New motherboard - do anything? Surge protection [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 2
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

New motherboard - do anything? Surge protection [SOLVED]

Post by ron_h » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:50 am

LMDE2 Betsy on desktop

May be a stupid question. My motherboard got fried in a recent storm. It's been replaced with a similar (not identical) one with a different CPU (4 core not 2 core). It boots up OK, but do I need to run any utility or configuration programs to -er- shake it down a bit ?

Ron
Last edited by ron_h on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Re: New motherboard : do I need to do anything ?

Post by LinuxJim » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:07 am

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install great-big-surge-suppressor
:) :) :)

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:14 am

Linux is usually pretty good about recognizing that it is running on different hardware.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:23 pm

> install great-big-surge-suppressor

Well, I will be doing that. However, the PC shop told me that the motherboard was fried via the ethernet cable, via the ADSL modem/router, via the telephone line. I also lost the ADSL modem/router and my cordless phone base station at the same time. It is my understanding a surge suppressor on the power line would not have helped in this case, and that I should pull the telephone cables from modem and cordless phone in future.

> Linux is usually pretty good about recognizing that it is running on different hardware.

Yes, indeed, but I thought it was worth asking the question

Ron

Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr. Octagon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:01 pm

ron_h wrote:> install great-big-surge-suppressor
It is my understanding a surge suppressor on the power line would not have helped in this case, and that I should pull the telephone cables from modem and cordless phone in future.
No, surge protection on the power line only wouldn't help you in your case... but I have an APC surge protection kit which comes with a power line, a MODEM/DSL/Cable line and a telephone line protection with it. All three connections are secured by ONE surge protector - It costs nearly 30$ at all.

You can search for APC (the name of the company).

Cu
Dr. Octagon
A good stumbler doesn't fall...

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:25 pm

ron_h wrote:It is my understanding a surge suppressor on the power line would not have helped in this case, and that I should pull the telephone cables from modem and cordless phone in future.

The better ones also have POTS and Ethernet connectors with MOVs inside for protection.

What most people don't realize, however, is that their expensive surge suppressor is only good for one or two strikes. They are designed to be self-sacrificing, so they only protect you ONCE. After that, need to get a new one...

Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr. Octagon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:38 pm

LinuxJim wrote:so they only protect you ONCE. After that, need to get a new one...
If you get an APC one... you get a new one if it was disabled by a surge! :) (look my post above!)

ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:33 pm

Many thanks, I'll investigate APC availability here in Australia

Ron

Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr. Octagon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:56 am

ron_h wrote:Many thanks, I'll investigate APC availability here in Australia
Sorry, as far as I have investigated on http://www.apc.com, my/an equivalent surge protect solution is available in every small (and even unknown) country... but not in Australia. But you can look for a local dealer who nevertheless introduces such thing. In that case, I think the warranty won't be the same as it is here in the EU (like lifetime exchange of the protector destructed by a surge for free; or if equipment secured by this solution gets damaged, because of a "production failure" of the protector itself, you might get up to 100000 Euro financial compensation).

Cu
Dr. Octagon

ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New motherboard - do anything? Surge protection [SOLVED]

Post by ron_h » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:13 pm

Fortunately, surge protection devices by APC are available in Australia. See

http://www.apc.com/shop/au/en/categorie ... _/N-2ndqjn

Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: New motherboard - do anything? Surge protection [SOLVED]

Post by Dr. Octagon » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:50 am

ron_h wrote:Fortunately, surge protection devices by APC are available in Australia.
Ok, you are right... before I couldn't find something for Australia, because I was searching for devices with 230 V and 50 - 60 hz specs (usually the normal case... but not for Australia and New Zealand - there is 240 V and 50 hz).

I was wondering, why just Australia wasn't listed... now I have learned something new. :)

Cu
Dr. Octagon

Return to “LMDE 2 "Betsy" Archive”