[Solved] Downloads folder doesn't want to go away!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nimbvs
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Downloads folder doesn't want to go away!

Post by nimbvs »

Hi.

I delete the "Downloads" (with uppercase D) folder in my home directory, and after I login, it's still there. :shock:

Something is automatically creating it upon login, but what?! :? I didn't change anything in the default GNOME 2.24 configuration that comes with Mint LMDE.

How can I delete the "Downloads" folder for good?
Last edited by nimbvs on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Downloads folder doesn't want to go away!

Post by karashata »

I'm not 100% certain about this, but, you may have some luck getting it to go away and stay away if you remove the xdg-user-dirs package. I believe that package is responsible for maintaining the well-known user directories such as Downloads, Documents, Music, etc, removing it should allow you to permanently remove the Downloads directory, provided it isn't being created by another application you use that stores downloaded files there.

I'm not sure if removing that package will break anything, so do be cautious...
Linux Mint user since 2010, fluffy dragon forever!
Registered Linux User #473695

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

It may be your browser creating it. Change the default folder where the downloads go to in the browser preferences.

SciFiDude79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SciFiDude79 »

It's either the browser or the system creating it. I'm not entirely sure, but it's probably be part of the base system and a "required" folder.

Edit: Nope, scratch that, it's not the system. I just deleted mine, logged out and back in and it was still deleted, rebooted and it was still deleted. It's most likely your browser creating it.

nimbvs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nimbvs »

Hi all.

Thank you for all the answers. I tracked it down to xdg-user-dirs. That was creating the Downloads folder everytime I logged in.

I solved it by editing ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs and configuring another directory for XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR.

Return to “LMDE Archive”