Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by cbowman57 »

@Sam, You really only want the user-themes extension installed in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions, unless you want them to apply to multiple users. All your other extensions really should be in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions.

I know the packagers for the distros are making them install systemwide but the extension authors pretty much agree they belong in the ~/.local folders per user.

You did install gnome-shell-extensions-common?

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

alrighty that worked nicely, Thanks cbowman I installed the two deb files they installed nicely and I now have user-theme working, the theme selector still is a no go for some reason it still seems to not want to read the extensions folder in the .local folder and I think thats where the problem lays.
Those deb files I got installed them in the /usr/share/gnome-shell folder instead and they work.
Must be ignoring the .local one for some reason. But at least it reads it now and I have already tried a copuple out I put in the .themes folder :D
So I am happy for now I can at least test some out now and make some.
I'll figure out why it doesnot want to read the .local folder later I guess.
Thanks again for all the help you made half of it work and I am extremely grateful because I really wanted to make some themes and test them easily.
Thanks Greg I thought if doing that but I really wanted to use this method instead because when I make a theme I test the crap out of while making it so I would be replacing it way to many times in the terminal to make it any fun, dropping it into a folder instead is a lot easier or working from the folder is even easier :D
Well now to come up with a theme.
Thanks again folks especially you cbowman you been a big help
Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

@Sam, show me the exact path you placed your extensions in. They should be in /home/username/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions and should look like this:
extensions.png
extensions.png (48.79 KiB) Viewed 2663 times

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Here you go
Here is the extensions in the .local folder, mind you I never took out the user-theme one yet it is also installed in the share folder one as you'll see.
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (19.14 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
And heres the other directory in the share section with extenstions in there.
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (34.49 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
The one in the local folder does not work at all it doesnt even reconize it is installed when I did a alt F2 lg, but if I change the gnome version in the metadata file it will lock me out so it is reading something.
I kind of feel if I add the theme selector in the /usr/share/gnome-shell folder it will work there I never tried that yet but I do have aa feeling it will.
Sam

EDIT: Never mind I found the what the problem was gawd Im so stupid sometimes, I went into alt f2 lg about 5 times and never checked the error log, it was the wrong version all those other ones in the /usr/share/gnome-shell one have the wrong version also, I checked out the user-theme you had me install that did work and it used version 3.0 and it worked so I switched the themeselector to that and preesto it worked, sorry for being so stupid and not checcking something i should of checked first before anything else it gave me my answer.

Thanks for all your patience very much appreciated, now I have to change the versions in all the rest of them to get them to work now.
Thanks again
Sam

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

Sam, now you can go to bed tonight & feel like you accomplished something. :)

I've been messing with gnome shell for quite awhile on Ubuntu. I even released a respin iso called gNatty back in May so I've been ironing out these rough spots for awhile now. Getting it all up & running on LMDE puts the fun back in it.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Ya I can use extensions finally :lol:
I still can't believe I didn't check the errors first, I went straight to extensions seen none and did not go to errors shaking my head at myself over that one, and that is a fantastic tool they have with gnome3 I like that alot.
Well I thank you sir for all your patience in this and your well thanked help.
I usually find answers on my own but this is new to me so Im a gnome3 noob. but it is fun learning this.
I deleted all those other extensions that were in the share folder that didn't install because I didnt want them anyhow but kept two of them od fixed them so they work now.
Next to get a theme going once I draft out an idea for one and get that weather one going.
Time for bed
Thanks again.
Sam

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

Sam,

All of my extensions are in ~/.local and that seems to me to be the right place because they are something each user would want - rather than system wide. A theme change extension is probably something that should be available to all users, but it should only change each users theme - not the theme for all users. Thus the current theme should also be stored in the home folder not in /usr/share. That would seem where we should end up now that you have it working.

Autocrosser, is that how yours work?

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Hi Greg
I wanted all my extensions in .local folder (except the user-theme) mainly because they are easier to access for me, especially when the gnome gets updated then I have to go in and change all the versions in the extensions (unless they change on there own which I can't see).
I am leaving the main theme in the share folder but I need the .theme one so I can fool around with themes and when making one I can test it over and over again easily in the .theme folder, even make the theme inside that folder so I don't have to keep overwritting it but I like to keep one at the last stage that works just in case something goes wrong then I have a backup, as far as other users go, I don't let anyone use this computer but me, the wife has her own and we set up another user group on hers since I do all my coding and artwork on this one, it's just mine :D
So I don't have to worry about other folks using it. If they did then I would set it up a lot different. Plus I back up both in an external hard drive just in case and that hard driver saved mu butt more than once while fooling around with things and borking it to death :lol:
The more accessable it is the better I like it.
One thing I was thinking about is that tweak tool, wouldn't it be nicer if it was more like the appearance layout for the mint?
You could view all the themes, change fonts, backgrounds, windows etc just like the appearance one where it shows small previews etc.
I really liked that appearnce app, just wonder if there is a way to fork it to make a tweak tool out of it, might be something to look into.
That way you would not need the theme selector at all
Just an idea.
Sam

