyhow that's glossy and clean anyhow.
I'll start designing it and upload results after I get it going.

Have they come up with an official lmde logo yet that I can add into it?
This one should be fun.
Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Intio
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Intio »

Am I right in thinking that we can no longer access minty-freshness-theme from GIT? It's my first time using GIT and I downloaded and installed the updated Mint-X themes just fine - but I wanted a newer minty-freshness (my current version is 0.5.5) so I typed:

git clone http://github.com/SkiesOfAzel/minty-freshness-theme.git

but was asked for a username and password. Is development in minty-freshness still ongoing? Will it be released to the public soon?
Asus Eee 701 Netbook - 2GB OCZ RAM
Debian Edition - Xfce

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Well I made up a quick wallpaper for the theme I'm going try and make up for this.
I uploaded it on deviantart to save my webhosting from the bandwith for once :mrgreen:
Figured I'll start using them instead.
Here be the wallpaper
LMDEwallpaperThumb.png
LMDEwallpaperThumb.png (332.73 KiB) Viewed 5550 times
I made a seamless tile for the background on this one
Here's a bigger image of it.
LMDEin200.png
LMDEin200.png (12.58 KiB) Viewed 5550 times
In the download I included everything to make in case anyone wanted to change things around for themselves.
I have that seamless tile in 4 sizes and one set without the highlight so 8 in total.
I added the gimp file for the tile, plus the two sizes of the wallpaper (gimp files included for those also with the layers).
The two sizes are 2560x1600 and 1600x1200.

I'm going to make the theme in three versions (black, white and metallic) with green and gold in all three.
I'll start uploading when I get it going, hopefully to match the wallpaper somewhat.

You can download all the files for this wallpaper HERE

Sam

I had a request to make another one without the middle logo, I thought I better mention it here in case anyone wanted to mod this wallpaper to there own liking.
I added all the files you need to mod it as you want (including all the gimp files) if you want it without the middle logo just hide all layers in the gimp file except the last three and save it as a png or jpg, or you can add whatever you want in it, or make the tile bigger with or without highlights (I added all those files to for the tiles plus the gimp file for that also in case anyone wanted to mod it or change to there liking or use for something else they had in mind).Just add the tile pngs in your gimp pattern folder and select the area and use the paint can to tile it.
Hopefully this will help :)

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Alrighty
here's the metacity frame so far.
I added the menubar and toolbar just to show how it blends together at the right edge. Tried to make a it look sort of like a faded leaf, with the buttons like a small leaf.
This theme will be different as I am doing all the artwork in transparencies only as an overlay (the whole thing), that way you can drop any background color or pattern you want with no recoding or extra artwork. It's aa bit of challenge because even though I use a dark background when making it and then get rid of it when I save it , sometime it just doesn't look right when you put the pieces together :lol: then it's back to the drawing board (like that little lmde at the center bottom, that's my 4th attempt), the top was suppose to scroll down over the menubar at the right but highlight I put on top of the menubar sort of hides that so I'll tweak it some more then add the rest.
I was going to use a gtk that uses ubuntulooks but thats a headache for folks to install (well for some) so I'll come up with one that doesn't need any special installs.
Har it be so far (the dark series one. I have to make a separate one for light colors)
LMDEdarkseries.png
LMDEdarkseries.png (82.83 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
I'll add more when I get the gtk finished and the art for that and tweak what I have already done some more.
Sam

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Alrighty I have the dark pretty much finished, just have to tweak some text colors as far as I can see so far, unless I find more stuff that needs to be tweaked.
I made it so all you have to do is drop background files to change the whole background, (you'll see the difference in a dark metallic one and just a black one.
(Nice and easy to make it whatever color you want (although I think dark looks cool, I still prefer light myself to work with, so I'll make one almost the same excpt for light colors or light patterns)
Har be the dark series.
First all black background
lmdeblack.png
lmdeblack.png (120.89 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
And with a dark metallic background instead.
lmdemetallic.png
lmdemetallic.png (350.94 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
I'll upload with the gimp files soon as I finish tweaking it a bit more.
Let me know what you think or any changes etc etc....

edit: ok I have this ready for download now, it can be downloaded HERE
The gimpy files for it can downloaded HERE
Thanks
Sam

Ps the debian symbol looks wonky in the TWL but it actually matches up in the browser

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Made another wallpaper, I made one for linux mint alone with all editions added to it and I made this one specially for linux mint debian edition.
Thought I was add to the list here for anyone who want it.
All the gimp files are included also plus the seamless tile and the two regular sizes in pngs feel free to change it to your hearts content.
Here it be.
LMDEsteelWallpaper800x500.png
LMDEsteelWallpaper800x500.png (475.13 KiB) Viewed 5366 times
Hopefully I'll make another theme for this wallpaper, might even try a gtk3 and xfwm one to go with it this time so it can be used for pretty much anything, just got to learn gtk3 :?
Here's where you can get it link

Enjoy
Sam

SmithTech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SmithTech »

I would like to suggest a blue theme for LMDE.
As Debian is blue themed by default, the LMDE should stick with that.
Call it PepperMint :-) (the theme, not the release)

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Blue would be nice, it's my favorite color so I'm partial to it, makes more work for artist but not much more, I just redid the wallpaper above for kde and changed the green to blue it only took about 5 minutes or so to change it over so it's not that bad.
Not a big fan of the big red swirl though, I like the swirl not the color red though or that hot pink I seen :? really not a fan of hot pink.
well see if anyone does anything blue and see how it looks I guess, maybe I'll whip up something quick just to see how it looks like.
Sam

SmithTech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SmithTech »

I'm working on two blue themes, the first is just the default theme with all the green changed to blue.
The second is a bit more blue, although I'm not quite happy with the colors right now.
Here's what it looks like now.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26090332/Pepper ... shot-1.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26090332/Pepper ... shot-2.png

Return to “LMDE Archive”