Updating LMDE from the command line

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
swiftlinuxcreator
Level 2
Level 2

Updating LMDE from the command line

Post by swiftlinuxcreator »

I understand that the normal way of updating LMDE (last September's version) is to make the changes to the sources.list file specified in the latest update pack and then to run the provided update manager.

What's the proper way to do the same thing in command line? I know that making the same specified changes to the sources.list file and then running "apt-get update" are the first steps. What's next? Apt-get upgrade? Apt-get dist-upgrade? Something else?
äxl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Updating LMDE from the command line

Post by äxl »

swiftlinuxcreator wrote:Apt-get dist-upgrade
As root or with sudo of course. Maybe apt-get -s as an option to do a dry-run or apt-get -d to only download the packages. Because of server problems I downloaded the packages first. When this was alright I left the -d option out.
My Linux history: Ubuntu 10.04 - 10.10 - LMDE 201109 - UP4 My sources.list/preferences

Computers is not science. And it's not magic - it's something in between.
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

with a release like lmde (imo) we should use dist-upgrade
upgrade
Used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list(5). Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, nor are packages that are not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another package will be left at their current version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.
dist-upgrade
In addition to performing the function of upgrade, this option also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones, if necessary.
The /etc/apt/sources.list(5) file contains a list of locations from
which to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for over-riding the general settings for individual packages.

[ bliss of ignorance ]
äxl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by äxl »

Is this in conjunction with

Code: Select all

aptitude safe-upgrade
and

aptitude full-upgrade
I guess this would be more intuitive, no?
My Linux history: Ubuntu 10.04 - 10.10 - LMDE 201109 - UP4 My sources.list/preferences

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

aptitude safe-upgrade = apt-get upgrade

aptitude full-upgrade = apt-get dist-upgrade
but :arrow:

[ bliss of ignorance ]
äxl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by äxl »

zerozero wrote:but :arrow:
Uh, yeah, I remember this "feature".
You're right, just thought it might be less confusing. But since Mint is still relying on MU it doesn't matter I guess.

Return to “LMDE Archive”