Assistance on Update Pack 3

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
merryoakparker
Level 2
Level 2

Assistance on Update Pack 3

Post by merryoakparker »

Assistance would be appreciated. I really like Linux Mint and the rolling distro concept, but the Update Pack 3 is totally unintelligable to me. Is there an idiot's tutorial or can someone walk me through this update pack. I'm lost from the beginning to the end beginning with the system configutation through the apt sources list. Where do I go and what do I do??

I've installed and run other Linux distros (including the "main" Linux Mint ones), but I've tried both the LMDE and Xfce and run into the same roadblocks on both. My computer has 1500 of RAM and a 320 Gig HDD and a Athlon chip. Right now I've got Xfce up and running, but have no problem removing it and re-installing LMDE (but the Update Pack 3 problems appear to be the same with either distro).

I've some other relative minor problems, but need to get past the Update Pack 3 before I tackle them.

If Clem and the guys are going to put out a 2012 complete update soon, I can re-install Windows XP to hold me until then.

Thanks for any assistance.
hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Assistance on Update Pack 3

Post by hellfire695 »

well what are an example of some of the issues you have been having?
update packs are really just that a set of updates, no different then when you first linux mint main or any distro.
as for the sources list it look like this

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free

deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
deb-src http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
merryoakparker
Level 2
Level 2

Post by merryoakparker »

Hellfire 695 and others,
I appreciate the help, but I'm afraid y'all credit me with knowledge I don't have. Apparently I failed in my attempt to convey my ignorance of what I'm doing. All y'all please bear with me. I've run both Debian and am currently running Xfce with the same problems. I'm really trying to become at least semi-literate here. For me this is a learning experience.
1) Xfce is installed and running and connect to the net via my wireless LAN.
2) I've got the blue icon with the exclamation mark within it indicating that "381 recommended yupdates are available."
3)I've entered my password and started the update manager.
4) On the update manager page I've left clicked on "install updates."
5) I now have a box that says that "This upgrade will trigger additional changes>'
The following 2 packages will be removed
libntsf-3g75
libntsf-3g804
(whatever those mean)

The following 50 packages will be installed (I won't list them).
6) I clicked "OK."
7) After I get through the "changelogs" box, I get a box which tells me that "An Error Has Occurred" and lists the following which I do not understand "E: /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10plugins-bad 0.10.22-3_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/gstreamer-010/libgst-0.10/libgstxvid.so'. which is also in package gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad 0.10.22-0.1

8) So I "close" that box and another one appears which says "Update is complete" Not all changes and updates succeeded. For further details of the failure, please expand the 'Details" panel below. (Those details appear in a "teerminal" box below which begins with "Processing triggers for python support...Errors were encountered while processing" and all sorts of "gobblygook" is listed but the terminal's last line is "processing triggers for menu ..."

So I close that window and get back to the initial Linux Mint page where the blue icone with the white exclaimation point reappears indicating 369 updates are available.

10) Now I'm back to the update manager page and left click install

AND AM BACK TO THE BOX WHICH SAYS "THIS UPGRADE WILL TRIGGER ADDTITONAL CHANGES" and lists the same changes.

At this point we re-enter the same cycle with the "An Error Occurred" box. I've still got the blue icon with the white exclaimation mark and 369 updates available.

I've never had this type of problem with previous versions of Mint. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?? Please help.

Thanks.

Merryoakparker
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC »

Merry

Try this.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 32#p492615

(courtsery of our own "zerozero") :D
after updating, with the terminal, with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
run this

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_i386.deb
merryoakparker
Level 2
Level 2

Post by merryoakparker »

Gene,
Now you are going to find out how little i do know. Rather than screw up, I gather that I add the sudo commands you list in the terminal box I referred to in my post #6 where you put the smilie icon rather than open a new terminal box, correct?

What does CODE: SELECT ALL refer to???

Finally (for this post) to what does the following refer or is it a part of your signature?
AMD Phenom2x4 3.2 ghz, ASUS M4A88TD-M, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 460
1. LMDE-XFCE-"SID"
2. LMDE-Gnome3.2 Shell/Cin.-"SID"
3. LMDE-Gnome2.3-"Stable-Debian Backports"
(all-64bit-nvidia295-liquorix 3.2)
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC »

Hi Merry
I gather that I add the sudo commands you list in the terminal box I referred to in my post #6 where you put the smilie icon rather than open a new terminal box, correct?
It doesn't matter, either after running upgrade (which I take you already have done) or in a new terminal window.
(YOU wont be gene@zordon -- of course) :lol:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just copy all the text in the box (green text, disregard CODE: SELECT ALL text)

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_i386.deb
paste into terminal and run. It will ask for your password. Let it run. Things should go ok. This fix has worked for others.
Good luck
Let us know how you made out. :wink:

PS. That is part of my signature, my systems.
merryoakparker
Level 2
Level 2

Post by merryoakparker »

Gene,
It worked!!!!! I'm up to date.
Thanks,
Merryoakparker
merryoakparker
Level 2
Level 2

Re:Question on Update Pack 3

Post by merryoakparker »

Gene et al,
So far things have gone great and I am updated as of now. I have several other issues which i will ask for help one at a time.

My update manager tells me that my system is pointing directly at debian-multimedia.org and that i should replace "security.debian.org with debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security"
as well as replacing debian-multimedia.org with debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia

I think i can replace it if i can find it. So how do i get there.
Toldja I was a real noobie.

