UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
voss749
Level 2
Level 2

Update Feedback

Post by voss749 »

I like the look of cinnamon but its still too glitchy, which may be a ATI driver problem or something else.

HOWEVER, Mate has incredibly leaped forward since its first iteration. The newest version of MATE seems very stable and very clean. I would like to see a customized version of MATE for Linux Mint(which I suspect would be nothing more than changing the artwork)

Other things I noticed

-The lack of mint login background.
- I noticed the wifi issue which seemed to be fixed with a system restart.
maxic

Re: Update Feedback

Post by maxic »

voss749 wrote: HOWEVER, Mate has incredibly leaped forward since its first iteration. The newest version of MATE seems very stable and very clean. I would like to see a customized version of MATE for Linux Mint(which I suspect would be nothing more than changing the artwork)
Install Mate from official repository. Now it looks like Ubuntu not Mint. 'Open in terminal' disappeared from Desktop context menu. Menu Wine also disappeared from main menu. :(
grizzler

Re: Update Feedback

Post by grizzler »

maxic wrote:Install Mate from official repository.
Good idea. Problem is, it isn't in there (at least not in Incoming).
Menu Wine also disappeared from main menu. :(
As it does in Gnome Classic (aka Fallback)... :(
mockturtl

Re: UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by mockturtl »

vmware blocks the upgrade. Run /usr/bin/vmware-uninstall for instructions to remove it.

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/vmware-installer -l
/usr/bin/vmware-installer -u vmware-vix
/usr/bin/vmware-installer -u vmware-player
libpixman --> gdm3 --> xserver-xorg also got hung on Debian pin priority 500 (should be 700) in /etc/apt/preferences.
Ronis_BR

Post by Ronis_BR »

Just a minor problem:

The Wifi icon in Cinnamon doesn't have a good spacing:
teste.png
Thanks,
Ronan
rknize
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rknize »

Successfully upgraded a *clean* UP3 install on my MacBook Pro.

- There were quite a few debconf hits on files that appeared to have been modified by the Mint team. Are we just abandoning those?

- The Shell seemed to work as expected. Using Cinnamon now. It has some issues, but I don't think it is anything unexpected for Cinnamon.

- There is something wrong with font rendering, as others have mentioned. Switching to RGBA antialiasing with the gnome-tweak-tool helped.

- I also get that weird pink highlight on certain selected widgets. It doesn't seem to matter what theme I try.

I will try an upgrade of my main home PC sometime soon. It's been running LMDE since it was first announced and has had some packages manually upgraded from various places while UP3 was getting long in the tooth. I'll report back what happens.
ccerghe1

Post by ccerghe1 »

I'm running the XFCE edition. Installation went fine, except Thunderbird got removed in the process (other users have reported the same issue.)
Aditionally, the "softwarecenter" application was also lost... Gone from the menu, and cannot find it with application finder. I checked in Synaptic, and both software-center and gnome-app-install are not installed. When attempting to install them from Synaptic, they fail due to unresolvable dependencies.
rknize
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rknize »

The upgrade to my workstation at home went well. In fact, it went better than it did on my fresh UP3 install. The reason xserver-xorg and friends are being held back is because of libpixman-1-0. I picked that package up from wheezy and xorg installed from incoming just fine.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

rknize wrote:- There is something wrong with font rendering, as others have mentioned. Switching to RGBA antialiasing with the gnome-tweak-tool helped.
Here's a fix for the font rendering problems. You can easily copy the contents of the Mint/Ubuntu fontconfig-config package back to your machine. It's working a treat on my Debian Sid Xfce install.

http://noz3001.wordpress.com/2011/07/01 ... an-wheezy/

The original package can be gotten from Mint's Debian repository here: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Debian

Direct link to package: http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/upst ... u3_all.deb
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

The update was uneventful and Cinnamon came up without problems. The login screen backdrop is not scaled to the screen and there's a lot of flickering before Cinnamon loads. My two problems are:

..that I can not see the icons for network, bluetooth and volume. They all work when I click on them, but they are invisible. The battery and update icons are there together with date and time. Any idea how I can get the invisible icons to show?

..can't run Dropbox! I hope this gets fixed soon. I'll wait with my work machine until Dropbox is working.
whirly

Post by whirly »

installed a new theme and it killed my shell
as i'm one of the people from the other gnome shell fun stuff thread i thought it would be a simple fix, for that matter it should not have been a problem
it is not a simple fix and is a problem
looking glass won't work
left push to get tweak tool wont work--everything freezes
on the other hand cinnamon is fine
lxde is very fine
going to uninstall/reinstall some things from the lxde side and especially remove that theme
ordinarily tweak won't install a theme if it wont work or you get the sad face before it loads
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

..can't run Dropbox! I hope this gets fixed soon. I'll wait with my work machine until Dropbox is working.
open synaptic, search box, type dropbox, highligh nautilus-dropox (v. visible will be 0.6.7-lmde), now in the menu package > force version > in the new window choose 0.7.1-2 and install it.
installed a new theme and it killed my shell
are you sure it was a gnome-shell3.2 compatible theme? that kind of issues normally occur when you install 3.0 themes or extensions in 3.2 (or the other way around)
ccerghe1

