We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Post by AlbertP »

kaizer, please check which / partition is correct and remove the other one. And the proc line you need is the second one.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
kaizer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kaizer »

AlbertP wrote:kaizer, please check which / partition is correct and remove the other one. And the proc line you need is the second one.
actually the fstab I quoted is not mine but the one discussed earlier in the topic (discussion between wyrdoak and SimonTS) and I was just curious to understand how that config file could work with 2 referencse to a "/" mount point
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

In that case, it uses one of the two and ignores the other one. Not sure which one is used. Perhaps an error will appear in the log.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Helmsdeeper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Helmsdeeper »

I currently have my toshiba laptop and acer netbook running lmde, just updated the laptop to pack 2 with no issues to report. I'll do the netbook in a few minutes and see how it goes.

*update- no issues with pack 2 on the netbook either.....good stuff ;)
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xircon »

Noooo! Doom3 doesn't run anymore :( I was nearly three quarters of the way through.
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Dar-es-Salaam wrote:Hi All

I switched to incoming repro the other day and all went fine. However today I did an update and during the instalation this message appeared

Installation finished. No error reported.
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partitionless disk or to a partition. This is a BAD idea..

/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..

Installation finished. No error reported.

It also downloaded a whole lot of openoffice

I have not done anything different than I would normally do. By the way I use aptitude to do all my updates. I hope I have posted this in the right place, I am not sure
On the grub warning. Usually that warning will occur if you have more than one Linux distro loaded onto your hard drive (called "multi-booting") and LMDE's boot loader (grub) installed in LMDE's root directory rather than the MBR (Main Boot Record) of your hard drive. If that sounds rather confusing don't worry. Take my case for example. I have 3 different Linux distros installed into 3 different partitions of my hard drive. Two of those distros are Linux Mint 11 and LMDE. Now, the grub2 boot loader from Linux Mint 11 is installed into the MBR of my hard drive and that's the one I used to boot into one of the 3 distros I have installed. Since only one boot loader can be installed into the MBR at a time, I have LMDE's boot loader installed in LMDE's "root" partition. And yes, normally this is a bad idea if LMDE was the only operating system existing on your hard drive but in a multi-boot situation it's perfectly acceptable.

Hope that helps some.

I guess the next question would be...do you have a multi-boot setup on your computer involving more than one Linux distro?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Did the update to package 2 all went well ecept I got a couple of errors.
Here they be
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing binfmt-support (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of jarwrapper:
jarwrapper depends on binfmt-support; however:
Package binfmt-support is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing jarwrapper (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
binfmt-support
jarwrapper
Looks like I have to configure the binfmt-support, I check the software manager for both binfmt-support and jarwrapper both are installed but I don't have a clue how to configure the binfmt-support, other then that all went well on reboot and eclipse loads if that was to be effected it didn't effect it.
Not a pro in this but I saved the log this time :D
Anyone know anything about this?
Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus
SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

@Wyrdoak...

Just come back onto this thread and seen the exchange between AlbertP and Kaizer has made me go back and check something in the /etc/fstab file you have now got.
What is on your sda3 partition? At the moment it is set to mount as / - which shouldn't work as you already have sda1 mounted as / by that point in time. I missed this before, but it is worth clarifying - your system has sda1 as the Mint install, sda2 as an extended partition containing sda5 which is your swap partition and then there is sda3 (EXT4) which I'm confused about.
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak »

SimonTS,
sda1= Mint 10
sda2= Extended
sda3=LMDE
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
15GB RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-19.3: LMDE)
SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

In which case you should delete the following two lines from the /etc/fstab;-
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=385ecae6-bd34-41c3-a524-974b8cd6d17f / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak »

OK, I made the change and rebooted. Only thing I could note different is now I can see my Mint 10 partition as "101 File System" in "Places", which I couldn't see before.

But could always access my LMDE file system from Mint10.

EDIT: wasn't showing before: /dev/sda1/media/(@#$#$$##$not going to try to type the UUID number :) ext4
ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ukbrian »

@wyrdoak
sudo blkid
and then copy/paste it, no typos then :D
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak »

You think copy and paste is the thing that will keep me from a type'o.lol For me sometimes I think it pastes backwards.
/dev/sda3: UUID="496d31b8-39f3-42c8-9265-742373c0d2e6" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda5: UUID="eb5fb1ea-b4c3-4f9c-9a9c-a01c7a3d9a5e" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda1: UUID="1140b737-c1d0-4491-a560-cce25fe10ee3" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="FreeAgent Drive" UUID="F08ED84B8ED80C4A" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="Books" UUID="4E48E75448E738FB" TYPE="ntfs"

But anyway after the fstab change sdb1 reads in LMDE as a media like sdb1 and sdc1, but with a format type of ext4.

