Closing Lid Problem in Laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Locked
User avatar
Gameranand
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:00 am

Closing Lid Problem in Laptop

Post by Gameranand » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:27 am

Hello, I recently switched to Mint LMDE2 from Windows.
Everything is working fine but there are a few problems that I face and specifically this one.
Whenever I close the lid of the laptop, and I reopen it again then many times it just shows be black screen and nothing else. I tried to press some keys but nothing happens. I have specified the computer to do nothing if I close the lid, so basically it should work as usual and lock the screen. But when I open the lid its nothing nada.
In War, Victory. In Peace Vigilance. In Death Sacrifice.

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 12886
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Closing Lid Problem in Laptop

Post by Pjotr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:09 am

Gameranand wrote:Hello, I recently switched to Mint LMDE2 from Windows.
I don't know the answer, because I'm unfamiliar with LMDE. But I do want to say this: for a Linux beginner, LMDE is not the right choice. LMDE is meant for advanced and experienced Linux users.

Beginners better select the main edition. So I advise to consider a switch.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17827
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: Closing Lid Problem in Laptop

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:11 am

Gameranand wrote:I have specified the computer to do nothing if I close the lid
This is a potentially dangerous setting, as the laptop may easily overhead.

User avatar
Gameranand
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:00 am

Re: Closing Lid Problem in Laptop

Post by Gameranand » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:53 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
Gameranand wrote:I have specified the computer to do nothing if I close the lid
This is a potentially dangerous setting, as the laptop may easily overhead.
I do this when I have to download something in night while I sleep.

Also this is not a regular problem, I mean sometimes opening lid works just fine. But sometimes, it does happens. Till now it happened two times that is why I aksed here.
In War, Victory. In Peace Vigilance. In Death Sacrifice.

User avatar
Gameranand
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:00 am

Re: Closing Lid Problem in Laptop

Post by Gameranand » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:56 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Gameranand wrote:Hello, I recently switched to Mint LMDE2 from Windows.
I don't know the answer, because I'm unfamiliar with LMDE. But I do want to say this: for a Linux beginner, LMDE is not the right choice. LMDE is meant for advanced and experienced Linux users.

Beginners better select the main edition. So I advise to consider a switch.
I used to use Ubuntu but switched to Mint because of bloatware is Ubuntu in recent times. I used to use it a little because I am a gamer and because of that as you can understand using windows is compulsory. Recently I have paused gaming for personal reasons for some time and my laptop is not that good so switched to this edition to have very small footprint. And I should say that I am quite satisfied. :)
In War, Victory. In Peace Vigilance. In Death Sacrifice.

kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Closing Lid Problem in Laptop

Post by kevinthefixer » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:17 pm

You'll find that @pjotr has a terrible habit of being right. The main edition looks and acts much like LMDE2. And if it's light weight you want, consider the xfce desktop. I'm sure the "bloatware" in Ubuntu has been removed in Mint, if it was there to begin with; the few times I tried Ubuntu I never found any, but that's been awhile. In any case, it costs nothing but time to try it out, and you may find that your lid-opening problem disappears. If all else fails, you can set your screensaver to blank and simply leave the lid open.

User avatar
Gameranand
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:00 am

Re: Closing Lid Problem in Laptop

Post by Gameranand » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:49 am

kevinthefixer wrote:You'll find that @pjotr has a terrible habit of being right. The main edition looks and acts much like LMDE2. And if it's light weight you want, consider the xfce desktop. I'm sure the "bloatware" in Ubuntu has been removed in Mint, if it was there to begin with; the few times I tried Ubuntu I never found any, but that's been awhile. In any case, it costs nothing but time to try it out, and you may find that your lid-opening problem disappears. If all else fails, you can set your screensaver to blank and simply leave the lid open.
Ubuntu was awesome but then the Ubuntu One, ads in search etc pissed me off. And No Mint didn't had any bloatware to begin with, I love it.
I'll try your suggestion.
In War, Victory. In Peace Vigilance. In Death Sacrifice.

Locked

Return to “Newbie Questions”