LibreOffice error message about incompatibility

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
livram79

LibreOffice error message about incompatibility

Post by livram79 »

I created a powerpoint presentation with LibreOffice Impress and saved it as .ppt. When I try to open it an error message pops up. Please see attachment.
Isn't this a bug?

I was able to open it before.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: LibreOffice error message about incompatibility

Post by proxima_centauri »

Was the file local to begin with? Did you go saving between LibreOffice and Microsoft Office?
Can you reproduce the behaviour with new .ppt created in Libreoffice?
livram79

Post by livram79 »

proxima_centauri wrote:Was the file local to begin with? Did you go saving between LibreOffice and Microsoft Office?
Can you reproduce the behaviour with new .ppt created in Libreoffice?
I did Not use Microsoft Office at all. The file was created with LibreOffice Impress on my computer (saved as .ppt) and I cannot open it now. I was able to open it before I added a few more pictures to it. It is very strange. That makes me believe it is a bug.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Can you reproduce the error following the same steps?
italovignoli

Post by italovignoli »

You should never use PPT (or DOC, or XLS) to save your documents, because it is not a native format, and - in addition - is not a standard, open, documented and easy to reproduce format. You should always use ODP to save the documents, and PPT - if necessary - to share them with MS Office users (prior to MS Office 2007 and 2010, as these software can read ODP). ODP is a standard, open, documented and easy to reproduce format, based on XML (which means that you will never lose your contents even if the file gets corrupted). Unfortunately, the PPT - being not standard, etcetera - does not allow to understand what has happened.

When you save using a non standard MS Office format, you see a Windows that tells you "you might lose some features...". This window it is not there just to add another window, but because there are real risks while using that format.
livram79

Post by livram79 »

italovignoli wrote:You should never use PPT (or DOC, or XLS) to save your documents, because it is not a native format, and - in addition - is not a standard, open, documented and easy to reproduce format. You should always use ODP to save the documents, and PPT - if necessary - to share them with MS Office users (prior to MS Office 2007 and 2010, as these software can read ODP). ODP is a standard, open, documented and easy to reproduce format, based on XML (which means that you will never lose your contents even if the file gets corrupted).
Thank you for advice.
Arran

Post by Arran »

Italovignoli's comment is basically correct, but the real method is: save your documents (in all LibreOffice modules) first as a native LibreOffice file:
Writer = *.odt, Calc = *.ods, Impress = odp, Draw = odg (but Inkscape is the much better program for Vector graphics). I never used the Base and Math modules. Please dont use either Writer nor Impress for any desktop-publication jobs, Scribus is again much better suited for those jobs.

Return to “LMDE Archive”