Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

edke
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by edke »

zerozero wrote:well what can i say? with nvidia doesn't work, go figure that :lol:
but anyway glad you got it up and running and welcome to the shell 8)
Thank you :) Ok, now need to go back through this thread and start tweaking shell some :)

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

ok, so after upgraded (not dist-upgraded) 2 things:
- the atolm-transparent shell theme doesn't work, it reverts to the default, but the regular atolm does 8) so not so bad, anyway i still have to figure out why one fails and the other doesn't;

- now i have 2 little windows in the notification area (one i see clearly is the cpu usage, the other no idea), clicking on either calls system monitor.

[ bliss of ignorance ]

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

karashata wrote:Glad to see GNOME Shell back up and running on x64... I have to ask though, has anyone else noticed the custom CSS for their extensions being broken/ignored? My installed extensions seem to be missing their spacing and/or are misaligned, and I'm unsure as to why, or how to possibly fix it. Anyone have any ideas..?
Anytime you have a Gnome-Shell update you need to re-run the patch posted a while back---at least until G-S has the patch included....Crud---that was the patch you posted on pg5---- http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/fix-gnom ... theme.html so everyone knows.... FP Murphy recommended re-patching G-S until it "really" gets into the change log......

Remember to do either a Log out/in or full reboot (not "normally" needed) to see the change in G-S.......
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR :)
Linux User# 395230

karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

Ahhh, right... I had forgotten about that patch... thanks, I'll reapply it then.
Linux Mint user since 2010, fluffy dragon forever!
Registered Linux User #473695

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

@edke

DO NOT INSTALL fglrx it will kill Gnome-Shell. I last tested with 11.6, but reports are that 11.7 is no better. It will run but with screen corruption everywhere. And it is a pain to remove and clean up all the symlinks and modules to get back to a working xorg-ati.

I have used the open source driver with an HD3450 and an HD 4250 and my new E350 Mini-ITX and they all ran Gnome-Shell smoothly with the open source driver. An Nvidia card with Nvidia drivers is the best performance option at the moment. Good old on board Intel works OK as well.

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

My Asrock E350 Mini-ITX system is now complete.

4gb RAM and a 2.5" WD Scorpio Blue 1Tb HDD in an ANTEC ISK300-65 case. Running 32bit LMDE and Gnome-Shell with open source drivers. It needed a 3.x kernel with powernowd for CPU frequency scaling to work. Most of the time it runs at 800hz (with 1.28 and 1.6ghz as the steps) and sips 26w of power. I runs about 29w when running flash on YouTube in a standard window. Full screen flash pushes it up to 33w. SD avi in Gnome-Mplayer drops back to 26-27w. It does struggle a bit with full screen flash so I await the fixing of fglrx, but I won't hold my breath waiting. Sound works with Pulseaudio. The USB3 ports seem to run full speed. The CPU fan is audible and I am looking to change for something closer to silent.

Running Chrome, email and general stuff like Nautilus it does not budge from 26w.

I has been a fun project and LMDE and Gnome3 work correctly.

NOTE: The 64bit install worked as well and would be the preferred option for most people. I just have to juggle my Kobo windows software and DirectX 3 games and 32bit Wine works better for me.
NOTE2: CPU fan on 5 and case fan on Lo = very quiet system.
Last edited by GregE on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

Good to see that everyone is back up & running....I'm just waiting for the next series of updates, can't wait to see the new stuff come in over the next couple of months!!!!

Here's a screenshot with the "stock" wallpaper, Nord as the G-S theme & Boulevard icons..... :D
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (155.76 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR :)
Linux User# 395230

edke
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by edke »

GregE wrote:@edke

DO NOT INSTALL fglrx it will kill Gnome-Shell. I last tested with 11.6, but reports are that 11.7 is no better. It will run but with screen corruption everywhere. And it is a pain to remove and clean up all the symlinks and modules to get back to a working xorg-ati.

I have used the open source driver with an HD3450 and an HD 4250 and my new E350 Mini-ITX and they all ran Gnome-Shell smoothly with the open source driver. An Nvidia card with Nvidia drivers is the best performance option at the moment. Good old on board Intel works OK as well.
Thanx for notice, I didn't installed it yet and now I won't. Everything runs smooth so no need.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

edke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by edke »

@autocrosser

That launcher u r using, on bottom side of the screen, what is it? Is it a docky?

And related question: is there a way yet to tweak default GS launcher to behave like docky in intellihide mode? I want to see launcher when no window covers it and show it on touching left edge of screen everywhere, not only when moving to upper left corner as default...

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

The launcher is Avant-Window Navigator...Of all the docks, I like it the best---lots of options & easy to configure.....

As far as the G-S launcher---FP Murphy has a wealth of info on his blog---I remember him talking about options... http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/04/gnome- ... eview.html

And there are several more pages---I don't remember which one covers what you're wanting---------
Linux User# 395230

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

Well after playing with gnome-fallback for the past few days on my 64-bit installation I decided to un-pin everything and just let aptitude do a safe-upgrade. My shell now works again.

