Hardware Drivers Application

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rich_roast

Re: Hardware Drivers Application

Post by rich_roast »

Ooh, me likes already :D Not least because I used to have that exact card!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Nice work ikey, I am sure a lot of people are waiting for this. :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

u rock sir!! bring it on :)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Great. Badly needed in LMDE. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

Ikey,
Really looking forward to this. Great work!
titohal

Post by titohal »

I just entered to say thank you!
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

That's great news Ikey, thanks for working on this it will be a great addition to LMDE
NewDisciple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NewDisciple »

Exciting news!
premamotion

Post by premamotion »

tdockery97 wrote:Great. Badly needed in LMDE. :D
I need it! :) Thank you!
Koninator

Post by Koninator »

Good idea, I like it :).
But can you do this similar as MS device manager. I mean more devices, not only devices with propriety available drivers.
And when you click on device the packages would appear witch are used by device, or are available to install for device.
And maybe linked with Mint community hardware database , so you could, see what problems have people with this device and how to fix it.
And could you have link to configuration files for device, so you could reconfigure them (maybe xorg.conf for graphic card etc).
And ...
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Instead of a binary application local to a user's installation, I would suggest a web/ajax application that can get/manage local installations of hardware devices
  • Sorta like Gmail or others provide for email, or some companies offer for cloud based computers..
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9573
Ajax..
http://www.jolicloud.com/
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/pe ... es/373614/
Cloud computing..

If you could do that, it would be more generally useful to all; especially if you also supported Linux in general, as well specific or preferred distributions
  • As Bruce Lee (in a movie) said "Don't limit yourself" or was it "Don't waste yourself"
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

Hi Ikey,

I just replaced Mint9 lxde with Debian 6 lxde / xfce and discovered that the issues it had with shutting down on my old ibm thinkpad and playing well with the system clock must have been Ubuntu issues because it's not an issue so far with the Debian squeeze install. (I still have lmde 64bit on my desktop pc.)

However I did have to install b43-cutter and it installed the broadcom drivers for bcm 4318, and it should have worked especially after a reboot. I also installed wicd, but it kept telling me 'no wireless networks found'. I've manually installed the drivers on the same laptop with Fedora and I know they work, so after trying 'ifup wlan0' and getting the same message I began to suspect it was an issue with wicd. I installed synaptic so I could do a search, and then installed NetworkManager and a nm gui for the xfce desktop. Booted into the xfce desktop and guess what? NM found wireless networks but wicd still found nothing.

So the short message to my long story is: please don't use wicd as a base for anything to do with wireless (unless you know why it was useless to me in my case). I'm just going to un-install it in this case. Thanks for reading!
Silberwoelfin

Post by Silberwoelfin »

Great idea, Ikey, just please don't put it in the cloud as DrHu suggested above. I really don't need other people knowing my computer configuration.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

I'm ready to test it---as soon as you post it, I'll be on it!!!!!
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Absolutely wonderful! One more "easy" configuration tool to attract more and more LMDE users.
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

Ikey,
Looking forward to this because my ATI Radeon 9700 doesn't seem to properly work with Compiz on LMDE.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi ikey,

I hope i have understood what you are writing as I know that some of my drivers are out of date on my machine and need updating. I have tried in the past, with no luck, to do it by myself. I will most certainly install the app and have a go with it.

good luck :D
jalcradus

Post by jalcradus »

Great! Thanks so much.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Nice work ikey 8) Is this an sgfxi frontend?
vicshrike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vicshrike »

great news, one question though, will it work with other Debian derivates? (based on Squeeze)

Return to “LMDE Archive”