accepting new configs during upgrade

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
retired
Level 1
Level 1

accepting new configs during upgrade

Post by retired »

While doing a dist-upgrade I was asked a few times if I wanted the new config folder or keep the one I had modified. What's the pros and cons of going with the old or new ?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: accepting new configs during upgrade

Post by richyrich »

Did it not also give you the choice of viewing the changes, or comparing the differences of the two files, before the change was accepted? . . . would have helped us to troubleshoot if we knew which files you are talking about ?

retired
Level 1
Level 1

Post by retired »

Choice 'd' which I tried once but it didn't give any info.

wangsuda
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wangsuda »

From experience, I've accepted all updates #1-5 and allowed all config files to be changed. I've had no problems with LMDE on an Acer Aspire 4730Z. I also don;t do any customizing of config files either (except for the bottom dock).
"I like my software rough." - Brett Larson, ICT instructor
Registered Linux User #487360

jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jeffreyC »

I have seen a post on a forum where someone allowed his sudoers file to be changed and found himself no longer able to become root.
Get Dropbox and an extra 250 mb http://db.tt/wAizqw0

CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CiaW »

One time I asked to compare the difference and I wasn't sure about the changes, but I figured it probably would be best to go with the package maintainer's version (i.e. the new one). To be on the safe side, so I could revert back if I wanted or needed to, I opened a terminal window and (as root) I cp'd the files in question to a backup directory with the same file name, appended with _orig so I'd know what they were later.

I later looked at the /etc directory and discovered that dpkg will automatically make a copy of the original file and give it the same name ending in dpkg-old, such as:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6332 Apr 23 21:53 ca-certificates.conf.dpkg-old

Therefore, if you need to revert a change back to the old config file, it's there for you to rename if you want. Discovering that removes a lot of stress from the decision! I also generally make copies of config files I customize (such as fstab) into a config directory I set up on a shared data partition. They come in handy now & then!

Return to “LMDE Archive”