Help me switch to Cinnamon

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Help me switch to Cinnamon

Post by ddurdle »

I'm a very long term user of LMDE (since 2012). I've been using LMDE 2 Mate. I've come accustom to my window manager and I'll find it hard to upgrade to LMDE 3 with Mate killed off.

I'm using Mate with Compiz. I've tried Cinnamon a long time back with LMDE but it was lacking a lot of key "day to day" features I required. But Cinnamon was in it's infancy back then, so I'm willing to re-evaluate.

I had a browse through some extensions for Cinnamon, looking for solutions for these key features I require:

Rotating desktop (found some solutions) -- good
Making a window sticky (always on top) -- never found any explicit extension for this
Resizing windows
Some dock similar to cario dock
ability to move the panel around on screen (screenshot attached)

When I am working on lite tasks, I often want to have a small video playing, so I usually make the player window sticky and resize it to thumbnail size and place it in an unused corner on the screen. This is where the sticky window and resize window comes into play. If I can find a solution for this in Cinnamon, I'll be sold.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Help me switch to Cinnamon

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can test the Cinnamon features by creating a love usb and booting from it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 amcreating a love usb
Awww.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Always on top is available via right-click on the titlebar of any windowed app in Cinnamon.

Similarly resizing Windows is just a case of grabbing a corner or edge with the mouse and dragging. There are a few exceptions for applications that hard code minimum dimensions but that's not a Cinnamon specific issue.

For video specifically you might find this thread useful - viewtopic.php?p=1471320#p1471320

For the dock - you can install Cairo or Plank in Cinnamon same as any other Desktop Environment.

Panels can't be dragged around, but they can be moved to any of the 4 screen edges and you can have 1 to 4 panels set up in a single monitor set up.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Flemur wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 am
deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 amcreating a love usb
Awww.
I meant live usb. Alas it was possible to make a love usb
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:29 pm I meant live usb. Alas it was possible to make a love usb
Like this one? https://imgur.com/gallery/obS8wgM
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

smurphos wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 pm
deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:29 pm I meant live usb. Alas it was possible to make a love usb
Like this one? https://imgur.com/gallery/obS8wgM
That's damn funny.
Regards,
Deepak

ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

smurphos wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:41 am Always on top is available via right-click on the titlebar of any windowed app in Cinnamon.

Similarly resizing Windows is just a case of grabbing a corner or edge with the mouse and dragging. There are a few exceptions for applications that hard code minimum dimensions but that's not a Cinnamon specific issue.

For video specifically you might find this thread useful - viewtopic.php?p=1471320#p1471320

For the dock - you can install Cairo or Plank in Cinnamon same as any other Desktop Environment.

Panels can't be dragged around, but they can be moved to any of the 4 screen edges and you can have 1 to 4 panels set up in a single monitor set up.
Thanks for the info.

Regarding "resizing window", I really mean resizing and scaling. See screenshot where I show a youtube page that has been resized. This is ideal for online videos and other content that cannot be easily played back in an external player that allows scaling the video.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

That's controlled by your browser - rescaling works fine for me in Chrome on Cinnamon.

That reminds me Chrome has also got a new picture in picture mode - you need an extension to enable it ...https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... klaeopbecg or https://github.com/beaufortfrancois/pic ... extension/

Return to “LMDE Archive”