LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
richslocum
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 12 april 2011

Post by richslocum »

After one of the last two day's updates, my DraftSight cad app is acting weird. When moving the pointer in the apps desktop, the desktop and all drawings on it blink with the movement of the pointer. If the pointer is moved off the apps desktop onto either main computer desktop, another window or another part of the draftsight window (menu bar area) ALL works normally. HELP.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

PLEASE HELP|||||||||

POSTED EARLIER IN THIS THREAD.

I have been updating my LMDE thro Mint Update to level 3 only with no problems until this week. After the recent update my machine froze after the grub menu. The common theme seemed to be Libata.

I have since restored back to my backup of the 19th March. Today I decided to bite the bullit and allow all levels of update which has resulted in strange desktop effects, part of the screen refreshes when running an app and some stays as the original desktop. I am using the system to post this thro empathy but the top line of the page showing the file, edit, view options is dark grey and a system message showing a network error which displays on the desktop and still be seen top right.

The output from lspci is:
$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Any help would be appreciated.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

We are not ignoring you Fornhamfred, I read your post the first time, it is just that (I guess) nobody knows what to do about it, I certainly don't.
Do you have any more recent backups than 19th Mar? (It is not for me to run your pc for you, but personally I back up once per week at least). If you do then try one of those. If you don't then reinstall your 19 Mar backup and update it with level 1-3 only. I have to say that I do not usually recommend levels at all in LMDE I think it is the wrong way to go, but if you have been using them for a long while and then you suddenly introduce levels 4 and 5 you will be picking up updates from a long way back, and although I have no evidence for my belief here, it has always seemed to me that the more updates you have to install, the more likelihood there is of something going wrong. My own schedule is to update every day (all levels) and back up every week and so far I have been lucky enough not to have had any problems directly related to LMDE or its updates and I have never had the cause to use any of my backups yet so I must be doing something right.

I have read on this forum about people who install updates in batches when they have a large number available. Again I have no particular knowledge of this procedure, because I don't need it, but as an example if you think that libata is the cause of your non boot problem then exclude that from the update, do a batch at a time and in between make sure the machine reboots and runs fairly normally. Of course libata may, by dependency. exclude certain other updates as well, you will have to go along with that.

This is not any earth shattering insight into your problem, just "desperation computing" but it sounds as if yours is a fairly desperate situation atm.

Good luck anyway.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks for your reply

I have not backed up since the 19th March but have restored that file and am at the moment working thro the updates 1 - 3 to see if I can isolate where the problem comes from. I will update if I find anything.
maxmir
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 30 mar 2011

Post by maxmir »

oe6tkt wrote:As summary:
I got this message in German language (German installation)
/usr/bin/mint-fortune: Zeile 35: [: ==: Einstelliger (unärer) Operator erwartet.
To retain the fortune, I did these steps:
1.) Changing line 35 with

Code: Select all

sudo nano /usr/bin/mint-fortune
from

if [ $showfortunes == "true" ]; then
to

if [ "$showfortunes" == "true" ]; then
Thank goodness, somebody who knows that they're talking about. So now if showfortunes ain't defined, we'll just end up with an empty string, and the equality test will be happy.

Of course, for those that prefer copying somebody's bad advice just because it happens to give the desired result, then feel free to do so.
gorade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gorade »

DeVeDe distorts sound after some update.
Can't tell when this happened since I don't use DeVeDe daily, but from 11-14-13 at least, I can't convert YouTube files - mainly .flv-files to mplayer. The sound is severely distorted
stottering, scratching like static.

I tried reinstalling DeVeDe, mplayer and mencoder didn't do it. Trying to play it on another, unupdated machin neither helped. So, I infer the problem is in DeVeDe itself.
I found that people had had similar problems after upgrading in Ubuntu 2007 (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 9719.html).

Now the imediate need was met by Linux Mint Julia, (unupgraded for a week) It made a good DVD out of my YouTube films like I could do with LMDE some two weeks ago.