I'm guessing the reason to remove it was to reduce the confusion of anything else that might be installed in the future.
mockturtl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mockturtl »

I'd been using debian testing, and the transition to mint incoming went smoothly. 0 packages to install, "Your system is up to date." Punching the install button ratchets the "Current update pack" counter to 2, as expected. :)
SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

@Wyrdoak...
Yes, that line being in there caused no benefit at all and would, possibly, cause a problem - if not now then down the line. I don't know enough to know exactly what it might do, but I wouldn't have been comfortable leaving it in there. You've already seen that it caused the partition to be handled incorrectly when you tried to access it so that is enough proof to me that removing the line is the correct thing to do.
Dar-es-Salaam
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi kmb42vt

Thanks for that. No I only have LMDE installed and my hard drive has only got two partitions on it one is / format to ext4 the other is a swap file as far as I know that is also ext4. :D
Cheers
Gordon :D

O/S. LMDE , Motherboard Asus A7N8X Delux , CPU AMD XP1500+ (1300Mhz) (overclocked running at 1866Mhz), Graphics Card GeForce Nvidia PNY 6200 (512 Meg), 2 40gig hard drives, 1 gig RAM
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

samriggs,
I had a similar issue updating to package 2, but the error messages are much more extended...

Code: Select all

facility `$all' which can not be true!

insserv:  loop involving service bootlogd at depth 4

insserv:  loop involving service samba at depth 12

insserv: Starting pcloudd_init_start depends on plymouth and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!

insserv: Starting pcloudd_init_start depends on plymouth and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!

insserv: There is a loop between service pcloudd_init and ifupdown-clean if started

insserv:  loop involving service networking at depth 10

insserv: There is a loop between service plymouth and bootlogd if started

insserv: There is a loop between service pcloudd_init and mountall-bootclean if started

insserv:  loop involving service mountall-bootclean at depth 1

insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!

dpkg: erro ao processar udev (--configure):

subprocesso script post-installation instalado retornou erro do status de saída 1

A instalar exim4-base (4.76-2) ...

insserv: warning: script 'S99pcloudd_init' missing LSB tags and overrides

insserv: warning: script 'pcloudd_init_start' missing LSB tags and overrides

insserv: warning: script 'pcloudd_init' missing LSB tags and overrides

insserv: script pcloudd_init: service pcloudd_init already provided!

insserv: There is a loop at service pcloudd_init if started

insserv: There is a loop between service plymouth and checkroot if started

insserv:  loop involving service checkroot at depth 3

insserv:  loop involving service keyboard-setup at depth 2

insserv:  loop involving service hwclock at depth 6

insserv:  loop involving service hostname at depth 4

insserv: There is a loop between service plymouth and mountnfs if started

insserv:  loop involving service mountnfs at depth 10

insserv:  loop involving service portmap at depth 9

insserv: There is a loop between service plymouth and ifupdown if started

insserv:  loop involving service ifupdown at depth 7

insserv:  loop involving service ifupdown-clean at depth 6

insserv:  loop involving service mountnfs-bootclean at depth 12

insserv: There is a loop between service plymouth and mountall if started

insserv:  loop involving service mountall at depth 8

insserv:  loop involving service checkfs at depth 7

insserv:  loop involving service mtab at depth 6

insserv:  loop involving service module-init-tools at depth 6

insserv: There is a loop between service pcloudd_init and mountdevsubfs if started

insserv:  loop involving service mountdevsubfs at depth 2

insserv:  loop involving service udev at depth 1

insserv: There is a loop at service plymouth if started

insserv: Max recursions depth 99 reached

insserv:  loop involving service vboxweb-service at depth 1

insserv:  loop involving service bootlogd at depth 4

insserv:  loop involving service samba at depth 12

insserv: There is a loop between service pcloudd_init and ifupdown-clean if started

insserv:  loop involving service networking at depth 10

insserv: There is a loop between service plymouth and bootlogd if started

insserv: There is a loop between service pcloudd_init and mountall-bootclean if started

insserv:  loop involving service mountall-bootclean at depth 1

insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!

dpkg: erro ao processar exim4-base (--configure):

subprocesso script post-installation instalado retornou erro do status de saída 1

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de avahi-daemon:

avahi-daemon depende de dbus (>= 0.60); no entanto:

O pacote dbus ainda não está configurado.

