Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

secipolla

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by secipolla »

gnome-shell currently has this obsolete dependency.

But more important, don't upgrade today! The latest upgrade broke gnome-shell. Wait until it's fixed.
(of course you may try to upgrade only baobab, gedit and epiphany to their new versions, leaving gjs and libgjs0b on hold)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Yes--I ran into that last night....waiting for new gjs......
wlake

Post by wlake »

GregE wrote:@Wlake

On the Mepis site both 32 and 64 bit packages ver 2.0.1-1 of libmozjs4d - 2.0.1-1mcr85+1

http://main.mepis-deb.org/M85packages.html

Worth a try
God love ya. I think that might do it. Downloaded and installed the package. Ran sudo apt-get -t experimental install gnome-shell and no dependency problems. I did not carry through though because of the warnings about upgrading right now. Will do it later.
Many thanks
wlake
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Looks like several things were b0rked with the updates last evening/this morning: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepor ... ell#_0_1_4

Bit of a mess--I tried to relink to lbmozjs4d as libmozjs.so without success---guess I'm waiting until this is resolved....4 bugs are listed as grave.
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

Well this is good information. While it did screw up my GS yesterday, it also tells me why I've been unable to get gnome shell installed to an installation of aptosid I've been playing with.

I use Clonezilla for situations just like this. :)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Yes--I'm back in my Sid install for the time being....not a problem---just wish they had rebuilt Gnome-Shell against libmozjs5d before updating everything else.....
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

The Fallback mode works fine.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

gnome-shell is back working.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

wow time to play again 8)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

I can't win for loosing----update to Nvidia (280.11.1) throws a dkms error & b0rks out....So no "advanced" video driver right now for me :( Still on Fallback mode or reboot to Sid.....
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

autocrosser wrote:I can't win for loosing----update to Nvidia (280.11.1) throws a dkms error & b0rks out....So no "advanced" video driver right now for me :( Still on Fallback mode or reboot to Sid.....
You should really use sgfxi to manage the NVIDIA driver instead of the Debian package.
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

Ok, my shell hasn't bounced back yet.

For those of you that got it back, are you following Raphael's recipe exactly or have you made some changes?

http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/06/16/in ... -no-sorry/
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

I use Debian sid/experimental. I have to remove the packages from the pinning file as they enter unstable.
In your case, although Raphael Hertzog is much more knowledgeable than me, I wouldn't leave the same list for both experimental and unstable in the pinning file.
So my /etc/apt/preferences.d/gnome is

Code: Select all

Package: alacarte banshee* *brasero* cheese dmz-cursor-theme ekiga empathy* evince* *evolution* file-roller *gconf* gdm3 *gnome gnome-activity-journal gnome-applets* gnome-backgrounds gnome-bluetooth gnome-cards-data gnome-control-center* gnome-desktop3-data gnome-disk-utility gnome-doc-utils gnome-games* gnome-icon-theme* gnome-media* gnome-menus gnome-session* gnome-shell *gstreamer* gvfs* libcamel* libchamplain* libebackend* libebook* libecal* libedata* libegroupwise* libevent* libgdata11 libgdu-gtk* libglib2.0* libgnome* libnm-* libnotify* libpanel-applet-4-0 *nautilus* network-manager* notification-daemon *pulse* python-gmenu rhythmbox* seahorse* *software-properties* sound-juicer system-config-printer tomboy *totem* transmission-* update-notifier vino xdg-user-dirs-gtk yelp
Pin: release experimental
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release experimental
Pin-Priority: 150
Those are the packages in experimental. Since you're running testing, I would try a file just like mine plus a package list pinned to unstable only with the relevant packages that are on unstable.
If it works, then you must monitor the packages that show up as obsolete in Synaptic because these are the packages that leave experimental and enter unstable (at least they show like that in my system).
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Well--I've sorted out the Nvidia problem---contacted the maintainer & found that there is currently a makefile prblem with the 3 series kernels (patch below)...I'm still running into a problem with libmozjs looking for the wrong version.....

Code: Select all

Jul 25 17:53:46 linux kernel: [   63.450466] gnome-shell[2983]: segfault at 128 ip 00007f7cec962f77 sp 00007fffd6ed4a10 error 4 in libmozjs.so.4d[7f7cec91a000+329000]
Jul 25 17:53:47 linux gnome-session[2879]: WARNING: Application 'gnome-shell.desktop' killed by signal
Jul 25 17:53:48 linux kernel: [   65.297724] gnome-shell[3286]: segfault at 128 ip 00007fb96196ff77 sp 00007fff9339bf20 error 4 in libmozjs.so.4d[7fb961927000+329000]
Jul 25 17:53:48 linux gnome-session[2879]: WARNING: App 'gnome-shell.desktop' respawning too quickly
Guess that I'll get it sorted out in the next day or so....
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

gnome-shell wasn't updated for amd64 (I use i386): http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gnome-shell
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

secipolla wrote:gnome-shell wasn't updated for amd64 (I use i386): http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gnome-shell
Thanks for the info...
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

secipolla wrote:gnome-shell wasn't updated for amd64 (I use i386): http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gnome-shell
That explains a lot.
karashata

Post by karashata »

Ah phooey, I wish I'd known that before I upgraded everything yesterday, I guess for the time being I'm stuck booting in fallback mode until GNOME Shell gets updated on amd64. Not that fallback mode isn't usable or looks hideous or anything... Actually isn't too bad... Anyone know how to add the Mint Menu to the list of applets so I can add it to my panel and get a more usable menu back? Right now that's about my only complaint...
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

@karashata; Good suggestion. How configurable is fallback mode? Other than changing the theme I don't know what can be done to it.
karashata

Post by karashata »

It's not quite as configurable, or at least not nearly as easy to configure, as GNOME 2 is. That said, I took maybe 5 minutes to tweak the panel layout as much as possible to how I had it configured in GNOME 2, minus the Mint Menu, which apparently doesn't (currently) work in GNOME 3 fallback mode. The key is that you have to hold the Alt key down when right-clicking the panel to bring up the options to move applets around or remove them, to add new applets, and such other things.

That said, I certainly wouldn't prefer GNOME 3 fallback over the GNOME Shell or over GNOME 2, it definitely lacks polish compared to either of the others.

Return to “LMDE Archive”