Gnome shell on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Gnome shell on LMDE

Post by Pythzor »

I'd like to try out gnome 3 shell on LMDE. The computer I'm using is the one in my signature. Is there any reason why I may not want to do that?

NOTE: I had a different computer, then.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
Gerd50

Re: Gnome shell on LMDE

Post by Gerd50 »

Short question, short answer - No :)
whirly

Post by whirly »

secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Don't be sadistic, whirly (that thread is from the time GNOME3 was still in experimental).
You shouldn't have problems, from what I read (I use sid, but with Xfce). But I don't know what changing to Debian testing does to Mint's own apps. I.e., I had mintinstall here, but for an unknown reason to me (could be because of different python versions, because it wasn't cleanly ported to Debian from Ubuntu or for something completely different...), while it worked very well (and I like it), it kept filling my .xsession-errors file with errors.
Anyway, I suppose that as soon as the KDE edition is out, the Debian/Xfce editions should be worked on (and the update packs for the people that have them already).
whirly

Post by whirly »

@secipolla
you're right
most everything will break sooner or later
you'll end up with a strange sid hybrid version that your system monitors are confused about

you'll be happier if you wait for clem and the crew to give us a nice update pack
and when they do i probably won't be able to use it
i sort of thought you might come to that conclusion if you read that thread.
i am playing with a frankenstein machine and couldn't even point you to proper sources
so longer answer
still no
or at least not recommended
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

whirly,
as long as you point your lmde to testing

Code: Select all

Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main import backport romeo upstream
           deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main import backport romeo upstream #Added by software-properties
           deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
solve the pin priority (recommended action imho), dist-upgrade (and pick a book to read in the meantime :lol: ) you get gnnome-shell in lmde

Code: Select all

amadeu@amadeu:~$ gnome-shell --version
GNOME Shell 3.0.2
but as you see is the 3.0 v., not the fancy, shiny 3.2 available in mint12 where you can add mgse and cinnamon (here those posh things :mrgreen: don't work - yet)

now, do you gonna have regressions/breakages with this upgrade?
- well, maybe yes, as secipolla said mintinstall apparently is not working (i don't use it, so can't tell), you are going to loose mintmenu (obviously, doesn't work in gtk3), you loose dropbox (but there's an easy fix for that one), you loose open-as-adminst (debian couldn't be bothered to port that extension to gtk3)
but you get gnome-shell 8)
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

No no, mintinstall (Software Manager) was working fine, but also filling ~/.xsession-errors with error messages.
I think sid has gnome-shell 3.2.1 for some time already and when it goes to wheezy then the Mint team can prepare the update-pack.
whirly

Post by whirly »

i see what your saying
but
i got all that and a bag of chips
mgse
shell 3.2.1-8
tweak tool
kernel 3.1
the pretty welcome screen started working again a week ago, and green check comes and goes from a autohide bottom panel i have no way to config
don't use dropbox
not really knowledgeable enough to say how i got it this far
e pur si muove
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

zerozero wrote:solve the pin priority (recommended action imho)
Thank you so much for the quality feedback. At this point, I'd be remiss not to try it out. I'm good to go.

But what about the pin priority. What do I do there?

Thank you.
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi,
if you decide to stay with latest/incoming, you better do nothing;
it's only important if you somehow change to testing/sid/stable [insert here any other combination that is not the vanilla LMDE]
Gene gave here an example of the change.

Return to “LMDE Archive”