Hunting for a mount-gtk deb

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Hunting for a mount-gtk deb

Post by roger64 »

Hi

I am experimenting with light desktop environments like Openbox. One of their drawbacks is dealing with mounted volumes, mainly with USB.

My file manager is PCManFM which works well. I complemented it by installing halevt and pmount but still, the results are not enough. While using PartedMagic, I realized that mount-gtk, a front-end for pmount, is very handy. The sources are available here: http://mount-gtk.sourceforge.net/

However, I totally failed to compile it or more exactly to get all the needed dependencies. I found an Ubuntu deb (thru removed) but did not succeed too to get it.

So, my question now is : is there somewhere a true Debian mount-gtk 32 bits deb? Could a generous soul produce one?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dyfi

Re: Hunting for a mount-gtk deb

Post by Dyfi »

I am using "gigolo" with an Xfce desktop. It has a simple GUI which will connect USBs. It can be found with Synaptic in the repos. Hope this may help you.

Dyfi.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Dyfi wrote:I am using "gigolo" with an Xfce desktop. It has a simple GUI which will connect USBs. It can be found with Synaptic in the repos. Hope this may help you.

Dyfi.
@Dyfi

Thanks but gigolo looks very useful for network protocols but does not do what I need. I need a more basic tool. I found Palimpsest (gnome-disk-utility) which can mount and stop USB devices and mount other partitions. A little heavy (it's not its main use) but it does the job. I leave this thread open, who knows...
viking777

Post by viking777 »

roger64 wrote:Hi

I am experimenting with light desktop environments like Openbox. One of their drawbacks is dealing with mounted volumes, mainly with USB.

My file manager is PCManFM which works well. I complemented it by installing halevt and pmount but still, the results are not enough. While using PartedMagic, I realized that mount-gtk, a front-end for pmount, is very handy. The sources are available here: http://mount-gtk.sourceforge.net/

However, I totally failed to compile it or more exactly to get all the needed dependencies. I found an Ubuntu deb (thru removed) but did not succeed too to get it.

So, my question now is : is there somewhere a true Debian mount-gtk 32 bits deb? Could a generous soul produce one?
Like yourself, I like mount-gtk and I have been working on a way of getting it going in LMDE (mine is 64 bit, but it doesn't matter). For your edification I reveal the secret here. It works, but you probably need to be certifiably insane to try and follow it :o .

1) Open Synaptic package manager and install the following packages: pmount, libglib2.0-dev, libgtk-3-dev. This will install a lot of other junk along with it but I don't know a way around this.

2)

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 4755 pmount
3)

sudo chmod 4755 pumount
You don't have to carry out these two steps, but if you don't then mount-gtk will have to be run with sudo every time you launch it.

4) Visit http://mount-gtk.sourceforge.net

5) Download the latest version of mount-gtk.

6) Find the link to c++-gtk-utils and download this.

7) Go to your download folder and extract the c++-gtk-utils tarball.

8] Open a terminal cd to the folder you have extracted gtk-utils to and run

./configure && make && sudo make install
9) Go to your Download folder and extract the downloaded mount-gtk tarball.

10) Open a terminal cd to the folder you have extracted mount-gtk to and run

./configure && make && sudo make install
11) Alt/f2 to get a run dialog and type

mount-gtk
press enter and it should launch, then add the usb devices that you want it to be able to mount.

12) If after the install is complete you get an error about a missing file called libcxx-gtk-utils-1.3.so.2 (which I did) then it is not missing, it is just in the wrong place, so copy it from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib.

The developers of this program should be ashamed of themselves that they have made this simple and useful program so difficult to install, it is like turning the clock back about 10 years when everything was like this - it has taken me hours of trial and error to work this out :cry:
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

@viking777

Thanks very much for your explanations. I feel compelled to try. You'll find with me a good willing pupil with few gifts.. :D .

I tried to compile the first item. I can't fulfill the " Library requirements (gtk+-3.0 >= 2.90.0) not met;" and stopped right here. I could not install previously the libgtk-3-dev software because of some dependency hell (not yet in incoming...). Really seems like an overkill for me for such a tiny stuff.

roger@roger-laptop ~ $ cd /home/roger/Bureau/c++-gtk-utils-2.0.0-rc5/
roger@roger-laptop ~/Bureau/c++-gtk-utils-2.0.0-rc5 $ ./configure && make && sudo make install
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
.../...
checking GLIB_LIBS... -lglib-2.0  
checking for gtk+-3.0 >= 2.90.0... no
configure: error: Library requirements (gtk+-3.0 >= 2.90.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

sumski

Post by sumski »