So, something has turned awry during some late upgrad. Sorry that I can't pinpoint when it happened, but I hope there is someone in here with the skills to do it. :)
decalguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by decalguy »

gorade wrote:DeVeDe distorts sound after some update.
Can't tell when this happened since I don't use DeVeDe daily, but from 11-14-13 at least, I can't convert YouTube files - mainly .flv-files to mplayer. The sound is severely distorted
stottering, scratching like static.

I tried reinstalling DeVeDe, mplayer and mencoder didn't do it. Trying to play it on another, unupdated machin neither helped. So, I infer the problem is in DeVeDe itself.
I found that people had had similar problems after upgrading in Ubuntu 2007 (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 9719.html).

Now the imediate need was met by Linux Mint Julia, (unupgraded for a week) It made a good DVD out of my YouTube films like I could do with LMDE some two weeks ago.

So, something has turned awry during some late upgrad. Sorry that I can't pinpoint when it happened, but I hope there is someone in here with the skills to do it. :)

In Devede when you add your file go to Advanced options then the Audio tab make sure there is a check beside "This file already has AC3 sound (copy audio data instead of recompress it)". I think something has changed in ffmpeg but this will fix it.

Mike
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc »

I noticed a problem with OpenShot video editor, version 1.2.2, about 5 or 6 days ago regarding static filled windows and no codecs available. The same problem was encountered by a user of Debian Wheezy with Openshot ver 1.2.2. See this thread in the Openshot forums.

At the time I did nothing to correct the issue. Two days ago Openshot upgrades to version 1.3 were made available and I installed them. This did not resolve the issue.

I believe the problem was caused by either upgrades to melt, libavformat52 or ffmpeg; all which have occurred in the past month.

The solution involved deleting libmlt* files in /usr/lib/,

dawgdoc-lmd@dv6000-laptop-lmd ~ $ ls /usr/lib/*libmlt*
/usr/lib/libmlt.so.0.6.2  /usr/lib/libmlt++.so.0.6.2  /usr/lib/libmlt.so.3  /usr/lib/libmlt++.so.3
then purging Openshot and its dependencies.

dawgdoc-lmd@dv6000-laptop-lmd ~ $ sudo apt-get purge frei0r-plugins openshot melt libmlt3 libmlt++3 libmlt-data python-mlt3
I checked and my Openshot configuration files at ~/.openshot had not been removed so I deleted them. I then reinstalled OpenShot and all is well.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

and aside from my touchpad acting a bit on the "quirky side" at times, my fan often running at high speed AND my laptop will occassionally shut itself for no reason at all...seems like that new kernel has caused all sorts of problems on many of our computers....and different types of problems on different types of computers...not all the same...

hope they get a good fix on that kernel...it's causing an awful lot of breakages... :roll:

meanwhile, i am booting into the previous (trouble free) kernel...wasn't aware that you could do that...someone here (i forgot who) mentioned that you can and i tried it this morning...very easy to select during the boot up...

once a fix comes down, i will return to using the new kernel...

i do have one question, though...does anyone know if it will do any harm to do updates while in an older kernel session? Or do i need to be in the latest kernel i have installed when doing them to prevent any possible problems?
nykur
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 30 mar 2011

Post by nykur »

dawgdoc wrote:Yes, using Archive Manager to look at the components of mintsystem_7l7l5_ii386.deb I see that there is a mint-fortune component located at /usr/bin/mint-fortune of the archive.

When I then go to open the mint-fortune in my installed system, which properties shows as accessed and modified today, lines 33-37 are

if [ -x "/usr/bin/gconftool-2" ]; then
    showfortunes=`gconftool-2 --get /desktop/linuxmint/terminal/show_fortunes 2>/dev/null`
    if [ $showfortunes == "true" ]; then        
        show_fortune
    fi
It will now take someone who understands programming to make the proper recommendation to the Clem and the rest of the Mint dev team.
This one seems to "understand programming": https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/761446 :-)
Solved the issue for me.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Fornhamfred wrote:Thanks for your reply

I have not backed up since the 19th March but have restored that file and am at the moment working thro the updates 1 - 3 to see if I can isolate where the problem comes from. I will update if I find anything.
OK. Having changed the preferences to level 3 on Mint Update I have worked through the packages and found that my initial problem was caused by the openoffice updates from 1:3.3.0-8 to 1:3.3.0-9. I have Libreoffice installed. I have set them as ignored packages and all the updates have been successful.

