LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GeneC

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 2 july 2011

Post by GeneC »

secipolla wrote:Just an observation regarding libgl1-mesa-glx and the NVIDIA driver.
I don't know exactly what the libgl1-mesa-* packages account for. They seem to me to not be necessary when using the NVIDIA driver and I even suspect that they're not needed even when using the nouveau driver.

I have been trying to understand this Mesa wanting to remove Nvidia myself.
I am running the latest Nvidia driver (275) that the latest Mesa update wanted to remove.

I locked all the mesa related updates =
libgl1-mesa-dev
libgl1-mesa-dri
libgl1-mesa-glx
libgl1-mesa
mesa-common-dev

I proceed with full update.
All updated but xserver-xorg-core which wanted to remove libgl1-mesa-dri.
I locked xserver-xorg-core
Update went fine.
I did a full re-boot
Nvidia still fine.
All video is still fine.

I was also thinking that perhaps Mesa was not needed (Why have two video drivers?), but not sure.

I made a clone of my LMDE partition.
I then unlocked xserver-xorg-core, it again wanted to remove libgl1-mesa-dri.
I decided to experiment and update and let it delete libgl1-mesa-dri.

Full re-boot.
Everything is still fine.
Still can run full screen you-tube 1080i movie trailers.
Frame rate of glxgears is the same (actually a little faster) than before removal of libgl1-mesa-dri.

So it appears that libgl1-mesa-dri is unnecessary.

I proceeded to remove other Mesa packages.
libgl1-mesa-dev and
mesa-common-dev

That went ok.

But
libgl1-mesa-glx and
libglu1-mesa
cannot be removed as they will also remove about half of my desktop and aps. (Too much to list.).

I locked those and everything is ok.

Not sure why all of this is, but it is.

====================================

I could have just not updated at all and waited for a fix, but I am curious, and still learning Linux, and wanted to see what was what. :? :wink:
Would be interested to hear any other thoughts or feedback, as I see a couple of other folks are as well.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

gecko-mediaplayer

A couple of months ago (I think - I would search for the exact date, but according to the forum search function "gecko-mediaplayer" is too common a search term to be used :shock: ) a lot of LMDE users had a problem with this package and I personally pinned it. I noticed today that it was offered as a 'downgrade' in Synaptic so I accepted this then unpinned it, refreshed, and it was instantly offered as an upgrade again. The long and short of this is that it now upgrades without any conflicts, so if you also have it pinned and you want to unpin it, it looks as if this is a good time to do so.

The version I have now is 0.9.9.2-1ubuntu0.10.10.1~mfn2

Sorry if this is old news I have been a bit out of the loop recently.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

clem wrote:Well, it looks like the recent updates are putting our users to the test :) LMDE is great but it's not for everybody :)

Anyway, I thought I'd let you know what's going on at the moment.

- We got a new server in Denver with 1Gbps output and unmetered bandwidth, and we're mirroring the Debian repositories on it at regular intervals (say once a month or so). In the near future, your LMDE system won't point directly to the Debian Testing repositories anymore, but to our own. So it won't be a matter of people getting upgrades as they come along... it will be a matter of them becoming available by packs, on a monthly basis.

- We forked mintupdate and we're writing a Debian version of this tool. We've already successfully removed all the level filtering and we're adding the ability for the tool to detect which "update pack" is installed on your system, which "update pack" is available online, and consequently which warnings and what information you should be aware of.

There's no doubt this is new for everybody and the minute we start using you will come with great ideas for us to improve it... but already, this means that you won't be talking about "some upgrade"... you'll be talking about a particular "update pack" number, and the info you give us, we'll be able to use to warn others, straight from the update manager.

In terms of ETA, it's hard to say, it could be a week or two.

In the meantime, I would recommend to be conservative on the updates you take, especially with Gnome 3 around the corner.
Excellent news and nearly identical to what I've been writing about LMDE when the subject comes up on various forums or reviews when the question of LMDE's (LMDX) future and update problems comes up. It always pays to keep up with the announcements, comments and posts in and around the Mint websites and forums. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
chrisinspace

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 22 june 2011

Post by chrisinspace »

Lewdsquirrel wrote:Hi guys,
like some of you, the latest updates broke my shinny LMDE, because I was using Nvidia proprietary drivers, and was too stupid to notice that the update was going to remove them! Damn.
So after the next reboot, I'm stuck with a black screen asking me to login... :(
I did some research on the Internet and found out that it's still possible to reinstall packages if the ".deb" files are still on the system, even an older version. I also checked the history in Synaptics to know what packages have been upgraded before the breakage.
Here is a list of files and versions you have to "restore"...........That was easy! :wink:
Worked perfect for me! Thank you so much!
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

zerozero wrote:
kruijf wrote: Who can help me whit this?
there's a thread here with some fixes (don't know if you have already looked at it) http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=73108

and a few pages behind Clem posted some notes about flash update http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p435212
don't know if your issue is included in any of these fixes
First of all thanks zerozero for the answer.
But its not a sound problem here, the video on youtube stops playing and go on a litle later. This problem is new for me whit flash, the sound is ok here.
The solution in Clem's post whas not helping also. I think its a problem some where in Flash but where i dont know yet.
Paco