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

If you manually install your extensions (which I prefer right now) they don't get updated with upgrades, you'll have to edit the version number to match the shell version. 3.0 works for now, but when testing in 3.1.3 in Ubuntu the metadata.json had to match exactly. 3.2 is going to have quite a few changes that will likely break at least 50% of the extensions we're using now. :)

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

Sam,

I am pretty sure that theme changing is going to be built into newer versions of Gnome. So whether in Tweak Tool or just in System Setting, it is coming. The extension just needs to work for the moment, until it is redundant. There will be a native weather app as well, so many extensions will just fade away. It is still good to know how they work, no matter what happens in 3.1 and 3.2. It is worth browsing Gnome.org and looking at the plans. I want to write an extension that accesses the weather data from the automatic weather station in a nearby school. I have all the information needed, I just need the time to write the javascript, and I am a very amateur programmer. I think we are all agreed that extensions are the best part of Gnome 3.

:)

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Ya I like the idea of extensions especially when they can be so easily written in java script and using css, its just like building a website app, adding css was one of my favorite parts I liked when I was checking into gnome 3 when it first came out, and java script is pretty simple, although I havent worked with javascript in a couple of years its really not hard. Can't we use the same link to get the weather as the old weather app we used? there was no signing up to get a key number, I should look into that to see what that used.
Im sure the later versions will continue to incorporate a lot of extensions and just merge them into it.
Its fun playing with all this stuff though

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Decided to have a bit of fun and make a new sig tag feel free to use it if you want to.
Sam

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

Nice sig

The Gnome foot part could be used as an icon to replace the word Applications in that extension.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

here ya go
You might have to shrink it down to fit what is needed and change the color to your liking in gimpers.
gnomefoot3.png
gnomefoot3.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 2584 times

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

Sam,

Once it is shrunk down to an icon the 3 is just a dot on the black foot, and when you also have the panel launchers extension it is just one of a row of icons.

Seemed like a good idea, but in practice the word "Applications" is better.

Gotta try these things.

Thanks anyway.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

No problem
when I make themes I have that issue all the time, I usually make the original work double size, when I shrink it down most disapears on me or looks horrible, oh well it was worth a try.
I'm going to try and make a steampunk theme for my first one in gnome 3, hopefully it'll turn out ok.
I'll post it once done.
Sam

victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by victorsk »

Hi all,

Thought I'd throw in this article regarding Gnome 3 I found on OSNews which I think might be relevant to the topic at hand:

http://www.osnews.com/story/25022/Linus ... of_Gnome_3 ... thoughts?

In my Gnome 3 version I had a right-click mouse button disabled. Is that a normal feature or was that an aberration in my Gnome 3 installation?

Thanks,
Victor.

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

Hi victorsk, if you mean no right-btn on the desktop you can enable that by setting file manager to handle desktop with gnome tweak tool. Reminds me a little bit of compiz in that respect, it would display wallpaper & do cool stuff but it disabled that feature.

This isn't LMDE but I'm rather proud of it. Built a Gnome 3.0 only installation using the net install iso & the basic recipe, sure avoids a lot of dependency conflicts & it's the fastest G-S "distro" I've built to date. :)

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

Apparently Linus is too dumb to select "let Nautilus control the desktop", or maybe like most critics he failed to actually look that far. Then again who would want to cover their desktop with shortcuts - that is so Windows 95.

:)

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Just for all the gnome3 themers I started another thread so we don't flood this one with themeing tips and themes we made etc etc including questions (I started it off with one question for using images) I'm still looking for the answer myself.
You can find it here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=78623
Just thought it migh be nice to have a thread just for themeing in gnome3 to keep it separate from the theming for lmde.
Also I did a bit of fooling around with that theme selector extension, I hated how big the images were so I changed the code a bit to make them smaller.
Heres the part of the code to change:

Code: Select all

_gridAllocate: function(container, box, flags) {
        let primary = global.get_primary_monitor();
        // move these to constants
        let gridSpacing = 10;
        let gridPadding = 25;
        let numColumns = 3;
        let numDrop = 40;
I changed the numColums to 4 and changed the gridPadding to 20 instead, it made the images a lot smaller and fit more themes in a space where you could view them all, if you have a lot more themes and they aall don't show in one window and you them to just add more colums to make them smaller.
A wee tip
Sam

Return to “LMDE Archive”