Cycle Through All Windows on All Workspaces

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
idtent
Level 1
Level 1

Cycle Through All Windows on All Workspaces

Post by idtent » Tue May 12, 2015 6:58 am

Using LMDE 2 Mate. Can not find the setting for this in control center, keyboard-shortcuts or workspace switcher applet dialogues.

Also, wrap around does not work in workspace switcher panel applet.

kyphi
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Cycle Through All Windows on All Workspaces

Post by kyphi » Tue May 12, 2015 7:55 pm

In Cinnamon this is done by holding down Ctrl+Alt and using the left/right arrow keys.

Perhaps this will work in LMDE as well.
Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon - 64bit

idtent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by idtent » Tue May 12, 2015 9:25 pm

kyphi wrote:In Cinnamon this is done by holding down Ctrl+Alt and using the left/right arrow keys.

Perhaps this will work in LMDE as well.
This works. However, this switches workspaces. Alt-tab cycles through windows in a workspace. As in Linuxmint 17.1 XFCE Alt-tab can be set to cycle through all open windows on every workspace (Settings > Window Manager Tweaks).

Perhaps this function is unique to XFCE and not Mate. I've been using some flavor of Linux for over 15 years, typically but not always with the XFCE window manager, and do not recall not having this feature. Figured that I just had not found where to set in LMDE Mate.

jean.jordaan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jean.jordaan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:55 pm

idtent wrote:Alt-tab cycles through windows in a workspace. As in Linuxmint 17.1 XFCE Alt-tab can be set to cycle through all open windows on every workspace (Settings > Window Manager Tweaks).
I'm having the opposite problem. When I'm on workspace 5, there may be only two browser windows and a terminal. I want alt-tab to cycle through *only* these three windows. I'd also like the panel to show only these three windows.

Instead, alt-tab always ends up warping back to a browser window on workspace 1. The windows in workspace 5 are always at the *end* of the sequence, even though they were active.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:05 am

leucocyte wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 pm
Sorry to answer three years later.
You should be sorry, because you did not read or respect the forum rules (section II #2).

Return to “Newbie Questions”