Post by Paco »

Today I reboot the system and found that one of the lasts updates has broken my nvidia driver... After installing lynx and read many posts on this thread...

what about changing "nvidia" for "nouveau" in xorg.conf?
It works for me... after reboot you only have to configurate the resolution of yours screens

Best regards
Paco

Post by Paco »

and youtube works better in fullscreen now... ???
Elderwuss

Post by Elderwuss »

Why is this most recent poison update allowed to remain where new innocents can still apply it? I had just installed the 201101 spin this morning and it's borked before the day is over. I expect messes to occasionally happen, but why was it left for others to walk through?
amina

Post by amina »

Elderwuss wrote:Why is this most recent poison update allowed to remain where new innocents can still apply it?
Maybe I'm wrong but this update comes from Debian repos, not Mint, so I do not think Mint has control over it....
Paco

Post by Paco »

After changing to the nouveau driver I have gui, but not fully functional. Some applications crashes, some have lost configuration...

When is planned to get all the stuff ok again?

I know is a debian task, but i get lost searching for that info... and I know there are lots of smart guys in this forum... ;)

Thanks in advance

(btw, I'm using the liquorix kernel, it's better to stay with it or must I go back to the standard one?)
amina

Post by amina »

Paco, just wondering, but maybe you could try and follow gcp's advice about updating from unstable:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p442855

(make notes on what exactly you updated in case it wouln't work, so that you can downgrade if needed)
Paco

Post by Paco »

I'm going to test it now, thanks for the info...
MadOCer

Post by MadOCer »

Just FYI, I also had severe problems with the nvidia driver after some of the recent updates. Then read about the "trick" of updating to the latest nvidia binary drivers from the unstable repos. Went ahead, completely uninstalled my previous drivers. Temporarily changed the sources.list entry to unstable. Installed the 275.09.07-4 drivers and everything works like a charm again. No problems whatsoever.

Great thread which helps solve these kind of problems pretty quick!
So, anyone with these nvidia driver problems, just do as described here in this very thread and it'll be solved in no time. :wink:
Paco

Post by Paco »

Perhaps I broke something yesterday trying to get the nvidia drivers:

Code: Select all

Procesando disparadores para initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64

cp: cannot stat `/lib/libacl*': No such file or directory 
I'm almost sure the kernel images are ok, as I think I've got this message yesterday too before rebooting the system...
the contents of /boot/

Code: Select all

config-2.6.38-6.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64      System.map-2.6.38-6.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
config-2.6.38-7.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64      System.map-2.6.38-7.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
config-2.6.39-1.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64      System.map-2.6.39-1.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64
config-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64      System.map-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
grub                                      vmlinuz-2.6.38-6.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
initrd.img-2.6.38-6.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64  vmlinuz-2.6.38-7.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
initrd.img-2.6.38-7.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64  vmlinuz-2.6.39-1.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64
initrd.img-2.6.39-1.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64  vmlinuz-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
initrd.img-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
How could I run aptitude without triggering the update-initramfs ?
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

great news, a re-spin of the iso i can't wait
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

@clem

Just to clarify my thinking here regarding:
It will be a new repo. So you'll be using Mint + Debian, or Mint + Debian-Mint :)

So a July 2011 re-spin/snapshot of LMDE will begin this process, so that users with busted systems (like me) can start with a fresh ISO?

Thanks.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

I read in the linux mint blog that a lmde re-spin is slated sometime in july. Hope this includes all LMDE (gnome / xfce).
Paco

Post by Paco »

If there is someone in my situation, there's no need to fix update-initramfs to compile the new module. Although it will fail if it's done from synaptic. So, activate unstable, and "sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx", this will take care of dependencies (i think). After reboot, I can't start xserver because i had modified xorg.conf to substitute nvidia for nouveau. Undo this change and you can "startx".

I'm searching how to fix the other error, I've wrote a separate post for that, because I think it's not directly related to the last update (nobody post about it in this thread).

Best regards.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

clem wrote: - We got a new server in Denver with 1Gbps output and unmetered bandwidth, and we're mirroring the Debian repositories on it at regular intervals (say once a month or so). In the near future, your LMDE system won't point directly to the Debian Testing repositories anymore, but to our own. So it won't be a matter of people getting upgrades as they come along... it will be a matter of them becoming available by packs, on a monthly basis.
they are already here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=185&start=0

i can't thank enough the effort Clem is putting in providing us this great system 8)

p.s. i think we need a little how-to to configure the sources.list

Return to “LMDE Archive”