This is after doing a dist-upgrade to 'sid' on LMDE. :)

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

cbowman57 wrote:Well after playing with gnome-fallback for the past few days on my 64-bit installation I decided to un-pin everything and just let aptitude do a safe-upgrade. My shell now works again.

This is after doing a dist-upgrade to 'sid' on LMDE. :)
:D :D :D WELCOME BACK TO SHELL-LAND!!! :D :D :D

Hey!! it's fun 'hangin on the edge :lol: zerozero & I have lots of "fun" there & it has not broken (much---) :lol: :lol:

Now, if you are "really" adventurous---you could do "Expermintal" :D
Linux User# 395230

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

autocrosser wrote:
:D :D :D WELCOME BACK TO SHELL-LAND!!! :D :D :D

Hey!! it's fun 'hangin on the edge :lol: zerozero & I have lots of "fun" there & it has not broken (much---) :lol: :lol:

Now, if you are "really" adventurous---you could do "Expermintal" :D
:lol: I'm pulling packages from experimental, but I'll stick with sid for some modicum of stability thankyouverymuch.

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

Hey zerozero!!!! There was a update on Gnomelooks for GnomishBeige yesterday.....I've looked at it & it might be a real good base for a LMDE G/S Mint theme with some tweeking....are you interested in taking a look? I'm up to playing with it.....It's now got a gtk2 & 3 plus the G/S theme......And as it's based on Adwaita, it "should" be easy to maintain..... http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=125443
Linux User# 395230

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

cbowman57 wrote:
:lol: I'm pulling packages from experimental, but I'll stick with sid for some modicum of stability thankyouverymuch.
Hmmm...It's really been my experience that my Sid b0rks more than my Expermintal install....I know it goes against logic, but that is my 2 cents---that & a 1.25 will buy you a cup of coffee :D
Linux User# 395230

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

autocrosser wrote:
cbowman57 wrote:
Hmmm...It's really been my experience that my Sid b0rks more than my Expermintal install....I know it goes against logic, but that is my 2 cents---that & a 1.25 will buy you a cup of coffee :D
Everything works fine on top of testing. Once set up and running all you have to do is an occasional opening of sid and experimental and update Gnome3 and gtk3 packages and dependencies, then turn off sid and experimental and do an apt-get clean. By reading this thread you can pick a time for a safe upgrade of Gnome Shell and the rest of the time just update testing. By taking the safe route none of my machines suffered any breakages in the last week.

But then we need the likes of autocrosser and zero zero to suffer the breakages for the rest of us to avoid.

As they say in the classics, it is only the pioneers who get the arrows in the back!

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

Don't know if anyone else is already doing it or not but I'm in the process of trying to build a custom iso using mintconstructor. Remastersys just doesn't seem up to the task, apparently there is a difference between Debian & LMDE that the author chooses not to address.

Anyone else tackled this with mintconstructor? Are there better alternatives?

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

Here is a question to ponder. What happens to LMDE when Gnome3 filters down through sid and into Wheezy? Whether in 6 months or a year from now. Do all the LMDE users do an update one day and find themselves suddenly in Gnome-Shell? I presume Debian have no intention of staying in the world of Gnome 2.x. All the effort going on in experimental would indicate that they do intend to migrate the whole of Wheezy to Gnome-Shell. All the current Mint desktop modifications will suddenly evaporate.
My point is that we are not really talking LMDE G/S Edition at all but LMDE itself in a not too distant future.

Update: I just checked the Debian Wiki and Gnome 3 is the target of Wheezy for the next stable release, along with KDE 4.6

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWheezy

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

Yes-That was my understanding & one of the reasons I started this thread... Gnome2 has about a year or so (maybe two) of real life left, so we needed to "get a handle" on needed mods, themes & customization for Gnome3---sooner, the better. My hope is that we have got a good start towards a Mint G-S.
Linux User# 395230

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

cbowman57 wrote:Don't know if anyone else is already doing it or not but I'm in the process of trying to build a custom iso using mintconstructor. Remastersys just doesn't seem up to the task, apparently there is a difference between Debian & LMDE that the author chooses not to address.

Anyone else tackled this with mintconstructor? Are there better alternatives?
these are some tips from Clem himself about mintconstrutor (some of them won't apply to this situation but anyway...)
You can install LMDE on your box, along with mintconstructor, virtualbox-nonfree, etc...
Update to mintupdate-debian and point to the latest repo, and update to update-pack 1
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/genisoimage /usr/bin/mkisofs (to fix a regression on mintconstructor, bcause some ##### broke that upstream just because he could)
You can build packages and grub works just the same way as on the Ubuntu base.
For the repository, ideally you'd be using the main debian one.. same as me... or a new debian-kde repository.
To build the ISO, I would suggest starting off the LMDE Gnome ISO and from there removing Gnome/GDM and installing KDE/KDM... then progressively working on making it look and behave as similar to the current KDE Edition as possible.
You should note a significant improvement in speed and snappiness, especially with KDE.
The current KDE version in LMDE is 4.6.3.

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Return to “LMDE Archive”