@roger64

http://mount-gtk.sourceforge.net/ChangeLog

you can pass
-with-gtk-version=gtk2 or -with-gtk-version=gtk3 argument in ./configure - you don't need to use gtk3

EDIT:
apologies - i didn't see you where trying to compile gtk-utils :oops: - but:
NOTE: In c++-gtk-utils-1.2.14 and c++-gtk-utils-2.0.0-rc5, './configure' will now prepare the library for compilation against GTK+3. To compile the library against GTK+2, use './configure-gtk2'.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

@sumski

I tried this. Meeting stubborn resistance. :D

roger@roger-laptop ~ $ cd /home/roger/Bureau/c++-gtk-utils-2.0.0-rc5/
roger@roger-laptop ~/Bureau/c++-gtk-utils-2.0.0-rc5 $ ./configure-gtk2
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
.../...
checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.10.0... yes
checking GLIB_CFLAGS... -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include  
checking GLIB_LIBS... -lglib-2.0  
checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 2.10.0... no
configure-gtk2: error: Library requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.10.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
roger@roger-laptop ~/Bureau/c++-gtk-utils-2.0.0-rc5 $ 
viking777

Post by viking777 »

roger64 wrote:@viking777

Thanks very much for your explanations. I feel compelled to try. You'll find with me a good willing pupil with few gifts.. :D .

I tried to compile the first item. I can't fulfill the " Library requirements (gtk+-3.0 >= 2.90.0) not met;" and stopped right here. I could not install previously the libgtk-3-dev software because of some dependency hell (not yet in incoming...). Really seems like an overkill for me for such a tiny stuff.
Sure enough, if you can't complete step 1 then you are not going to get much further with the rest of it :lol:

Don't know why you can't complete step 1 though. I am using 'incoming' as well and libgtk-3-dev came straight out of the synaptic package manager (along with a lot of other cruft grant you) but it installed with no assistance from me so I don't know why it wont for you.

You are right though, it is a very complicated routine for such a small program and btw I should tell you right now that Patrick Verner is CONSIDERABLY brighter than I am, and the way he implements mount-gtk in Pmagic is unique to that distro, it is not how it works when installed anywhere else. (I refer to the continual updating of plugged/removed devices) so you would probably be disappointed with how it works even if you did get it installed. You have to tell it the device address (dev/sdd1 for example) of any device before it will mount it for you, it is by no means an automatic process as in PMagic. The trouble with this is that you don't always know that information without looking for it and it doesn't always remain the same. I did once find a post where Mr. Verner explained how he made his mount-gtk 'magic' happen. I can't find it now, but it is out there somewhere. Suffice to say I couldn't even understand his explanation let alone implement it :( .

I did this install for myself because I hate to be beaten by a machine (though I frequently am) but in reality I don't use the program that much, I just replace the fairly useless Nautilus with Dolphin and that manages usb mount/unmount perfectly. I see you are using PCManFm, I don't know how well that does the job as I haven't used it in a while. Incidentally, you don't have to use KDE to run Dolphin btw it works anywhere, although naturally it needs a few KDE libs to work but it is the best file manager around at the moment imho.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

@viking777

Yes the use of mount-gtk in PartedMagic is quite fine. I looked for some explanations and found this. However he says the way he uses it is convenient for a live CD but it probably would not be so for, say, Debian because it checks mkfstab every 10 seconds.

Dolphin is too greedy as far as dependencies are concerned (for a light desktop environment user).

Il est nécessaire de prendre 87,3 Mo dans les archives.
Après cette opération, 224 Mo d'espace disque supplémentaires seront utilisés.
about libgtk-3-dev failure to install

roger@roger-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev
[sudo] password for roger: 
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances       
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Certains paquets ne peuvent être installés. Ceci peut signifier
que vous avez demandé l'impossible, ou bien, si vous utilisez
la distribution unstable, que certains paquets n'ont pas encore
été créés ou ne sont pas sortis d'Incoming.
L'information suivante devrait vous aider à résoudre la situation : 

Les paquets suivants contiennent des dépendances non satisfaites :
 libgtk-3-dev : Dépend: libpango1.0-dev (>= 1.24) mais ne sera pas installé
                Dépend: libcairo2-dev (>= 1.9.10) mais ne sera pas installé
E: Paquets défectueux
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I looked for some explanations and found this
That was the post I read yes, I knew there was a reason I didn't pursue it further.

As to
vous avez demandé l'impossible
Your package manager is lying to you, I have both of those packages installed from a standard set of sources. Still given what Patrick Verner said, it probably isn't worth going to the trouble of finding out why it works for me but not you.

Edit. Although I am on a 64bit system and you are not so maybe that is the difference who knows?

Return to “LMDE Archive”