Post by ccerghe1 »

Tried all the other shells (Gnome classic, Gnome, Cinnamon) they all look hideous. Don't understand why the fonts are so large, an there is no way to change them. I couldn't find any way to change the theme, desktop settings is worthless, etc.
On the other hand, my XFCE session (the default in the past) has the same appearance as before the UP4 upgrade.
And finally, does anyone know why the weird blue "drapes" on the logon screen?
whirly

Post by whirly »

hi zerozero
nope not a version issue
3.2 all around
i'm guessing usr/gnomeshell.theme vs gnomeshell.theme as the folder i deleted was all by itself
which makes the question--where is this tweak tool installing to, and where did it come from?

deleted it everythings fine
ec2011

Post by ec2011 »

rknize wrote:The upgrade to my workstation at home went well. In fact, it went better than it did on my fresh UP3 install. The reason xserver-xorg and friends are being held back is because of libpixman-1-0. I picked that package up from wheezy and xorg installed from incoming just fine.
Thanks a lot for the tip!
I have also downloaded and installed "lipixman-1.0_0.24.4-1" (version amd64 in my case) directly from debian wheezy. Afterwards, it was possible to update all the xserver-xorg packets.
All seems to be fine.
3 packets should be updated in UP4 repository: libpixman-1.0, libpixman-1-0-debug and libpixman-1-dev from "0.20.2-ubuntu1" to "0.24.4-1"
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

ccerghe1 wrote:Tried all the other shells (Gnome classic, Gnome, Cinnamon) they all look hideous. Don't understand why the fonts are so large, an there is no way to change them. I couldn't find any way to change the theme, desktop settings is worthless, etc.
Install gnome-tweak-tool and you should be able to access most of the missing settings. If you don't mind messing with stuff on a gsetting level, installing dconf-tools to get the dconf-editor wouldn't be a bad idea either. I really think these two should be present by default and a little more info about what went where should be provided.

I think I'll stay with Gnome Classic (aka fallback mode). Gnome Shell and Cinnamon are just too slow on this machine and according to the Gnome developer who ported gnome-panel to Gnome3, fallback mode will be available as long as Gnome3 exists (which kind of makes Cinnamon redundant anyway).
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

Gnome Shell seems stable and quick on my machines after having been running for a couple of days on each. As soon as I got the xorg updates installed the flickering during login disappeared, but I still think it takes longer for any DE to come up than it did before the upgrade. Seems like it may be a GDM3 issue. GDM3 still looks ugly since the backdrop isn't scaled to the screen. It's also a minor annoyance that touchpad tap to click doesn't work in GDM3. It works fine after having logged in.

I really like Gnome Shell and will have no problems adapting to it as my new DE although I use my "home brewed" DE most of the time anyway (Pekwm/tint2/xcompmgr).
ec2011

Post by ec2011 »

AMD/ATI video card - fglrx driver problem My graphics card is a HD6770 1GB GDDR5 - silent version.
After installing fglrx from UP4, I got an error at the end of boot saying that Gnome shell is executed in "restricted mode" and I am no more in Cinnamon environment. It's a kind of degraded Gnome 3 shell.
After complete uninstallation of fglrx packets, everything was back to normal.
I don't have time to investigate the issues with "fglrx " packets and risk also a complete failure of display, but it will be an issue for a lot of users that want to use 3D with AMD/ATI drivers.
It seems to have a first fix with the latest version of fglrx in wheezy and sid (version 1:12-1-2, in UP4 incoming repo it is only version 1:12-1-1): http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=660571
As there are still other bugs (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepor ... t=unstable ), I prefer not to risk a breakage of my LMDE installation...
But if some more experienced users are able to test the latest version of the different fglrx packages directly from debian and see if they can have fglrx working, it would be nice...
Ronis_BR

Post by Ronis_BR »

cdysthe wrote:Hi,

.... It's also a minor annoyance that touchpad tap to click doesn't work in GDM3. It works fine after having logged in. ...
Just add:

Option	"TapButton1"	"1"
in the file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf just before EndSection and touchpad tap will work for you in GDM3.
BRB

Post by BRB »

ec2011 wrote:AMD/ATI video card - fglrx driver problem My graphics card is a HD6770 1GB GDDR5 - silent version.
After installing fglrx from UP4, I got an error at the end of boot saying that Gnome shell is executed in "restricted mode" and I am no more in Cinnamon environment. It's a kind of degraded Gnome 3 shell. <snip>
I have the same issue; I have an AMD A8-3850 processor, which has an Raedon HD 6550D graphics processor. After the upgrade, starting Gnome3 I got the message indicating it was running in "fallback" mode. According to System Tools, Preferences, System Info, Graphics, the system is using the VESA: SUMO driver in Fallback mode.

I checked to make sure the AMD proprietary drivers (fglrx) were installed, and they are, except for fglrx-modules-dkms, which gives the following error when I try to install it:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 fglrx-modules-dkms : Depends: dkms (>= 2.1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I have dkms v.2.2.0.3-1 installed, so I'm not sure why I'm getting the above dependency problem.

The result is I can't seem to get the proprietary AMD drivers running LMDE, so can't use Gnome 3 / Cinnamon.

Return to “LMDE Archive”