world of tanks

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
james 777

world of tanks

Post by james 777 »

i downloaded world of tanks via play on linux everything seems to work fine untill i log in and my garage screen keeps fickering and going black then flickering and going black any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nanners

Re: world of tanks

Post by nanners »

Yup, the thought is "with WINE/PoL you mileage may vary..." :wink:

But really, there are so many factors at play here, least of which is the version of PoL or WINE. The greatest factor in the russian roulette of PlayOnLinux is your video card and the drivers you are using, specifically if you're on closed source or not and where your drivers come from (PPA or Catalyst or AMDGPU or open source) and if you are using Mesa/OpenGL AMD suite or the nVIDIA suite (can't recall name off-hand) and which version. Essentially your compatibility will vary system to system based on hardware, settings, kernels, drivers, etc., which is great when it doesn't work for the other guy, but it did work for you, but sucks when you are on the sad side of it. This could be said about ANY game on linux really, not just crapshooting with PoL defaults.

Basically, if you wanna start gaming with PoL, be prepared to dig deep into a lot of things you may have never even been aware of. It starts with their default settings wizard and turns into a trial-by-error hackfest where you work backwards from the wine versions being used to which kernel you have and the drivers for your video card. Lots of games can work if you tweak them long enough and that part depends on your patience and desire to play the game in question. Right now I think WoT is actually still in "testing" status with PoL too, which only makes it harder and most of the time if you get it to work, your performance is going to be something out of 2002 or so.

Note: without knowing anything else about your setup, the screen flickering and such is going to be driver-related 99.5% of the time. Make a full system backup and start there...

Return to “LMDE Archive”