Should clarify LM Blog description of LMDE 2 "Betsy"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jcoles
Level 2
Level 2

Should clarify LM Blog description of LMDE 2 "Betsy"

Post by jcoles »

Clem's Linux Mint Blog entry "New ISO images for LMDE 2 'Betsy'" of March 13, 2017 reads in part:
When ready, newly developed features get directly into LMDE 2, whereas they are staged for inclusion on the next upcoming Linux Mint point release. Consequently, Linux Mint users only run new features when a new point release comes out and they opt-in to upgrade to it. LMDE 2 users don’t have that choice, but they also don’t have to wait for new packages to mature and they usually get to run them first. It’s more risky, but more exciting.
I don't know why Clem says this. The truth is the exact opposite: LMDE is a very stable distribution that stands far back from the leading edge.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Should clarify LM Blog description of LMDE 2 "Betsy"

Post by xenopeek »

We're happy LMDE has treated you well!

Your personal past experience with LMDE does not dispute the facts about how LMDE works and what risks are associated with that. As a LMDE user you usually get new releases of Cinnamon, MATE and the Mint tools ahead of users of other Linux Mint editions. New releases brings new bugs. As such there is a higher chance a LMDE user will trip over a bug in a new release than a user of the other Linux Mint editions, as more users will have preceded the user of the other Linux Mint editions in using the software thus lowering the chance they will be the one to find a new bug. That you have not personally tripped over such bugs is credit to the developers but otherwise anecdotal; the risk still exists with new releases.
Zill

Post by Zill »

jcoles: I think the confusion here is that Clem's Linux Mint Blog entry basically referred to software developed by the Mint team, such as the software listed by xenopeek.

Underneath the LMDE2 software is, of course, the Debian stable base (currently jessie) which does tend to use older software, unlike the main Mint releases which, with their Ubuntu base, tend to use newer versions.
jcoles
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jcoles »

Zill wrote:jcoles: I think the confusion here is that Clem's Linux Mint Blog entry basically referred to software developed by the Mint team, such as the software listed by xenopeek.
I'm still somewhat confused.
Is there anything in the latest LMDE2 ISOs that is newer than in LM 18.1?
Would it be correct to say that the LMDE2 is ahead of Linux Mint only at certain points in the development cycle? When is the next time that will happen?
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

I think this outdated description mainly refers to the old LMDE 1 (built on Debian Testing). In my view, description could be updated.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I too thought that description was quite odd.

Now I re-think it light of the Mate 1.8 update >> viewtopic.php?f=236&t=244807

I am a long time LMDE Mate user (donor and sponsor also), a big fan of Both, but more a fan of Mate/Gnome 2.

Mate, as implemented and modified by Mint, has been slowly modified and has taken on the look and feel of Cinnamon. That focus on Cinnamon is clear.

It hit home in the first week of May. We are guinea pigs, beta testers. I misunderstood, thinking it could be a workplace distro.
That's fine, somebody needs to do it, and I am willing and somewhat able.

At this point I miss LMDE. It is truly elegant, I just don't use it for work now, only as a secondary play thing.

PS: Thanks xenopeek
Last edited by sdibaja on Wed May 24, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You're not beta testers (that's what romeo is for). But yes you get new stable releases of Linux Mint developed software in a semi-rolling fashion.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

jcoles wrote:
Zill wrote:jcoles: I think the confusion here is that Clem's Linux Mint Blog entry basically referred to software developed by the Mint team, such as the software listed by xenopeek.
I'm still somewhat confused.
Is there anything in the latest LMDE2 ISOs that is newer than in LM 18.1?
Would it be correct to say that the LMDE2 is ahead of Linux Mint only at certain points in the development cycle? When is the next time that will happen?
I think we will soon see Cinnamon 3.4 also the latest ISO is more all the updates that have come out since LMDE2 was released until this point. I believe our next stop will be LMDE3 once Debian 9 Strech is released, so hopefully before this year is over, but we will see.

Return to “LMDE Archive”