netstat looks to show I have 4 different IP addresses?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
markoff

netstat looks to show I have 4 different IP addresses?

Post by markoff »

Greetings all,

I am currently running Linux Mint from the liveCD ... more precisely I'm running LMDE 2 'Betsy' 64-bit with the Mate desktop. I booted a little while ago because I needed to print something and other than installing my printer and the dependencies for it ... oh and I also downloaded and installed Xsane using the Synaptic Package Manager. That is all I have installed but I noticed something strange. In the terminal app when I run netstat -au it appears that I have 4 different Ip addresses. Here is what I see:

mint@mint ~ $ netstat -au
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
udp 0 0 *:mdns *:*
udp 0 0 *:bootpc *:*
udp 0 0 192.168.1.25:netbios-ns *:*
udp 0 0 192.168.1.44:netbios-ns *:*
udp 0 0 *:netbios-ns *:*
udp 0 0 192.168.1.2:netbios-dgm *:*
udp 0 0 192.168.1.4:netbios-dgm *:*
udp 0 0 *:netbios-dgm *:*
udp 0 0 *:49562 *:*
udp 0 0 *:ipp *:*
udp 0 0 *:37180 *:*
udp6 0 0 [::]:mdns [::]:*
udp6 0 0 [::]:54854 [::]:*
udp6 0 0 [::]:50220 [::]:*
mint@mint ~ $

These results are a mystery to me because I am using only one network card on this computer and only one connection appears when I click on the network icon in my systray. The only explanation I can think of is that I must be running some program similar to VirtualBox that can incorporate virtual hardware .... Can anybody shed some light on this?

Any insight you can offer would be most appreciated.

Ciao for now,

markoff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markoff

Re: netstat looks to show I have 4 different IP addresses?

Post by markoff »

Thank you xenopeek for changing the subject line. I was thinking it needed to be changed myself.
markoff
mbod

Post by mbod »

Hello markoff,

this is not 4 IP addresses for your computer but 4 UDP connections from your computer to these ip addresses.
udp 0 0 192.168.1.25:netbios-ns *:*
udp 0 0 192.168.1.44:netbios-ns *:*
udp 0 0 192.168.1.2:netbios-dgm *:*
udp 0 0 192.168.1.4:netbios-dgm *:*
The ip address of your computer is not shown in the "netatst -au" output. Try "/sbin/ifconfig" to see all network devices and ip addresses of your computer.

Matthias
markoff

Post by markoff »

Please excuse me for not posting a screenshot in my initial post. If I had you would have seen that the IPs I am asking about are under the Local Address column.
Screenshot-Terminal.png
markoff

Post by markoff »

I did try to take your advice and check /sbin/ifconfig though. I tried to open it with gedit but it couldn't figure out how to open it ... the error msg said "gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding ..." There were two options in the character encoding drop down menu UTF and Western and I tried to open the file using both of them but neither of them worked. Perhaps the failing is with gedit? Is there a text editor that could do better?

Another strange thing .... when I run netstat -at I see connections only for the local address 192.168.1.44 ... there are none for the other 3 local IPs. One other thing I should mention ... there is nobody else on my router but me and all my computers are set to use dhcp. The dhcp server's range starts at 192.168.1.33 so the three other local IP addresses must have been set manually.

Regards,

markoff
markoff

Post by markoff »

I thought I should post a screenshot of my ifconfig results just in case there are any lingering doubts about whether the IP addresses I am asserting are Local are actually Local. So, here's my ifconfig data:
Screenshot-Terminal.png
I'm sure you will note that the IP address 192.168.1.44 is in the results and therefore could not be an IP for a remote computer. That means the other three IPs are also not remote, they are local. Strange that they don't show up in my ifconfig results though.

markoff
ccprog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ccprog »

netstat shortens its column to fit. If you try out netstat -aun, you will see that
  • 192.168.1.25:netbios-ns is really 192.168.1.255:137
  • 192.168.1.2:netbios-dgm * is really 192.168.1.255:137:138
  • 192.168.1.4:netbios-dgm turns out to be 192.168.1.44:138
So, two subnet masks and your own IP again
markoff

Post by markoff »

I am astounded. I had absolutely no idea this was what was causing it. Thank you everyone. You have removed a weight from my shoulders that I have had for far too long. I never would have figured this out on my own.

markoff

Return to “LMDE Archive”