dpkg: erro ao processar avahi-daemon (--configure):

problemas com dependências - a deixar por configurar

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de pulseaudio:

pulseaudio depende de udev (>= 143); no entanto:

O pacote udev ainda não está configurado.

dpkg: erro ao processar pulseaudio (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de upower:

upower depende de udev; no entanto:

upower depende de dbus; no entanto:

O pacote dbus ainda não está configurado.

dpkg: erro ao processar upower (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de libsane:

libsane depende de udev (>= 0.88-1) | makedev (>= 2.3.1-58); no entanto:

O pacote makedev não está instalado.

dpkg: erro ao processar libsane (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de pulseaudio-module-x11:

pulseaudio-module-x11 depende de pulseaudio; no entanto:

O pacote pulseaudio ainda não está configurado.

dpkg: erro ao processar pulseaudio-module-x11 (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de pulseaudio-module-gconf:

pulseaudio-module-gconf depende de pulseaudio; no entanto:

dpkg: erro ao processar pulseaudio-module-gconf (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de xserver-xorg-core:

xserver-xorg-core depende de udev (>= 149); no entanto:

dpkg: erro ao processar xserver-xorg-core (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de exim4-daemon-light:

exim4-daemon-light depende de exim4-base (>= 4.76); no entanto:

O pacote exim4-base ainda não está configurado.

dpkg: erro ao processar exim4-daemon-light (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de xserver-xorg-input-synaptics:

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics depende de xorg-input-abi-12; no entanto:

O pacote xorg-input-abi-12 não está instalado.

O pacote xserver-xorg-core que disponibiliza xorg-input-abi-12 ainda não está configurado.

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics depende de xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.9.99.903); no entanto:

O pacote xserver-xorg-core ainda não está configurado.

dpkg: erro ao processar xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de python-imaging-sane:

python-imaging-sane depende de libsane (>= 1.0.11-3); no entanto:

O pacote libsane ainda não está configurado.

dpkg: erro ao processar python-imaging-sane (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de pulseaudio-module-zeroconf:

pulseaudio-module-zeroconf depende de pulseaudio; no entanto:

dpkg: erro ao processar pulseaudio-module-zeroconf (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de pulseaudio-esound-compat:

pulseaudio-esound-compat depende de pulseaudio; no entanto:

dpkg: erro ao processar pulseaudio-esound-compat (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de hplip:

hplip depende de libsane (>= 1.0.11-3); no entanto:

dpkg: erro ao processar hplip (--configure):

dpkg: problemas com dependências impedem a configuração de sane-utils:

sane-utils depende de libsane (>= 1.0.11-3); no entanto:

dpkg: erro ao processar sane-utils (--configure):

A processar 'triggers' para initramfs-tools ...

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.39-3.dmz.2-liquorix-686

Foram encontrados erros enquanto processava:

binfmt-support

dbus

udisks

at

dbus-x11

hplip-gui

udev

exim4-base

avahi-daemon

pulseaudio

upower

libsane

pulseaudio-module-x11

pulseaudio-module-gconf

xserver-xorg-core

exim4-daemon-light

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

python-imaging-sane

pulseaudio-module-zeroconf

pulseaudio-esound-compat

hplip

sane-utils

lleiria@pc-principal ~ $ 
Some messages are in portuguese, sorry! ;-)

I don'y have any clues, apparently I must configure a lot of things...
But the system is running well.

I have LMDE 32 bits, liquorix kernel, desktop computer with intel core 2 duo processor, 3 GB ram, Intel graphic card.
Help, anyone?
JeffShepherd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JeffShepherd »

Pack 2 installed and all went well. Nvidia also installed now and is working well.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Dar-es-Salaam wrote:Hi kmb42vt

Thanks for that. No I only have LMDE installed and my hard drive has only got two partitions on it one is / format to ext4 the other is a swap file as far as I know that is also ext4. :D
Hmmm, then it sounds like you may have unknowingly installed grub2 into the root partition of your LMDE install rather than the MBR of your hard drive then. What the heck. As long as it works at this point in the game. You might actually want to consider backing up your data and doing a clean install when the new LMDE "respin" is finally released. I plan to anyway.

And just so you know, the "swap" partition is set up as "ext2" by default.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

I have a question on the debian repo's.....to which repo should I be pointing to: ftp.debian.org or debian.linuxmint.com.....the reaso I ask is because I clicked on the button that update-pack info and it says the two conflict with each other.....so I'm guessing this is why update-pack 1 & 2 are being installed.....any info would be greatly appreciated......thanks.

Cheers
Andrew

Return to “LMDE Archive”