Thanks,
merryoakparker
twa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twa »

merryoakparker,
to change your sources.list open the terminal and digit:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
and please post the outcome.
your list MUST be like this:
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
When an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread.
merryoakparker
Level 2
Level 2

Post by merryoakparker »

It is done!! Thanks.
merryoakparker
Level 2
Level 2

Next Problem, si vous plais.Assistance on Update Pack 3

Post by merryoakparker »

I'm trying to solve my Linux Mint Debian/Xfce problems in the order of importance (my opinion).

I've searched the forum as well aas the web and all i've found is confusing information. Currently Iam connected to the net via a Linksys/Cisco Valet wireless router. I am hoping to upgrade my other computers with Linux Mint Debian/Xfce, but have only one older WUSB54GC wireless adapter which works with LMDE and is in use on this computer. There is a lot of conflicting and confusing info out there about this problem,..and not just on this forum.

I do have several WUSB54GC version 3 wireless adapters which apparently need the software installed to work with Linux Mint Debian (they work with Mint 12 and other Linux distros as well as Windows).

Here's another "where do I go and how do I do it?" questins since I know nothing. Do i download the software and then install it into the version 3 adapters, or do I use a Windows XPSP3 computer to do it in one step? Again, please keep it simple for me.

Thanks,
Merryoakparker
chipbuster
Level 4
Level 4

Post by chipbuster »

Hey Merry. I'd just like to clarify your question here.

You have several wireless adapters that need a particular piece of software to function. You'd like to know where to get it/how to install it, correct?

Sorry if that's exactly what you meant; I'm trying to break a habit of answering questions people totally haven't asked.

If that is your question, do you know exactly what software you need (maybe a webpage link to a description)?
merryoakparker
Level 2
Level 2

Post by merryoakparker »

Chipbuster,
To answer your question, yes. Specifically, LMDE and Xfce are the only 2 LM distros I've used beginning with 7 through 12 which will not work with my Linksys/Cisco WUSB54GC Version 3 wireless adapter. From my research here and on other sites (other Linux forums and Windows forums) it appears that I need the Ralink 73 driver which is present in my WUSB54GC Version 1 adapter (of which I have only one). I've several version 3 adapters since I bought what was pictured (version 1) and received version 3's.
From a noobie's viewpont, the solutions offered on the various forums appear contradictory and complex. And there are more Linux distros (and Windows users) frustrated by this problem.

This brings me to two questions:
1) Is there going to be a "fix" for LMDE/Xfce so those 2 distros will go on-line as the WUSB54GC adapters are manufactured?
2) Is there a noobie-legible way to install Ralink 73 to WUSB54GC version 3.

To me, the "in depth" discussions posted here and on other forums are not comprehensible fixes because the posters fail to recognize how little I (and others) know. I like the LMDE and Xfce rolling distros because once installed with the help from the above posts, they work wonderfully well and I want to put them on the other computers on my wireless LAN. I, and apparently others, need a simple step by step set of instructions to solve this problem.

Thanks,
Merryoakparker
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

merryoakparker,
it's never a good idea to start new subjects in solved topics, the chances to get proper assistance to your [new] specific issue are drastically reduced;

anyway, since we are here :lol: let's see if i can help (and bare in mind that in no way i'm an expert in this:

- according to this http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/rt73 the rt73 is the driver for the WUSB54GC adapter v1 and is included in the kernel, that's why you plug your v1 adapter and kaboom!! you are connected :D

- for the WUSB54GC adapter v3 things are a bit more difficult (but just atm in LMDE because we are in a changing process) and why? the driver for v3 should be this http://wiki.debian.org/rt2870sta (also included in the kernel, so just plug&surf), but
Wheezy
The Ralink staging drivers were disabled at linux-2.6 2.6.35-1~experimental.3 and removed at Linux 3.0. See rt2800usb for device support.
this means that support was removed in the kernels available now in lmde :shock: call it timing :mrgreen:

- but :D http://wiki.debian.org/rt2800usb brings again the driver to the kernel (as you can see there v3 is supported in the 3.2.4-1 kernel (the one available now in testing and that you surely get when UP4 comes out - in a few weeks time)

[ bliss of ignorance ]
chipbuster
Level 4
Level 4

Post by chipbuster »

So when you plug these wireless adapters in, do they register in Linux? (I'm guessing no, just making sure).

Just FYI, drivers (the software that makes the wireless card go) are installed on the computer, not on the device itself. There's a different piece of software on the wireless stick called "firmware," but that's a story for another day.

Anyways, zerozero appears to have done some excellent research. You should get the driver update in a couple of weeks when the new kernel rolls 'round. If you can't wait that long, we can attempt to add the drivers, but it could get a little messy and technical.

If you want to add the driver manually, make a backup of your system and post the results of

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
And if you'd rather wait, that's fine :) Upgrades always run a risk of breaking something that can't be repaired.
merryoakparker
Level 2
Level 2

Post by merryoakparker »

Zerozero and Chipbuster,
Thanks for the replies. The reason I added this question to this thread was that I seemed to be on such a role in getting my Mint rolling distro questions solved that I hated to change to a "new pair of dice." Since I'll get the driver update in a couple of weeks when the new kernel rolls 'round, I can wait. I just wanted to know the status before I got into something messy and technical. And being a real noobie I can probably really screw something up easily and throughly. So I'll just hold my horses and avoid getting impatient.
Thank you for all the assistance and the info.
Merryoakparker

Return to “LMDE Archive”