Black Screen with cursor in after Login LMDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Jacek13
Level 1
Level 1

Black Screen with cursor in after Login LMDE

Postby Jacek13 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:47 am

I have a similar issue as described here, apart from startx command doesn't even cause any error, just shows me again black screen with mouse.
I'm running Nokia Booklet 3g on LMDE, the problem started after I updated a freshly installed system for the first time, and a while after finishing it I left it and the battery run out. I've just installed recommended updates (middle tier). I knew it installed new X server (I think) which said it includes Wayland support. Maybe that's a problem, GMA 500 had awful driver even for X Org, and for sure wouldn't work for Wayland.
I there any way to refresh it, or at least reinstall with keeping the home folder (which doesn't have a separate partition)?
Last edited by WharfRat on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to topic referenced by the topic poster
LMDE Mate on Nokia Booklet 3g with an SSD

mrmajik45
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Black Screen with cursor in after Login LMDE

Postby mrmajik45 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Use a Live USB and backup the home then reinstall.
The linux coder.

Return to “Newbie Questions”