It seems strange to me that no-one else seems to have had this problem.

Edit: This was a red herring. I have now installed all the level 3 updates. There appears to be a problem with USB after the update. If I leave my USB external drive plugged in then the system goes thro the grub screen but then locks up. If the drive is removed all is well.

I will now try to bring in the level 4 & 5 updates and see what happens
CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CiaW »

Fornhamfred wrote:Thanks for your reply
Edit: This was a red herring. I have now installed all the level 3 updates. There appears to be a problem with USB after the update. If I leave my USB external drive plugged in then the system goes thro the grub screen but then locks up. If the drive is removed all is well.
I will now try to bring in the level 4 & 5 updates and see what happens
If that doesn't take care of the issue, it may be that your system is looking at the usb drive and trying to boot to it, perhaps? One thing you could try is adding the drive to your fstab, see example here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=400351

Or it may be changing the boot order in your bios would fix it, also?
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

Conky Temperature Display.

I have just noticed that since I updated to the 38-2 kernel my conky temperature display shows 0c at all times.
If I boot back into the 32-5 kernel the temperature is displayed correctly.
My .conkyrc code for temperature is:

Temp: ${acpitemp}
lm-sensors is installed and the 'sensors' command gives the correct temperature on both kernels.

Anyone know a workround for that?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

hi viking
i had the same issue when i upgrade my sid install; looking in the crunchbang foruns this works for me atm:

${execi 5 acpi -t | grep "Thermal 0: ok, " | cut -c16-19}C
give it a try :)

[ bliss of ignorance ]
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

zerozero wrote:hi viking
i had the same issue when i upgrade my sid install; looking in the crunchbang foruns this works for me atm:

${execi 5 acpi -t | grep "Thermal 0: ok, " | cut -c16-19}C
give it a try :)
Thanks for that zerozero, but with that code I don't even get a temperature of 0C, all I get is
Temp: C
Including after a reboot. :(
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

sorry, i should've been more helpful, but couldn't find the link :oops:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... re-sensor/

you need to install acpi, and after that

amadeu@inspiron1545-laptop ~ $ acpi -t | grep "Thermal 0: ok, "
Thermal 0: ok, 51.5 degrees C
amadeu@inspiron1545-laptop ~ $ 
now play with the cut command to display the info you want;
i think now will do

[ bliss of ignorance ]
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

zerozero wrote:sorry, i should've been more helpful, but couldn't find the link :oops:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... re-sensor/

you need to install acpi, and after that

amadeu@inspiron1545-laptop ~ $ acpi -t | grep "Thermal 0: ok, "
Thermal 0: ok, 51.5 degrees C
amadeu@inspiron1545-laptop ~ $ 
now play with the cut command to display the info you want;
i think now will do
Thanks very much zerozero - that was what I needed.

You can't help but wonder why that is suddenly necessary though can you?
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

yeahh :shock: back then i also wondered, but found the fix and forgot

[ bliss of ignorance ]
gorade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gorade »

decalguy wrote:
In Devede when you add your file go to Advanced options then the Audio tab make sure there is a check beside "This file already has AC3 sound (copy audio data instead of recompress it)". I think something has changed in ffmpeg but this will fix it.

Mike
Hmm..no, it didn't "The conversion failed. There seems to be an error in mencoder". Tried reinstallation of mencoder anew, but that didn't help. I fear there is something more profound, to say..
decalguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by decalguy »

gorade wrote:
decalguy wrote:

Mike
Hmm..no, it didn't "The conversion failed. There seems to be an error in mencoder". Tried reinstallation of mencoder anew, but that didn't help. I fear there is something more profound, to say..

Ah was just talking about the garbled sound, Devede works fine here with kernel 2.6.38-2-amd64.

Return to “LMDE Archive”